It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military’s killer robots must learn warrior code

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Military’s killer robots must learn warrior code

technology.timesonline.co.uk

Autonomous military robots that will fight future wars must be programmed to live by a strict warrior code or the world risks untold atrocities at their steely hands.
The stark warning – which includes discussion of a Terminator-style scenario in which robots turn on their human masters – is issued in a hefty report funded by and prepared for the US Navy’s high-tech and secretive Office of Naval Research .
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Goddamnit, haven't you people done enough damage? Now you want T-1000's on the loose, along with aliens and terrorists? Well, if Judgement Day goes down, at least the TPTB is going with us; those robots didn't care who you were. But honestly; they KNOW this can happen...and they don't care?! That's the most negligent thing on their part.

technology.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
wake up.they dont CARE about you,or other people.they care about themselves,and their money,and their power,and so long as they have all those things,they will continue to ruin the world.robots wouldnt be that ahrd to program...maybe a few hundred "rich mens" faces into it not to kill,and let it kill anyone else it desires...

it can,and will be done.hell...maybe they done it already

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Darky6K

It's just a matter of time before this happens. We wont see it in our lifetime, maybe our children or grand children will see this.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Why should Americans risk their lives in hostile foreign countries when we can send robots to do the dirty work?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Attackhoe

I know they don't care, somethings still surprise me though. Though if it gained AI, what's to stop the Terminators from going rogue?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Darky6K

The "warrior code": A robot is only in the following cases allowed to kill a human

- if the human is the war-enemy
- if the human is a muslim and has a rucksack (in London)
- if the human has a turban and a gun
- if the human is in Gaza
- if the police tells the robot to kill a human

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
It's the natural evolution of weapons, after all, some of today's weapons are alreay "smart".

Darky6K
You should use the title from the news article for your threads on the "Beaking Alternative News" forum.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
Why should Americans risk their lives in hostile foreign countries when we can send robots to do the dirty work?

Why is America IN foreign countries?

Think about that before you want to send the robots in.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Darky6K

Good topic for a thread, Darky, Flag & Stars!

But the Nuns at my old grade school might wanna wash your mouth out with soap for that opening word!

I'm sure there exists secret facilities already experimenting with advanced robotic designs for killing machines. Ironic that they talk of a "warrior code" for such instruments, when most warriors have a code of honor stating: NO WEAPONS. Hand-to-hand only. I know, I know, we're way past that old-fashioned thinking, but I'm wondering how those militants in Afghanistan feel, after witnessing their buddies blown to bits by unmanned aircraft drones launching missles, when they don't even have a rudimentary air force of their own?

Fairly emotionaly heated with rage & disgusted by the 'lack of honor' in warfare, I imagine. Which only creates more hatred of us, and breeds new generations of haters of us, continuing an un-ending cycle of pre-emptive strike & kill; and then deepening disgust and anger and hatred of our tactics. Not to mention the increasing numbers of innocent civillian deaths from these strikes, causing outcry & condemnation by the global community. It's obvious insanity, and a betrayal of public trust to use linguistic deception through the use of press and TV to call 'them' the terrorists!

I support our troops, and would defend my country if needed. I'm only taking a look at the long-term effect of such a psychological battering that takes place with these kinds of strategies. They're teaching their next generation to hate us, and we keep giving them the reasons. As well as ignoring our own allies gradual separation and withdrawl from said action.

For those who would tell me that our troops need to keep out of harm's way in battle, and need to operate with less risk, I say I agree with you, and to make that happen, one logical way would be to GET THEM HOME!!!

(Insert a saluting icon here)

[edit on 2/20/2009 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Couple of points here...

If you were using machines to fight for you and you were fighting a nation that also has an advanced weapons system they could render them useless with something like an EMP.. and then also probably steal the technology.

And giving something AI and a set of codes to go by doesn't mean anything they'll never have something that can replace a human's way of thinking on the battlefield, humans abilities for decisions relating to the situation played out in front of them, or pre-emptively being able to make the right call in any given situation, a machine just couldn't do that.

It'd jus deploy into an area and flatten anything programmed in as a target - regardless of whether it was even a threat or anything like that

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Two words.
Off Switch.
If they make any type of AI governed robot or machine in general, warrior or not, remember to put a bloody off switch on the thing.
But in their haste, I'll bet dollars to dough nuts it slips their mind to do so.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It doesn't matter, the humans are creating a new life form here. Eventually they will lose control because AI evolve much faster than human intelligence. Either the human also has to evolve using cybernetics enhancement or wage the final full out war where one will annihilate the other completely.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Programming or instilling a code of honor or warrior code, in a machine is a very good idea for preventing a rebellion from AI robots. This idea of robots that may kill is essentially a means to control all out destruction, and prevent civilian casualties.

Also, a robot that may be used to kill, doesn't have to be in a populated area. What if it was sent down into a Taliban cave to hunt down and root out terrorists? And there just happened to be innocent people being held captive. Instead of following a pre-programmed order to kill everything in the cave, it saved those people and only killed the terrorists.

Might this not be the reason for ensuring that robots used to kill, could also be used as robots to save and protect? Does no one ever consider the dual role these machines can play?

Could a robot used to kill, also be used to rescue miners trapped in a cave, or people from a collapsed building? Pull a family out of a burning house, or even children trapped in a car that is sinking in water?

Think out side of the damn box people, you are ATS'ers and are better than that.

Now a little something on warrior codes:

The unwritten Samurai code of conduct, known as Bushido, held that the true warrior must hold that loyalty, courage, veracity, compassion, and honor as important, above all else. An appreciation and respect of life was also imperative, as it added balance to the warrior character of the Samurai. He was often very stoic with a deep and strong philosophical passion. He could be deadly in combat and yet so gentle and compassionate with children and the weak.

Bushido

Warrior Ethos

The Warrior's Code

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

I'm wondering how those militants in Afghanistan feel, after witnessing their buddies blown to bits by unmanned aircraft drones launching missles, when they don't even have a rudimentary air force of their own?

Fairly emotionaly heated with rage & disgusted by the 'lack of honor' in warfare, I imagine.

Thanks for the best laugh I've had today.

However, since these emotionally heated and disgusted by the lack of honor in warfare militants are offering $25,000 for a female coalition soldier (only $5,000 for males) and would gladly relieve you of YOUR head without a second thought, I'm thinking "buddyhood", honor and dealing with emotional turmoil are somewhat lower down their list.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wachstum
- if the human is the war-enemy
- if the human is a muslim and has a rucksack (in London)
- if the human has a turban and a gun
- if the human is in Gaza
- if the police tells the robot to kill a human

1. Anyone can be labelled an enemy (you?!)
2. Traveller??
3. Police with a religious background?!
4. Civilians populate Gaza!
5. Humans have biases!

Originally posted by undermind
However, since these emotionally heated and disgusted by the lack of honor in warfare militants are offering $25,000 for a female coalition soldier (only $5,000 for males) and would gladly relieve you of YOUR head without a second thought, I'm thinking "buddyhood", honor and dealing with emotional turmoil are somewhat lower down their list.

Could that possibly be, propaganda?
I dont know about you but I personally miss the days before planes and bombs and tanks and ICBMs and machine guns. Technology just makes war unfair. War no longer decides who is capable, it decides who is richest.

As for the problem of robot mutiny, I think Brannigan said it best:

Zapp: "You see the killbots have a preset kill limit; knowing their weakness I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shutdown."

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Although the Bushido was a code to live by , don't forget that Samurai warriors could kill someone , anyone who didn't show them 'proper respect' like bowing as they went by.

All hail the mighty warmech,

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya

1. Anyone can be labelled an enemy (you?!)
2. Traveller??
3. Police with a religious background?!
4. Civilians populate Gaza!
5. Humans have biases!

No sense for humor, eh?

Beside that: Robots AI is so precious, if only it was used to make food cheaper, not to kill people. Unfortunately, too many people prefer dead humans over cheap food

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You just solved the problem!
Dead humans and cheap food!
Oh wait they made a movie about that already.
And it was called...

GHOSTBUSTERS

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's funny This is what the amerian goverments spends huge amount's of your money on. To develop new ways of killing people.
And then will donate Billions to African country's to even it out

------------------
------------------
If this report was written then i do belive there has been some showing of some exretemly advanced tech, to officials. And they may have witnessed a horrible accident...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join