It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Superguns' of Elizabeth I's navy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk...

The English navy at around the time of the Armada was evolving revolutionary new tactics, according to new research.

Tests on cannon recovered from an Elizabethan warship suggest it carried powerful cast iron guns, of uniform size, firing standard ammunition.

"This marked the beginning of a kind of mechanisation of war," says naval historian Professor Eric Grove of Salford University.

"The ship is now a gun platform in a way that it wasn't before."

the First ever Superguns of the English Navy
they just created a replica, looks like it kicks a hell of a Punch.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Good day,

I would really like to know more about the topic. Do you have any other information or sources that you can provide.

Thanks for the effort and the interesting topic.

Thanks for your time,

Arcticnull

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I read this at another site but I enjoyed this post.

It does point out how a technological advantage can really give you a real advantage when involved in military pursuits.

Good post

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcticnull

i am still waiting to see the reports on the damage this causes
all they have done so far is Test Fire it,
so it will be intresting when they show the findings

edit: Its going to be aired tommrow so (i think) people in the US can watch it aswell on iplayer after its aired on TV

[edit on 20-2-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It was called the Long Tom. It was a cannon with a long bore which gave shot fired from it greater velocity and thus greater range. The numerically inferior Elizabeth's fleet chased the Spanish Armada up the English Channel firing at them out of range of returning fire from Spanish ships.

The same kind of range battle is going on now with tank guns pushing ranges out to 3000 metres. Then the Soviets developed a range of laser guided anti-tank missiles which could be fired from tank guns out to 5-6,000 metres.

top topics

join