It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Peanut Allergy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Cure for Peanut Allergy

www.timesonline.co.uk

A group of children with severe peanut allergies have had their conditions successfully treated, allowing them to eat nuts without suffering any reaction for the first time....
Researchers gave small daily doses of peanut flour to children with severe peanut allergy to help them to build tolerance to the nuts over a six-month period. By the end of the trial, the children could eat up to 12 nuts a day without suffering a life-threatening reaction in the form of anaphylaxis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bounty.com
www.devonshirelodge.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Connection between asthma and paracetamol

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is great news for the sufferers but what concerns me is that why do we have so many sufferers. Is this because the government recommended not to give small babies/children (under 5 years) peanuts for fear of choking? So we remove the small risk of choking and replace it with the much larger risk of contracting the allergy (1 in 200 according to the BBC / 1998).

Makes you wonder why we have so many coeliacs in the UK - when medical thinking even 20 years ago was not to have wheat introduced into baby food for the first 3 months?

I have printed a number of these articles where medical "expertise" is overturned a few years later sometimes with the damage already done. Wheat is a classic, ever wondered how coeliacs survived in the middle ages when the european staple food was cereal based?

www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yeah I just saw that on Fox News, It was conducted in China I think.

I thought it was great since everyone seems to be allergic to peanuts these days, they even banned them from some schools, now we can eat them without killing people next to us

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Actually, this treatment can be done with any allergy. Don't try this at home, kids.

Just as someone can develop an allergy to things not previously a threat to them, they can reverse allergies by slow, small incremental increases of the allergen into their environment/diet.

Seriously, don't try this at home. Need at least an epi pen on hand when dealing with potential anaphylasis.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight

Cure for Peanut Allergy

www.timesonline.co.uk

A group of children with severe peanut allergies have had their conditions successfully treated, allowing them to eat nuts without suffering any reaction for the first time....
Researchers gave small daily doses of peanut flour to children with severe peanut allergy to help them to build tolerance to the nuts over a six-month period. By the end of the trial, the children could eat up to 12 nuts a day without suffering a life-threatening reaction in the form of anaphylaxis.

Related News Links:
www.bounty.com
www.devonshirelodge.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Connection between asthma and paracetamol

AMAZING! Wow, ok this is proof. What really pisses me right off, is germ nazi parents, and I am sure everyone here knows one or two of these individuals.

They are the individuals who chase their kids around and continually sanitize their hands, and the surfaces that they play around to "ensure they're safe". When I was kid, I NEVER washed my hands, my parents NEVER sanitized ANYTHING, and me and my brother were outside playing in the dirt all day, that was life.

Now grown up, I haven't been sick in at least 7 years, haven't had a headache or ailment in at least 10 years (can't even remember the last time, could be even longer)

I have a firm belief that the reason why I do no get sick is because my immune system was continually strengthened due to its encounters with germs over my life. Our immune system is an awesome machine, and it can learn to fight anything in small doses.

This study right here proves what a misguided attempt these germ nazi parents are taking. It is HURTING their children and they're completely ignorant to disagree.

Its funny how people can never use common sense. 20 years ago, childhood sickness was less prevalent than today, and guess what also was less prevalent? Germ nazi parents.

IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN DO NOT RUN AROUND SANITIZING EVERYTHING YOU ARE HARMING YOUR CHILD FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE! UNLESS YOU PLAN ON FOLLOWING THEM AROUND TILL THEYRE 80 SANITIZING EVERY SURFACE THEY ENCOUNER!

You are disarming their natural system and they WILL pay for it with their health during their life.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
depending on what part of the peanut they are allergic too, the solution may not apply to this observation, but some people are allergic to anything in a shell. the commonly shared ingredient is iodine. so would the treatment also desensitize people with that particular type of allergy to peanuts/nuts/shellfish, etc. ? i wonder.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What I don't understand is that in the 60's and early 70's you never heard of anyone being allergic to peanuts. My school and almost everyone else I know served peanut butter sandwiches. I wonder if something has altered the DNA of the peanuts since then causing these allergies? Or maybe those who were allergic to them just died and nobody knew why. It is just really weird to me.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
I have a firm belief that the reason why I do no get sick is because my immune system was continually strengthened due to its encounters with germs over my life. Our immune system is an awesome machine, and it can learn to fight anything in small doses.

I was one to let my baby get exposed to dirt and "germs" - not as in going out of my way, but just not worrying. She is now six and except for the chicken pox and one time she tossed her cookies (as it were), she has not been sick at all. (I also breast-fed her until 2, though I was mashing up "big people food" for her at 6 mos.)

She doesn't even get sniffles!

So I agree that allowing our immune systems to handle the little stuff, we are better prepared for bigger stuff, and will be healthier in the long run.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
People all over the world have different diets, most pastural communitys developed to carry on making lactose their whole life so as to be able to break down milk, many other peopls around the world did not.

Diet is very much a cultural thing, the body adapts to what is available. That said lots of people are born or develop dodgy immune systems, guts, etc and can't eat certain things, these are no doubt some of the vast swath of reasons people randomly died before medical science was here to save them.

A Person with lactose intolerance probably can't be taught how to make lactase to break milk down, as a diabetic can't make insulin - however a hay fever sufferer or someone with a nut allergy which is caused by an over reaction of the system, similer to anaphylactic shock from a bee sting has been known to be able to 'train' themselves to a higher tolerance for a long time, i've always delt with hayfever the old wifes tale way, with a long walk in a field spring of rape. However, i am quite aware this could kill some people.

That they've now managed to use this to all but cure one of the most annoying allergys is great news, maybe now schools will be able to feed kids the ultra healthy nut products which health and safety banned.

oh course a large group of scientists still maintain that allergys are all in the mind, a rather violent example of the nocebo effect. Certain stimulus such as a bee sting causes a sensation in the brain which is unknown so the brain reacts badly and panics, this increased message is passed back to the brain which then amplifies it again causing a 'feedback loop' within the autonomic nervous system.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Very glad this is being discussed.

I'm afraid I posted it yesterday, though:

Hope over Peanut Allergy 'Cure'

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

I was one to let my baby get exposed to dirt and "germs" - not as in going out of my way, but just not worrying. She is now six and except for the chicken pox and one time she tossed her cookies (as it were), she has not been sick at all. (I also breast-fed her until 2, though I was mashing up "big people food" for her at 6 mos.)

She doesn't even get sniffles!

So I agree that allowing our immune systems to handle the little stuff, we are better prepared for bigger stuff, and will be healthier in the long run.

Congrats to you! Kids are meant to be kids! As a fairly new mother/father im sure you've seen the other parents that I am refering to, the germ nazi parents. Running around with their sanitizer and wipes making sure everything is clean.

Then they honestly cant figure out why their kids are always sick. Ontop of that first problem, these same parents then rush their kids to the doctor so they can begin their life of perscription drugs and the detrimental effects that those come with.

Thumbs way up, to you and your decision to not be a germ nazi. Your kid should thank you someday, if they ever figure out why they aren't getting sick while their friends ARE!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Congrats to you! Kids are meant to be kids! As a fairly new mother/father im sure you've seen the other parents that I am refering to, the germ nazi parents. Running around with their sanitizer and wipes making sure everything is clean.

Oh yeah. The GN's are Hughes-like!

Then they honestly cant figure out why their kids are always sick. Ontop of that first problem, these same parents then rush their kids to the doctor so they can begin their life of perscription drugs and the detrimental effects that those come with.

I try to avoid doctors in all but life-treatening situations. I keep her un"vaccinated," and the "hardest" drug she got with chicken pox was calamine lotion. I agree, Big Pharma loves to give stuff to us that makes us come back for more stuff to treat the side effects of the first stuff!

I mention this in my book (linked in my sig. It's FREE.)

Thumbs way up, to you and your decision to not be a germ nazi. Your kid should thank you someday, if they ever figure out why they aren't getting sick while their friends ARE!

I suspect my daughter will have a clue and will thank me. And I thank you for your thumbs. [smile]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Please post in previous ongoing discussion

Previous

Closing

Thank you

Semper

top topics

join