It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police swoop on protest ship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Police swoop on protest ship.

www.themercury.com.au

POLICE boarded the anti-whaling ship Steve Irwin when it arrived in Hobart last night and confiscated the ship's log book and video footage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I thought i would post this here to stimulate debate on scientific whaling.
(IF proven true.) Is it necessary to use a shot gun on a harpooned whale? Is this a scientific method of study?

Has this been blown out of context? Or is this just normal whaling procedure? What do you think about it?

Peace.

www.themercury.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I support the "protestors" and am glad they made it back to Australia before being seized by Japanese comandoes on the high seas if that is true. There is no reason to kill those magnificent creatures. We should be studying how to communicate with them and how they communicate with each other over vast distances. I have heard that whale meat is not very tasty and we don't need whale oil for lamps so what is the point? The crew would welcome being arrested so they can take this issue to court.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
You would think that we would beyond the point of having to use whales. Anything that they were used for can be make synthetically. We have the technology. There are other ways to study them. There are plenty in captivity if you need to study anatomy. The only studying in the wild I can think of is that of social order and communication. That doesn't require harpooning them.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I think that this is great news that somebody is finally doing something about these ignorant, irresponsible and basically lunatic protesters. Personally, I hope they get the book thrown at them.

Whatever your views on whaling, you have o admit that the antics of these protesters have been lacking rationality, civility or basically common sense. At the same time, i think Japan has shown amazing restraint by not sinking them to the ocean floor. Only reason I can think the haven't is that they might feel morally bound to take on any swimmers, and I wouldn't want them on my boat either.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I could be wrong on this,but i believe the reason why the "steve Irwin" is chasing the scientific whaling ships in the southern ocean is because the "scientists" are harvesting in a whale preserve.

Are they doing the right thing due to the fact that no government is upholding the sanctuaries boundary's from illegal hunting?

Or are they ( in the act of whale preservation ),making things worse for the cause that they claim to uphold?

top topics

join