It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we ending torture?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

I only came this far into the thread and had to comment.

Any left-wing, politically correct do-gooder would say "that's ok, you don't have to tell me, that's your right."

This issue has nothing to do with left-wing as you say do-gooder's. It is about being a better human being, it is about not going to the level of an animal mind to defend yourself.

To not extract that information, when you know full well that they have it, would be the same as pulling the trigger.
Do-gooders, wake up.

Do-badder's wake up (to reverse your gooberesk word) we pulled the trigger a long time ago in backing and supporting cray tyrants for greed and wealth. We can stop pulling the trigger any time now.

Do your self a favor and look into the blowback we have created. Its all out on the Internet for you to find. I lived through those times and knew then what we were creating. The people that pull the strings in this hell want you to think like you are displaying here. Dont fall for the game. We cannot lose our moral compass if it means the cost of thousands. We can fix this situation and not make it worse by torture, we can set an example if we had real leaders that would tell the truth. The world would of come running to our door if we had done the right thing after 9/11 and told the world that we have been wrong in the past, that our corporate greed and an out of control military industrial complex is directing our compass.

Instead we took advantage of a horrible situation that in turn caused the world to hate the USA again. Educate yourself.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

"Why are we ending torture?"

Unfortunately we are probably not actually ending torture.

Torture produces bad data. Not only that but it sets the bar for your enemies to torture you.

Civilized societies do not torture, and since we currently do, we are not a civilized society in my opinion.

Also, we outsource torture to contractors, and other countries. So it will never really end unless our government gets reset, and re-built by moral, decent people.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What makes you think were actually ending torture. You would be incredibly naive to believe Guantanamo was the only place people are being tortured. The fact that the common American even knows about Guantanamo is enough for me to think their are many more of the same places some probably much worse.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Torture is what keeps America seperate from terrorist countries. We've entered into contracts with the civialized factions of the world community so that captured American soldiers won't be tortured. If you can't understand that then you must be a Bush republican. Prosecute members of the Bush administration for torture so we can be free from the stench of an evil world power that the Republicans have put us in. Do what's right in world community & America will finally rise as a just nation instead of falling into the "Evil Empire" we have been led!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Why do you want to be tortured? Cause if you unitentionally bring, oh say a sharp object.. or some suspicious items on a plane, than guess what... YOU'RE THE TERROSIST in "their" eyes.

YOU might need to face charges of beeing a terrorist in your own country. Think they wont torture you for some reason then? you're a terrorist.

Besides, what wont a person under torture admit?? Even if he's innocent.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

You can harm them to whatever extend, they won't tell you. They'd rather die than say anything.

id rather kill them and not torture

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Why do we still try to fight wars with are hands tied behind are backs. The only way to win a violent confrentation is to take it to a level the other guy wont go beyond. Mabey we should set the terrorist up at a Holiday Inn then they can see that America aint as bad as they thought.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If there was no Why? I could have accepted this topic.

The US now educates other people to do the dirty job for them so they can keep their hands clean.

So don't ask Why... ask When?

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Congratulations on posting the most ognorant and foolhardy thread it's been my misfortune to come across.
Why are we ending torture?

Because it's immoral, unjust, inhumane and quite frankly the last stop before descending back into the stoneage. Just because the terrorist scumbags do it doesn't mean that we have to descend to their level. We are better than that.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No one deserves to be tortured dude. I hope that this short sighted view isnt shared by too many people the world around

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The.Gunslinger

No one deserves to be tortured dude. I hope that this short sighted view isnt shared by too many people the world around

yea its only ok that the criminal does the torturing to the innocent

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The torturing without trial will not end.

Only the location of such acts will change. Gitmo was too visible anyway...

What would our forefathers say....

Insane.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Im sorry but I believe in torture to get information. As long as it doesn't kill or permanently maim, Im for it. If it saves one innocent life then go for it. At least we don't behead them and post it on the internet for all to see. So i sat tit for tat, eye for eye and tooth for tooth. Why should we take the high moral ground when our enemy's doesn't.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa
Im sorry but I believe in torture to get information. As long as it doesn't kill or permanently maim, Im for it. If it saves one innocent life then go for it. At least we don't behead them and post it on the internet for all to see. So i sat tit for tat, eye for eye and tooth for tooth. Why should we take the high moral ground when our enemy's doesn't.

At least you apologise for your beliefs concerning torture!
There is no excuse for torturing another person. When you go down that road you soon end up in the gutter with the terrorists. You say, an eye for an eye- tooth for a tooth, tit-for-tat. . . This is what happened in Ireland and the revenge killings there just made the problem continue for longer than it otherwise would have.
As soon as you start morally justifying the torure of terrorists, or anyone for that matter, you may as well pack up your belongings and go home as the opposition have already won.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

I'm sorry, you missed the quotation marks around 'information'. As has been stated countless times here a person will say anything to stop unbearable pain.

I'm sorry but if it destroys three innocent lives its not worth it! What if the person being tortured is innocent? Implicates someone who is innocent? Not to mention what you're corrupting your despicable flesh into by torturing the innocent man, acting as if he's guilty!

Why should we take the moral high ground when the enemy doesnt? Because it makes US the enemy of the world!

...and at least when they behead someone the pain ends, and there are no scars for life...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Civilized people do not use torture.

It's not right in any situation.

Until mankind realizes this we are not going to "progress" as a species.

Let's torture you are saying.

Come on you can't be that barbaric.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

NO ONE should be torturing anyone.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Golden Rule).

Question, are you a "christian?" just asking out of curiousity.

Your line of reasoning is exactly what has made this entire planet a very dismal and sick place.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
did anyone see that movie taken? it worked then

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.

Originally posted by HooHaa

At least you apologise for your beliefs concerning torture!
There is no excuse for torturing another person. When you go down that road you soon end up in the gutter with the terrorists. You say, an eye for an eye- tooth for a tooth, tit-for-tat. . . This is what happened in Ireland and the revenge killings there just made the problem continue for longer than it otherwise would have.
As soon as you start morally justifying the torure of terrorists, or anyone for that matter, you may as well pack up your belongings and go home as the opposition have already won.

ok so we arent allowed to do that at all?

so if a bully beats you up at school, you should just stand there and take it? sorry i was always tought to fight back harder than what you received, and i will go through life like that.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Now you compare torture to being pushed on the playground??

Pushing that guy back wont end anything, but if you do it back I have no problem. Thats your call. But we're talking about causing fellow human beings unfathomable pain. Not like that bully is pulling out your fingernails or beating you while you're tied to a chair.
So called terrorism isnt as simple as "daddy beats me so I take it out on smaller kids". Theres a whole lotta politics behind it. If you want to get the metaphor correct though maybe you should add in that you broke into his holy house, killed his family and bombed his possessions, and THEN he started fighting you. Who's really the bully..?

I seriously dont get the deal with you folks though. Have you no morality?? That is rhetorical by the way. Obviously you dont. Do you have to be tortured before you disagree with it?!!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

ok so we arent allowed to do that at all?

so if a bully beats you up at school, you should just stand there and take it? sorry i was always tought to fight back harder than what you received, and i will go through life like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But terrorists aren't bullies and a fight in a schoolyard in no-way compares with physical torture! It's a ridiculous statement. . . Believe me, I too have had to fight my way out of a few hairy situations when I was a kid, and as an adult come to think of it, but you can't use it as an excuse for torture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join