It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White people avoid race topics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Luckily I was brought up in a family that taught morals. I have taught my kids that as well. To respect everyone. No matter what there skin color is. I have to say that my kids NEVER heard the N word until the Blacks moved into our community. Then they heard the Blacks calling each other that. At which point my son who was 8 at the time looked at me and said Mama whats a N? I told him if he ever said that word again I would wash his mouth out with soap until when he couldnt taste food for a week.

To me the prejudice stuff is a bunch of bull. The only people prejudice is the blacks themselves. They are the ones complaining about everyone talking bad about them.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
ether we don't have anything to add to the conversation or we think the it's dumb.

Yep. And let me add that we aren't obsessed with skin color. It just doesn't matter. We don't care. We are colorblind and think that people are ignorant when they shove skin color in someone else's face.

** and by 'we' I mean those that agree with me.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Were tired of people looking for a reason to whine. The chimp cartoon was just another whine from people who wern't smart enough to think about what was said. The racist only connected the chimp and Obama. Obama wasn't even involved the chimp was COMGRESS!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
On a similar, but side, note... isn't it funny how during the Presidential campaign, never was race brought up regarding Obama... but did you notice during the Nov 4th coverage, all you saw on TV were black people?

And they all did the "raise the roof"... way to put what was all accomplished back by a few decades.

And on an addition side note, what is an African American? Isn't that considered having duel citizenship? Am I a European American then?

Nope, wait... I was born here, so I guess I'm just American.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I'll agree to this study. I think the main reason for this is that we hear race shoved down our throats, and everyone is equal, and you cant be racist all growing up...except in places like Alabama
jk.

The feeling is that there are so many white racists, that most white people will go out of their way to agree with a black person just so they "aren't that guy". I honestly think that is how Obama got the white supporters he did. "I don't want to be the racist that DIDN'T vote for the black guy". But, for the fact of it I think mostly, it's self preservation kicking in. ANY person, surrounded by 15 of his opposites, they wouldn't spout off that Pepsi tastes better than Coke. Just doesn't make sense.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
alot of white people here will say they aren't afraid to discuss the "race" topic.
they'll type on the internet all night long about it.
but when surrounded by african americans in a nightclub..
or hispanics in a barrio marketplace?

I wouldn't talk about that irrelevant racist crap here, or in a nightclub.
Because its pointless and stupid.
Seeing as though we are all a part of the HUMAN race.
Well most of us anyway.
I believe this is called, race baiting.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

Well most of us anyway.

Are you kidding ?_javascript:icon('
')

[edit on 20-2-2009 by orkson]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
If a white person doesn't have anything intelligent to say about race, then they should just shut the hell up and smile.

The same thing goes for everyone else and any other subject.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

Love your humor, Hellish-D !

"I forbid you to say that the sky is RED !
Same thing for any other person giving any other color to the sky !"

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
I wouldn't talk about that irrelevant racist crap here, or in a nightclub.
Because its pointless and stupid.

the topic is called "white people avoid race topics", if race is irrelevant to you, why on earth would you click on the thread? it's clearly about race!!! if it's too pointless and stupid to discuss, why read and post on this thread?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pmbhuntress

You don't hear the youth in a white neighborhood issuing racial slurs to each other. For whatever reason, it is not the same in mixed or black areas.

It is amazing to me that kids really do not know about race issues until pointed out by adults.

Just an observation, and in no way a critique of your situation. I believe innocence is lost at the expense of the ignorance of others, be it kids playing on the street or parents talking loosely in the presence of their own, and others' children.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The bottom line is, minorities need to stop having a reverse racist mind. There the ones who make white people feel uneasy about race. If I saw a group of young white kids playing on a jungle jim, I might say, Oh man look at those crazy monkeys. Now if I saw a group of black kids playing on a jungle jim, I couldnt say that now can I. It would be a harmless comment meant to describe some kids playing. But these people who carry a race card will get all bent out of shape, calling me a racist and a bigot for saying that, when there the ones with a racist mind. Its a lot like having a dirty mind, For example if I say BJ. What do you think of? Now ether your confused or I just proved you have a dirty mind.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Most white people avoid race topics simply because any criticism of non-whites is construed as racism.
It simply isn't worth the hassle.

I can be in no way be called a racist; unfortunately some of my opinions are deemed such.
I take anyone as I find them.
I know some absolute horrible, evil, paranoid, selfish, lazy bastards who are black.
I could also describe a lot of white people exactly the same way.
Unfortunately the black people who are like that think I dislike them because they are black; wrong, it's because they are what they are, horrible, evil, paranoid, selfish, lazy bastards, pretty simple really.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

Blue Jean ?
Banana Juice ?
Born Jew ?
Or ... ?

- B### J## !

Ouch ! I missed it.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by orkson

Biological differences make the black d**ks much bigger than whites'.

Hey guy, speak for yourself.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
A black friend of mine brought up this topic with me, about how the first thing white people will ignore is the colour of a black person's skin. But, seriously, how do you acknowledge it without causing offence?

How do you know that the person you are dealing with would feel comfortable if you 'acknowledged' it?

Black people come from all over the world, there is a big difference between African, European and American blacks the same as there is a huge difference between whites from all over the world.

How stupid and crass would a white person look high-fiving a black person (irrespective of that person's culture) with a cheery 'Yo, bro!'

My policy is to treat everyone with the same courtesy and consideration I would hope to receive from them, until or unless they upset me.

Sometimes I feel I would like to wear a badge saying 'If you don't mind me, I don't mind you. And if you do mind me, go to hell'.

And I've been on the receiving end of a lot of prejudice myself, it comes from living in a multi-cultural society where people from all cultures can be ignorant and bigoted.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Why do I as a white person need to acknowledge skin color when I converse with another? That doesnt make sense.

I have no problem discussing race, I do have a problem getting others to talk about it without using the nonsensical pc buzzwords, like diversity(ugh).

I never mark my race on forms, either, I always put human. That question needs to be erased from all forms.

I just do not understand why white people would have a problem discussing race with black people, wouldnt that be the perfect time to get your thoughts out and discussed??

eta,

As far as avoiding the race topic, when my son was mugged in school by two black thugs, I most certainly was not the one avoiding race. I brought it up, and was called a racist, to which I replied no I am NOT. They were black and they were thugs. In my city, it seems that race is avoided being talked about intelligently, and is now discussed in those sickening pc terms of diversity and such.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I am not racist . . . I hate everyone equally

But seriously . . . the biggest racists are the ones claiming others are racist

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
One of my closest friends is black and we have DEEP conversations about race. Neither of us get insulted, actually we end up agreeing on the views by the end of the conversation.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

White people, even children as young as 10, avoid talking about race because any opinion may appear prejudiced, according to new research, but that approach often backfires as blacks tend to view that approach as evidence of prejudice, especially when race is clearly relevant.

makes a certain amount of sense. every word can be like treading on eggshells with some people and you never know who's going to blow when. case in point...just yesterday at lunch i had a black co-worker go racist on me when i expressed the opinion that that cartoon in the NYPost wasn't racist. she screamed at me that i as a white chick had no right to even form an opinion on it?! what the heck? at that point i had the option to, as this study says, retreat and let it lie, or address it. i chose to address it and probably didn't get my point across at all. it's often hard to with racists.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join