It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

alittle help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
ok so my Grandpa was in WWII. I have to write a speech about something that was passed down from generation to generation in my family and i decided to do it on his medals. just one of the medals is alittle odd to me. it looks like an Iron Cross thats black and outlined in kinda a gunmetal silver, then under it is a hanging rectangle in the same colors with words that say "Carbine". i dont know what this means or how he got it. if anyone knows, please tell me. thanks

oh and i know this doesnt really belong here but i didnt know were else to put it. move it if youd like. thanks again

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by masterofpuppets]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Might be a marksmanship medal.

I think the navy has an Iron Cross, but I believe that's for bravery, could be wrong not a real militaria kind of guy.

Carbine, is probably a reference to the rifle, so there you go hope that helps unless I'm wrong in which case don't listen to me

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
just bs the whole thing. that's what i do when ever i have an assignment like this. it's not like the teachers are gonna run a background check on u to c if what u said was true! believe, i've done this soooo many times and each time, it's a guaranteed "A"

P.S. isn't there something on google about this? GOOGLE IS GOD!

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
haha i like your idea silQ. spider, he wasnt in the navy, thats the problem. he was in D-Day. and he worked the telephones or radios or whatever they were backthen. but thanks for the help!it probly is a marksmanship medal.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Masterofpuppets - have a look at this site.

The second medal looks like the one you mentioned. This one has two bars on it, one for rifle and the other for carbine.

The rifle bar is awarded for excellent marksmanship with a rifle.

The carbine one is awarded for excellent marksmanship with a carbine.

Your grandfather obviously won the medal for carbine shooting.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
yea yea yea thats it! thanks pisky!

whats amazing is that he has almost all of those medals.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If you have to give a written report, kindly spell,
medals, medals....not metals. Also, see if you can find out what division your grandparent was in...unit,
etc. It would enhance your report if you know something more about what exactly his job was...have you seen Saving Private Ryan? The man carrying the radio, or working it was vital to the D-day operations.

I've a uncle who still keeps in contact with the members of his squad that survived D day. They wound up very tightly bonded to one another. Not all that many of them remain now, sad to say. Do a little more research.
Prompt you parental unit for war stories they remember the grandparent telling when they were kids. Oral history make great color, and might even get you an A,
horror of horrors.

Thus speaks a teacher of 30 plus year, retired now.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
woops sorrry about the metals;medals thing.i was excited.
ill try to find out what division he was in. hes been dead for six years so i cant ask him

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterofpuppets
it looks like an Iron Cross thats black and outlined in kinda a gunmetal silver, then under it is a hanging rectangle in the same colors with words that say "Carbine".

That's a marksmanship medal. If it looks like an Iron Cross, it is most likely a 'marksman' marksmanship medal. They're called 'Bolo badges'. I don't think that medal has changed in decades. Carbine is the type of rifle that he qualified on. Carbine generally denotes a lighter, more portable version of a regular model of rifle. In this case it would be the M1 Carbine, a lighter version of the M1 Garand.

Here is what you are probably looking at:

--'marksman' badge with rifle

--'sharpshooter' badge with pistol

--'expert' badge with rifle and carbine

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
what do good conduct medals mean?that he didnt give them too much problems? right?
he was a radio-man.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
if he was using a carbine he was probably in the airborn or some other kind of light GI role.

He also could have been in a support/lagistic role - i know that the M1 carbine was issued to machanics and such quite often.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterofpuppets
what do good conduct medals mean?that he didnt give them too much problems? right?

Good conduct medals are 'automatically' conferred upon each consecutive 3 year period of service without unreasonalble amounts of administrative or judicial action. This is subject to the interpretation and discretion of the commander confering the medal. And if he remembers...

DC

top topics

join