It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rules of Gunfighting.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I ran across an article I had to share. The author lists 29 rules for gunfighting and if you ever find yourself in survival mode or if TSHTF you might be glad you read this. Here's a sample:

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Source.

If you have the time, this was a pretty good survival article.

wupy

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
That was good. real good. and very true. i liked 12,13. Also liked the one about sheetrock, i mean dang people, this aint a movie.
also love your avatar.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i agree that was good too! i love the sheetrock one- always been telling people life IS NOT hollywood too. according to movies all i have to do is dive behind a sofa or squat behind a car door and i am safe- do that and my ak will rip you to shreds. and if you wear a bulletproof vest my 30/06 even if it doesn't penetrate will more than likely kill you from the impact because it will send shards of your ribs thru your lungs. but you need to know your gun be comfortable with it and practice practice practice- that point can not be stressed enough. and always shoot to kill- 1 bullet 1kill

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

This has been around and some of it is common sense and some is bad advice in some states.
If you are in your own home, find a defensive position that will allow familial protection and call the police. You weapon of choice is whatever you have. If you cannot own a gun, buy a hammer. Your advantage is knowledge of the terrain and suprise. The idea of needing a 12 guage shotgun with buckshot is not a good one. Any shotgun is a formidable weapon and #4 shot at close range will destroy whatever it hits without endangering anyone else in the house or the neighbors. After you fire anything in a closed space, don't expect to hear much, including sirens of arriving police vehicles. How you handle not looking like a threat is up to you but be aware of their arrival. Police are only people and all are wary of guns looking at them.

If you are out in public, do not worry about the caliber of your weapon. Worry about accurate and timely fire. The first thing that you must do is to be prepared. The second thing you must do is to avoid confrontations when you are armed. The blowhard who wants to punch you out for looking at him may deserve a bullet but this will only cause you grief if you even show him heat. The third thing you must do is to retreat until you can't retreat any further and have no where to run. This does many things for you. It prevents you from doing anything stupid. It forces the agressor to continue to advance, proving he is trying to damage you, and it lets him feel as if he has the upper hand. This last is important to your defense because he will not be as guarded if he thinks you are afraid. It will also help with the inquest when you show how you avoided defending yourself until you had no other options. When you are at last cornered, don't show the weapon until you fire. When the first round goes off, many things happen at once. Everyone around doesn't comprehend that a gunfight is occurring until there are more shots. No one can hit anything. Everyone in the gunfight will be trying not to be in the gunfight while looking for a place to hide. Track records for the dash will be broken. If you are lucky, it will be a ONE gun fight.
The fog of war will cause problems. Off duty officers and undercover police can confuse you and get confused about you. This is a great reason to get behind something early on, if you can. If someone tells you to drop you weapon and come out, it is probably a cop. They will be talking loudly, which is a good thing because you won't hear too well, anyway. Try not to get shot when you surrender to police.
Pray for a dead perp and a district attorney that knows you.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Now that was solid advice as well. Thank you for contributing it to the conversation. A star for you.

wupy

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
guns will be useless when SHTF and the NWO takes overs, think about it, with all the chaos and ensuing riots very quickly bullets will run out and production will be seized by the government, sure having a gun for the first 2 weeks will be good, but after that with no where to buy bullets theyll be completly useless, i reccomend sword training and lots of it.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfpack Rebellion

If we are speaking of a post industrial world, it is true that ammunition will eventually run out. Cap-and-ball weapons with cast lead bullets and flintlocks will eventually be the only firearms. Bows and crossbows will again become important. I wouldn't expect that two weeks would deplete the world of ammunition. Many will be careful how they expend what they have and hide some in sealed containers. Thirty to fifty years might be the lifetime of the metallic cartridge ammunition.

Swords/machetes and knives will always be important weapons so it can't hurt to become expert in them. One overlooked, simple weapon is the sling. With practice, small game may be taken with pebbles. The Greeks defended their cities by issuing slings and lead projectiles to their citizens. One of the lead "eggs" was able to penetrate leather armor at 200 meters and, during wave attacks, volleys were effective. Given the skill and accuracy of shepherds in biblical times, Goliath didn't have a chance. David had the ancient equivalent of a .45 in his hands.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by Wolfpack Rebellion

If we are speaking of a post industrial world, it is true that ammunition will eventually run out. Cap-and-ball weapons with cast lead bullets and flintlocks will eventually be the only firearms. Bows and crossbows will again become important. I wouldn't expect that two weeks would deplete the world of ammunition. Many will be careful how they expend what they have and hide some in sealed containers. Thirty to fifty years might be the lifetime of the metallic cartridge ammunition.

Yeah a 50 caliber ammo box with good seals, and a pack or two of
dessicent to suck all the moisture out of the air.

That ammo should last a long time.

Poor man's dessicant is some very dehydrated rice or the like.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
i agree that was good too! i love the sheetrock one- always been telling people life IS NOT hollywood too. according to movies all i have to do is dive behind a sofa or squat behind a car door and i am safe- do that and my ak will rip you to shreds. and if you wear a bulletproof vest my 30/06 even if it doesn't penetrate will more than likely kill you from the impact because it will send shards of your ribs thru your lungs. but you need to know your gun be comfortable with it and practice practice practice- that point can not be stressed enough. and always shoot to kill- 1 bullet 1kill

Not if you wear a trauma plate underneath it won't

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
"Only one rule of gunfighting son, last man standing wins..."

I know there's a damn good grade B Western out there that spawned those words but I'll be horsewhipped if I can remember which one.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

oh no lol i dont mean all the bullets int he world will run out after two weeks, i mean simply brought out or taken up by people or the government. sure people will have bullets but all major production will go excluslivesly to the the government. and none more will be able to be brought up. i dont doubt people will horde bullets and have many saved for more then 2 weeks.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If you are in your home have good defensive positions picked out beforehand.
doorways or other position where YOU have cover and the perp does not.
hallways work good.

Get a good sight picture and when he enters line him up.

Aim low at his belly and fire 3 shots. with a large caliber handgun the first will hit him in the belly number 2 will hit him in the heart and number 3 should get him in the head.

if he does not go down or drop his gun fire 3 more till he does. if this does not stop him keep firing.

when you run out of ammo reload even if he is down.

Use a metal gun. a glock makes a bad club. A empty GI 45 can still fracture a skull

if you want to use a rifle for home defence get a military rifle and put a bayonet on it.
makes it hard for someone can take it from you.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

ok touche- but how many people have one? let alone however bulky and heavy they can be? and when i find out someone has one i'll just aim now for the head

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfpack Rebellion
guns will be useless when SHTF and the NWO takes overs, think about it, with all the chaos and ensuing riots very quickly bullets will run out and production will be seized by the government, sure having a gun for the first 2 weeks will be good, but after that with no where to buy bullets theyll be completly useless, i reccomend sword training and lots of it.

I am not sure how you have come to your way of thinking but allow me to offer this. When you have the opportunity to whack a bad guy with your sword, I hope you would utilize your good fortune to take all that he has . Uniform ID radio main weapon side arm and all his/her ammunition. In other words, you leave them dead and naked. There will be plenty of ammo to go around.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I ran across an article I had to share. The author lists 29 rules for gunfighting and if you ever find yourself in survival mode or if TSHTF you might be glad you read this. Here's a sample:

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Source.

If you have the time, this was a pretty good survival article.

wupy

Well to me that is one of the daftest most misguided threads read on a serious survival forum, Only rambos and fools are going to even consider playing silly buggers at a gunfight. A serious survivalist will not get involved voluntarily, if he is drawn into a firearms incident he will shoot and scoot, he wont be talking to anyone. and if the threat is prearranged he will deal with it from long distance with a rifle. Thers is nothing inteligent or wise about being drawn into a gunfight, its not cool, nor macho nor the american way, its hollywood fiction and thats where it belongs.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
actually the correct number 28 is

YOU DON'T SAY ANYTHING

never ever ever ever ever ever say anything to the cops. EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you say can be used against you later on.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
OMG, That took me back!
I remember a great collection of rules.

Anyone hear of Clint Smith? Formerly a Drill Sergent, part time stand-up comic and the current Director of the Thunder Ranch shooting School in Oregon.

We had poster at the ole hang out where I grew up, thumb tacked to the wall above our "heaters".
Clint Smith's "Rules of a gunfight"
I couldn't find the original, but this collection below was compiled by Dean Speir from thegunzone.com and features some of those famous lines from Clint Smith.
www.thegunzone.com...

You just have to laugh at some of them. But, truthfully? If I'm ever in a gunfight in the future, I'd want one of these ole boys watching my back. (And, hopefully not aiming at it)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LatentElement

This is nearly identical to the OP's linked list. Like the urban legends, this list apparently gets around. Urban legends may be more practical, however. Following this list will either get you killed or in jail.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
As for the bullets running out...I highly doubt it, even in post-apocalypse.

Reloading is easy, and learning how to make bullets is not difficult. This would be a very valuable industry that would rapidly resurface.

LOSING the technology is possible, but unlikely.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This was just a fun little thread for me that hasn't been discussed before. The conversation is whats important, each of us contributing what we know on the subject.

I don't even own a gun. I'm an old hippie from the 60's, 70's that has never had a use for one.

Still, it's a good subject to discuss.

Just in case,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join