It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One amazing photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
This is a great once-in-a-lifetime shot:

Thousands of starlings form the shape of a giant bird of prey in spectacular dawn sight

Source

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Wow! That is the best picture ever!
the forms they make are amazing.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Thats an awesome picture

2nd line

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
it looks like an eagle!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I always stop to watch when I see these massive flocks of birds,

I remember reading a National Geographic last year that went on to describe the way birds do this, something along the lines of being aware of every small change in direction of the birda around it.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Very nice find! I have read somewhere before that birds will do this, it is a group effort to protect themselves from prey. Reminds me of the geese, flying in a 'v' formation, they do that because they can actually fly faster while in the 'v' than when they are not. Thanks for the pic!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is the first year in my area that the Starling's wont here. They fly in huge flocks like that, then merge with other flocks.

I don't think "National Geographic" is correct in their analysis of there "in flight awareness".

To me, it looks as they though fly in a constant ratio with the birds around them. The ratio between birds changes just the same as the ratio between notes in a song change. If anyone has ever "jammed" with musical instruments, you know that all you need is the groove and you don't have to focus on the individual notes. National Geographic is focusing on the situation in the same way an untalented individual would approach a jam session. Instead of focusing on the song/groove, they are focusing on the individual moment/note.

In other words the bird isn't up there going "Where is the other bird, did he move right, okay I have to move right... Whooa he moved down and left, now I have to move down and left.."

Its a song filled with pleasant ratio's. Just the same as song in the key of G will sound discordant with any sharps other than F, the birds fly under the same rule of "pleasant ratios".

-----------------------------

Good pic OP. I'm wondering where all the starling's went in my area, probably has something to do with it being so cold this winter..

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Wow! That almost looks as if it was photochopped. To me it looks like the flock formed a giant predatory bird figure in the sky lol.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What a nice way of looking at it - yes 'Jamming in the air'.... nice

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
i hate to be the one to disapoint you but I think Geoff Hall is a well known 3D artist.. i remember seing his 3D renders at various 3D gallery sites.
Maybe my memory is wrong..

top topics

join