It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival herbs for medicines+Primitive living how-to

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I discovered this tidbit of information and thought I would share it. I started thinking of what would happen if medications were not available, specifically insulin for diabetics. I came across this and maybe it will be useful knowledge for someone someday.

Fenugreek seeds or commonly known as Methi seeds

findmeacure.com...

In addition, fenugreek seeds contain chemicals that slow down the time that food takes to go through the intestinal tract. As one result, sugars are absorbed from foods more slowly and blood sugar levels may not rise as high or fluctuate as much as usual. Fenugreek may further affect blood sugar levels by decreasing the activity of an enzyme that is involved in releasing stored sugar from the liver into the blood. Also, fenugreek contains an amino acid called 4-hydroxyisoleucine, which appears to increase the body’s production of insulin when blood sugar levels are high. For many individuals, higher insulin production decreases the amounts of sugar that stay in the blood In some studies of animals and humans with both diabetes and high cholesterol levels, fenugreek lowered cholesterol levels as well as blood sugar levels. However, no blood-sugar lowering effect was seen in non-diabetic animals. Similarly, individuals with normal cholesterol levels showed no significant reductions in cholesterol while taking fenugreek.

They are also known to be a natural cure for arthritis. They clean the intestines if taken 2 a day. It's good for ezcema.

I just thought if you have a diabetic relative and can't get insulin in a survival setting, this might be good information. Maybe you can grow it yourself, or stock up on the seeds. I know insulin can't be stored for a long time.

I bought an old book that has many, many recipes, instructions, and how to's for doing lots of things that would help in a survival situation. It was written in the very early 1900's. It's not a survival book, but most of the things in it would work in a survival situation. It's very interesting and has a lot of great ideas.

edit: I checked my book and it was published in 1878.

[edit on 23-2-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this great info
Possibly being without insulin is something to be thought about. Your book sounds interesting, could you share the title? I have a couple months of winter reading time left, maybe I could find and read it.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The book is called Dr. Chases recipes or information for everybody. I found an online version somewhere and decided I wanted the hard copy. I bought mine off ebay. It's got Everything from bee-keeping to ferrier info to medicinal/herbal recipes, to how to cure/smoke hams, cabinetry gunsmithing, blacksmith,leatherworking, and food recipes.

It was first printed in 1867 and ended in 1920. Very good book for learning how to do things in a more primitive way.

edited to say: I found an online version. You can read it here.

digital.lib.msu.edu...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Thank you for this link. I've been collecting and printing this type of information just in case things go south and our society returns to a more primitive time.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I had hoped more people would read this thread. Dr. Chase's book could be very helpful in a survival situation.

I posted the link to the free ebook in one of the above posts.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I didn't see this mentioned, so I thought I'd add it. I don't really have a source, other than life experience, if that counts.

When my wife and I had our first child, she had difficulties breast feeding, and quit for a while, and then later thought she would like to start again. She did a little research, and Fenugreek will dramatically increase (or bring back, provided it hasn't been too long after a birth) breast milk production. This isn't just a home remedy. After she found this out, she went to her doctor to discuss it, and the doctor confirmed this, and in fact told her that Fenugreek is regularly prescribed to new mothers with breast milk production problems. The best part is that it's over the counter, it's completely natural, and it doesn't harm the infant AT ALL.

So, if anyone is close to new-parent age, it may be wise to keep some on hand just in case of some kind of social collapse, even if you don't have any kids now.

Later.

top topics

join