It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush declines hardware store job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Bush declines hardware store job

news.bbc.co.uk

George W Bush has paid a jokey visit to a hardware store in Dallas, Texas, which offered him a job as a greeter.

The former US president entered the Elliott's outlet with his security detail saying "I'm looking for a job", store manager Andrea Bond said.

The owner of the Texas chain made the offer earlier this month in a letter published in a Dallas newspaper.

But despite not yet having a publisher for his memoirs, Mr Bush decided on reflection to turn the job down.

Equipped with a name tag
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Mr Bush and his wife Laura moved into their new home in an expensive area of Dallas on Friday. They have kept their ranch at Crawford, Texas.

i am Curious do all Ex presidents get a Secret Service Security detail? or is it just him because hes hated so much?

anyhow looks like his memoirs arent going anywhere anytime soon
and they seem to have cashed enough over the last Few years to buy a new expensive home

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
All presidents get the same treatment from secret service after they are president.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Mr Bush and his wife Laura moved into their new home in an expensive area of Dallas on Friday. They have kept their ranch at Crawford, Texas.

i am Curious do all Ex presidents get a Secret Service Security detail? or is it just him because hes hated so much?

and they seem to have cashed enough over the last Few years to buy a new expensive home

news.bbc.co.uk

I've read that ex-presidents get 10 years of security services after they leave office.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes they get security detail after they are out....They used to get LIFE TIME protection...However:

[President] Bush first ex-prez to face limit on Secret Service protection
McClatchy Newspapers ^ | January 4, 2009 | Maria Recio

Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 9:04:47 PM by 2ndDivisionVet

However, Bush will be the first president not to benefit from one former lifetime benefit: Secret Service protection.

"He'll be the first one to receive it for 10 years," said Malcolm Wiley, Secret Service spokesman. Congress changed the law in the 1990s so that any president elected after Jan. 1, 1997, and his or her spouse will receive the federal protection for only 10 years.

www.freerepublic.com...

[edit on 2/22/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Lol.. I love this remark. ""We think you'll find working with us much less stressful than your last job," the offer continued. "

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

What a stroke of luck home prices have dropped 60%. Lucky George.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hopefully, Bush Derangement Syndrome doesn't last for another 10 years.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Why couldn't they have offered him a job seven years ago, before Iraq!? Maybe he would have thought, "Hey, despite what God wants, I think I'ld have more fun here." Then he could have said, "Sure, when do I start?"

The nerve to give him a shirt! A shirt to the man who was the leader of his party, whose philosophy of deregulation and then self-regulation led to taking the shirts off many a back in America and around the world.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
No doubt the hardware store enjoyed the publicity. I think the whole thing was a joke that gave both of them a laugh.

I'm not surprised the Bushes could afford an expensive home in Dallas. Presidential pensions are good and they had a lot of money before going into the White House. The Clintons bought a pricey house in New York state after he left, and they weren't super rich before.

What with speaking engagements and writing and various philanthropic endeavors to keep them busy, ex-presidents are well and profitably engaged for the rest of their lives.

top topics

join