It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else with me on this???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
A little while back, I was at Toys R Us getting a present for my little brother, when I noticed something on the shelves in the game section. A ouija board!!! A F@$ing ouija board in F@$$ing Toys R Us!!! Does anybody else agree with me in that this seems a little wrong?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Why? a oujia board IS a board game, is it not?

or are you expecting a TOY store, of all places, to be restricted by so-called religious guidelines?

a toy is still a toy.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
ToysRus has been selling Ouji boards since I was a kid and before.

Not too shocking and really not all that popular compared to the new games.

I betcha the Oujis have been on the shelf a long time.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
That's not that weird. Where else would you buy one? And I'm pretty sure Ouija boards are made by the Parker Brothers company or Milton Bradely.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
A ouija board is something that only people with sheer knowlege of the subject should be using. It's not a GAME. I guess some people could consider it a game...but if they were selling games that pushed christianity, I bet people would get all in an uproar. I mean..little kids contacting the spiritual world without even knowing it??? Nobody else agrees with me on this?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I bought one twenty years ago it was right beside of the monopoly game, they have always sold them in with the board games, I did however have to go to a specialty shop to buy my tarot cards. I know their supposed to be a gift but the money I used to purchase them with was a birthday gift.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
nope - no one agrees with you

Seriously though, they ARE toys. they are mass produced just like everything else and they do not let kids contact spirits or devils.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
I mean..little kids contacting the spiritual world without even knowing it??? Nobody else agrees with me on this?

Little kids, and not only kids, are contacting the spiritual world without their knowing it all the time. Does that mean that everyone should walk around with a tape around their mouths and a straight jacket?

And besides, the game itself is more based on the movements of someone's hand than some kind of guidance from an etheric body.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I can see your point. Game or no game, something seems quite morbid about stocking a toy store with something who's primary intent is talking to the dead. Parker Brothers makes them and has endured criticism for it for years from not only the deeply religious but from other groups and individuals as well.

I used one once in college because my dorm was an female dorm years before going co-ed and supposedly some young lady had hung herself from the steam pipes that ran overhead. There had been several odd occurances so one night some freinds brought one down and the results were speculative. I remain skeptical to a degree of what we learned but was able to verify the name "she" gave in an older yearbook at the library.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ouija boards? morbid?

Dudes, get a grip. Anyone who thinks they are contacting the spiritual world through a ouija board has been officially slapped in the face.

Honestly, whenever your friend says "Oh my god, that wasn't me!" They are liars. Believe me I know. I am your friend. And I AM moving the board.

Even if you could contact the spiritual world, you think kids will care? Maybe the reason you think its crazy is because when you were a kid, talking to ghosts might have freaked you out. But now, honestly, kids will not care. They get more stimulation by Law and Order CSI, Resident Evil, and Dawn of the Dead. You think Ouija boards are "morbid"?

I could flip through the TV and find more morbid things.

Besides, do you really think a spirit is going to waste their time on some kid who bought a glow and the dark ouija board for $5.99? I know that if I was ghost, all I would say is, "Get a life man! Why are you sitting in a darkened room trying to talk to people that don't exist??? GO READ A BOOK!" Then I would shake the wwall s and cause lighting to occur to scare the # out of them.

[Edited on 4-15-04 by Scat]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well I wasn't really completely serious about that. Parker brother does make that, but it still seems a little wrong to me. More funny than wrong... yeah it probably is just a subliminal thing moving the board anyway. My stupid friend had one a while back, we asked it a question that only one of us knew the answere too, then the one who knew the answer wasn't allowed to touch the board. It didn't move

God

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
They've sold them in toy stores for as long as I can remember. In fact, the first time I used one was in second grade. In class. The other kids were playing Connect Four and Don't Break The Ice. Hehehehe

*shrugs*

No bad spirits have ever bothered me... I think...
Probably will now that I said that... hehe

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Herman! I agree with you! It does seem kind of wrong to me that they'd be selling a product known for these strange occurances and such in a toy store for children. But since skepticism is the ruler in the world today, I don't think anyone will ever actually stop it because "technically" it is a game. Personally I don't think it's a game, and I refuse to use them for personal beliefs.

PS. For all you skeptics, of course it's not going to seem real to you, YOU DON'T BELIEVE! Belief is key for faith, because they're one in the same. I don't believe that aliens are currently hiding in certain military bases, and so to me, there's a lot of crackpots out there and even on this site (but that's why I love it!
) But it's all a matter of belief, because to the people that believe, it's very serious, and to the rest, it's a load of sh
t. To me, ouja boards are just another way for evil "spirits" - or whatever you want to call them - to try and control us, but to someone else, it's just a harmless little game in which your subconscious moves a stupid little dial across a board with numbers.

Matter of belief

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think an ouija board belongs in a store, where we keep all the rest of the crap, until we buy the crap, and take the crap home.

Those things are in the store because they cost $.89 to produce, and sell for sixteen bucks. It's a piece of wood with a sticker on it in a box. That's ALL!!!

Deny Ignorance,
DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostProphet
PS. For all you skeptics, of course it's not going to seem real to you, YOU DON'T BELIEVE!

Belief, or buying into a flim flam? Dude, you've obviously been visited by me, maybe youre that kid who "the spirits" (cough cough ME PUSHING THE BOARD) told you that the world would endon March 15 1998. Who knows?

But seirously, come on. You start blaming Ouija Boards, then Magic 8 Balls, then Tarot Cards (they DO sell them at toy stores, I bought some ha!), then Forutne Cookies, then Rorschach Ink Blot Tests, and then the $5 Palm Readers at School Carnivals!!!

Come on, who is really going to change the world by talking to a fold up board...with a little plastic magnifying glass.

It's almost as funny as the Torah Wordsearch.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It does seem rather strange firstly to market it as a 'game' and then to have it near the kiddies toys.
I wouldn't want one, but if you really one a 'high class' board just check out ebay.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yeah it's strange but you have to understand that it was first marketed as a toy a looong time ago, when such practices were probably more accepted.

Really it's probably no more psychologically manipulative than stocking a G.I. Joe complete with super bazooka, chaingun, combat knife and attack dog.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
It's the parents choice on whether they should buy it or not. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to know what it is.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
A ouija board is something that only people with sheer knowlege of the subject should be using. It's not a GAME. I guess some people could consider it a game...but if they were selling games that pushed christianity, I bet people would get all in an uproar. I mean..little kids contacting the spiritual world without even knowing it??? Nobody else agrees with me on this?

Oh, I agree with you completely. More years ago than I care to remember a bunch of us in our college dorm played around with a Ouija board. It lead to some pretty disasterous happenings. To whit, I walked away from the evil thing and have never looked back except to shudder.

Sadly, too many innocent fools get hooked up with that
"toy". It isn't a toy, by any stretch of my imagination.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

Originally posted by LostProphet
PS. For all you skeptics, of course it's not going to seem real to you, YOU DON'T BELIEVE!

Belief, or buying into a flim flam? Dude, you've obviously been visited by me, maybe youre that kid who "the spirits" (cough cough ME PUSHING THE BOARD) told you that the world would endon March 15 1998. Who knows?

But seirously, come on. You start blaming Ouija Boards, then Magic 8 Balls, then Tarot Cards (they DO sell them at toy stores, I bought some ha!), then Forutne Cookies, then Rorschach Ink Blot Tests, and then the $5 Palm Readers at School Carnivals!!!

Come on, who is really going to change the world by talking to a fold up board...with a little plastic magnifying glass.

It's almost as funny as the Torah Wordsearch.

Ehem. My point exactly. It's close minded fools like you that I pity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join