It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Sadr lost his bottle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Well it seems that the American show of force has done some sort of job on Sadr. From insisting that they leave the country and that his forces would fight it out to the death, he's now backing down, disarming his militia and turning them into a "political force".
Sadr has even offered to turn himself in for a murder trial to a later Iraqi governement.
I can only see him losing face through this one.

It seems to me that Sadr gained none of his objectives (mainly pursuit of power) and has only wasted the lives of his followers and the innocent civilians caught in the crossfire.

The damage has been done to the US with the growth of hatred against the coalition for their actions during this rebellion so it's probably a sort of hollow victory. From what I've read, Iran had a lot to do with this climb down as well.

The question is - will the US let him back down with what little dignity he is trying to save or will they insist on capturing or killing him?

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I saw this on the news today and thought hmmmm
My guess is that he is just trying to buy time,

As far as i know the troops are still being told to detain or kill him.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
never trust a religious leader; they only tell u lies. i also think that he's buying time just because we're bombing the hell out of his followers and sooner or later, the rest will start to lose faith in him if he lets them screw themselves over for nothing. i'd say capture him, kill him, and f*ck his dignity!

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This guy has shot his wad not only with the Iraqi people but internationally as well, since this started many claimed that this was the start of a massive insurrection by combined groups. The Iraqis are a people that side with winners and strong acting leadership, if you appear to be losing they will leave in droves. Polling done back in February indicated most wanted peace not war, this incident was going against the grain from the beginning. Sadr will be lucky if we take him into custody because we treat prisoners with dignity, unlike his rivals that will probably eliminate him at the first chance.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yep, he lost his bottle alright....that bottles called: Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani.

seekerof

new topics

top topics

join