It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.380 ACP ammo, where has it all gone?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Looks like ammo is coming back. I'm seeing more and more, back on the shelves. Maybe not at Walmart etc but, your gun stores etc.

I'm finding .380 ACP, in alot of places, I haven't seen it before. Either the Obama scare is over or production is up. Whatever the case, it's coming back.

I'm also, finding it easier, to get ammo for my Glock 27 and 33.

Okay, I have to whine. No the .380 auto or ACP, is not a revolver. Where did anyone get that idea.

Yes, a .380, can be a great, self defense fire arm. A .22 can be, in the right hands. The secret, is training. Learn how to use the firearm of choice. Practice, practice, practice.

I will promise, if you can handle the gun, in an educated manor, your 2 and 1 method will work. Just practice.

Don't think, you can buy a gun, go to the range, shoot it a few times and be good.

Go to the range, on a regular basis, with those human silhouettes and practice it. 2 to the body, one to the head.

If you can do that, by instinct, your golden.

Practice, practice, practice

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rcmaness

Absolutely RC. I recently purchased a Ruger LCP, and I like the way it looks, and love it for the unparalleled concealability, and ease of carry. But for now I HATE to shoot it. Let me 'splain, no wait... let me sum up. I am admittedly spoiled to high end full size autos with custom springs, hot rodded triggers, and all the cool stuff. Ruger did a great job on the elsie pea. It does it's job perfectly. It is more than acurrate enough. The sights though small are useable, and dead on out of the box (cuz you can't adjust them anyway.) It easily shoots 2" groups or better at 25 yards. My trivial complaints are that it is very snappy on the recoil. I know 200-300 ft/lbs of force at the muzzle of a 9 oz gun. What do you expect? and the trigger pull is LONG, and hard. This is by design however because being DAO is the only safety on the weapon, and who would wear it inside the waist near or aimed at their junk if it wasn't dual action only?

Point being. If I ever had to defend life, and limb the chances are exponentially greater that I would have this little buddy with me as opposed to it's bigger siblings because the unexpected happens well... unexpectedly. Who carries a Kimber custom 1911 to the grocery store, really? (I know someone somewhere does, but...) The best tool is the one with you when you need it. When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. So I realize that even though the LCP isn't a "super fun" shooter it is the best choice for me for personal defense because it can be taken everywhere without raising a fuss, and being conspicuous. So fun or not for the next few weeks it's me, and lil' elsie at the range til' we work out our differences, and using it becomes second nature, and I quit whinnin' about the long pull, and the snappy recoil. I have some wolff springs, and a grip extender on order for it though to help with that a little. I can't help it I gotta hot rod everything

Very true about the .22 too. Shot placement is everything! A .22 with hot loads, and good shot placement will get the job done.
Ammo is getting easier to find, and the price is becoming reasonable again. I have a guy now I can get all the .380 I want for about 40 cents a round for cheap stuff, and about 80 cents a round for cor-bon powerball which is a really good personal defense round. It's mainly the powerball ammo that really smarts in the LCP though. That little dude packs a wallop for such a small thing! I would shy away from flirting with the loud end of it. That's my only other trivial gripe is that with a 2.75" barrel It's a LOUD mouse. Lot's of bark, but just enough bite. So later today I'll go practise what you preach RC. Practise, practise, practise.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I have a .380 and I love it! Easily concealed is an understatement. We had a guy hiding out in the woods behind our house who raped an elderly woman and a two year old baby girl, and a boat load of cops parked in our driveway. I was walking around in shorts and a tank top with my .380 in my back pocket and not one cop spotted it. I guarantee it would have done the job had this dude showed up at my door or in my house!

Practice is right. When you can hit a bat with one you know you've practiced enough (I know, bats are good for all you bat lovers
but they make excellent targets!)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Why oh why are people still buying ammunition from stores?

I buy locally because, in all honesty, the prices are at least as good as online. Also I can walk in, pay CASH, and leave with as much as I want or can afford. No one asks any questions and no paper trail. That isn't important to some, but it is to me.

Also, it helps support our local economy. That is also important to me.
edit on 31-10-2010 by stasis because: more words.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
I have a .380 and I love it! Easily concealed is an understatement. We had a guy hiding out in the woods behind our house who raped an elderly woman and a two year old baby girl, and a boat load of cops parked in our driveway. I was walking around in shorts and a tank top with my .380 in my back pocket and not one cop spotted it. I guarantee it would have done the job had this dude showed up at my door or in my house!

Practice is right. When you can hit a bat with one you know you've practiced enough (I know, bats are good for all you bat lovers
but they make excellent targets!)

SMS - Presuming you have a concealed carry permit, or live in a state where a permit is not needed for CC (a la Alaksa), then you are aware you should still notify an LEO, if you are carrying, should he approach you in official police business? Just throwing that out there.

I buy my plinking ammo from walmart, and have noticed there is SOME .380 available. I carry a .40 with a .38 as a BUG, so dont use .380 myself. But i still keep an eye out for it, as some of my friends have them. The best place i've found for ammo online is Lucky Gunner They have some of the best prices i've seen online in a while. There is also another one AmmoEngine who are kind of like an ammo broker for various sites.

Just figured i would throw those out into the mix

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
If you happen to have a Farm and Fleet in your area or a Rural King, they usually have WalMart beat by 4 or 5 bucks a box. For example for my 9mm I can get a box of 100 for like $28 at Wally World, and $22 at Farm and Fleet

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shaolin_dragon

Well, I had the gun in my back pocket within my own home.... AND the policemen were on MY property, which is why I went out of doors with it still in my back pocket on MY property. I live very rurally. Besides, most of the LEOs that were here usually drop by on their days off to shoot skeet with us, and they pretty much knew I'd be "packing" with that dude running loose in the back woods. I'd have done things differently had I lived in town or in a city ........ wait, never gonna happen!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

reply to post by shaolin_dragon

Well, I had the gun in my back pocket within my own home.... AND the policemen were on MY property, which is why I went out of doors with it still in my back pocket on MY property. I live very rurally. Besides, most of the LEOs that were here usually drop by on their days off to shoot skeet with us, and they pretty much knew I'd be "packing" with that dude running loose in the back woods. I'd have done things differently had I lived in town or in a city ........ wait, never gonna happen!

Do you think the cops care? It's like expecting the cops to take off their shoes if they enter YOUR house because those are YOUR house RULES. There's such a thing as being "dead right." I think you were lucky.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

~I~ wasn't the reason they were here ~AND~ they know me. Seriously, I want to know, why should I have announced that I had a gun on me? It is my RIGHT to carry a weapon on my own rural property any time I want, any how I want. IF they'd been here for me I'd have told them I had it on me. I don't think I was lucky, I think I was within my constitutional and God given rights.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

~I~ wasn't the reason they were here ~AND~ they know me. Seriously, I want to know, why should I have announced that I had a gun on me? It is my RIGHT to carry a weapon on my own rural property any time I want, any how I want. IF they'd been here for me I'd have told them I had it on me. I don't think I was lucky, I think I was within my constitutional and God given rights.

I guess you're right.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaolin_dragon
SMS - Presuming you have a concealed carry permit, or live in a state where a permit is not needed for CC (a la Alaksa), then you are aware you should still notify an LEO, if you are carrying, should he approach you in official police business? Just throwing that out there.

Having been pulled over by a cop for having the wrong shape of license tag holder on my vehicle (a favorite excuse here in AZ), all while carrying, I was not required by the law to inform him that I was carrying, unless he asked me, and he didn't. After checking my details, he gave me a warning and off I went.

It went smoothly and without any fuss, why would I want to complicate that by introducing a loaded and concealed firearm into the equation?

He was very pleasant by the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join