It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TED Prize 2009 video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Just want to push for an interesting video with Jill tarter from the SETI org. It's her TED award speech and its really good, puts things in perspective, as always when you talk about the vast universe but she does it very well.

URL
www.ted.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think Michio Kaku went on about how SETI is going about it the wrong way. Truly intelligent civilizations would be using the entire spectrum to communicate and we're looking in the wrong places and listening for the wrong things.

That being said, this is a cool video

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldgoat
I think Michio Kaku went on about how SETI is going about it the wrong way. Truly intelligent civilizations would be using the entire spectrum to communicate and we're looking in the wrong places and listening for the wrong things.

You don't suppose that we're "looking in the wrong places" so that nothing is found in the "right" places? I agree that limiting ourselves so will greatly disadvantage us in finding other intelligent signals.

And the only logical reason *I* can think of to be hunting in the garden and not out in the woods, is that there's something to be found in the woods and the ones who are providing the "fire power" for our hunt don't want us bagging something.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
You don't suppose that we're "looking in the wrong places" so that nothing is found in the "right" places? I agree that limiting ourselves so will greatly disadvantage us in finding other intelligent signals.

And the only logical reason *I* can think of to be hunting in the garden and not out in the woods, is that there's something to be found in the woods and the ones who are providing the "fire power" for our hunt don't want us bagging something.

Now we're getting into personal feelings
I personally feel that SETI is fluff....something for the general public to see and think that nothing is out there

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Try Glies 587. Little Munchkins homeworld.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by oldgoat

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Now we're getting into personal feelings
I personally feel that SETI is fluff....something for the general public to see and think that nothing is out there

True, but my suggestion would explain the very odd choice to limit the search, n'est pas? I fully agree with you that SETI is a betrayer of the humans on this planet, misdirecting and putting on a big show for us.

Yes, it's a personal feeling, but it is based on knowledge, contemplation, and a wee cut from Occam's Razor.

new topics

top topics

join