It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd like to know what Christians think of my lifestyle, debate NOT idiocy!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Hello, fellow ATS'ers. I have never thought of coming "out" before, but I feel I should now.
I am a pagan, I do practise Wiccan ways, and have been a "witch" since I can remember.
I don't consider myself a witch, it's the Christians who names us this way. I consider myself, a part of the earth and creatures around me. Wiccan is not an ancient religion, but it IS taken from ancient beliefs.

Wicca (IPA: /ˈwɪkə/) is a neopagan, nature-based[1] religion popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it Witchcraft and its adherents "the Wica".[2] He said that the religion, of which he was an initiate, was a modern survival of the witch cult, an old mystery religion that had existed in secret for hundreds of years, originating in the pre-Christian paganism of Europe.[2] The veracity of Gardner's statements cannot be independently proven, however, and it is possible that Wiccan theology began to be compiled no earlier than the 1920s.[3] It has been described as "the only religion that England has ever given the world".

That is just to give you a bit of base knowledge about Wicca. What it is to ME, and probably others out there, IS...we are part of our earth, our moon and all creatures that inhabit it. We are here to protect and server the mother earth.
I know I will be ridiculed from these beliefs, and I am prepared for that. I am coming "out" so to speak, because I have had SOO many people ask, and wonder at my beliefs. I wont put down another religion, although Christianity is one i tend to feel that will bind you to a place in your life, that you can't feel yourself. You know right from wrong.
I suppose why I am creating this thread is multi purposed.
I'd like to see if there are other pagans out there, for one thing
And I'd like to hear the Christians view on Wicca.
I dont mention other religions views on it, because Christians are the only ones, Ive found, that hate everyone else, but themselves. Ok maybe "hate" is too much. But JUDGE, is not. Until you have stood before the LORD you believe in..and can show me, that I am wrong, then Im sorry, I will continue loving all nature and living my life of peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Oh...I forgot to mention..unless i get a New York Cheesecake for the ATS points..im not here to gather them. So you can fuggitabout that

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm "sorta" a Christian. My beliefs are a mixture of tradition of my people and Catholicism, leaning towards the ideas of my elders.

In my opinion, I think you are starved for attention and are under some misguided perception that people with your beliefs are "persecuted" in these modern times........

To Each Their Own!

PS: I like ATS points! (cheesecake and your avatar aren't so bad either!)

[edit on 10-2-2009 by CreeWolf]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Well to be honest there is paganism in christianity and it's probably the christians who don't realize that that you have the problem with. The whole "witchcracft" or wicca thing or whatever you'd prefer kinda seems irrelevant to me in a way. It seems like making a choice for less potential....I dunno....seems it would have "won out" in one way or another. just my opinion anyways.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Dont worry, I have a friend that is the same as you.
Im not christian, so I know that what I say isnot what you are looking for, so instead I will say this.
We still love ya.

You have to remember though, you cant have positive views on religion without negative ones. So there will always be an opposition.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CreeWolf
I'm "sorta" a Christian. My beliefs are a mixture of tradition of my people and Catholicism, leaning towards the ideas of my elders.

In my opinion, I think you are starved for attention and are under some misguided perception that people with your beliefs are "persecuted" in these modern times........

To Each Their Own!

PS: I like ATS points! (cheesecake isn't so bad either!)

No, luv, not starved for attention. In fact, Im anti social, I prefer being alone.
But, in the bible belt, that I live in, we ARE persecuted. Even my children were ridiculed. There is no freedom of religion in the midwest. And we are looked upon as "satanists". Which I have NO desire to worship satan at all. I dont want to "worship" anything that puts demands on you.
If i were starved for attention, I suppose, I could dress provocatively or go on a single's site.. Oh how fun that would be.. actually, I'm just curious as to why we are ridiculed, I.E pagans.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Right you are. I think you are referring to the symbols maybe? Christmas tree, easter eggs, etc..all pagan..but yes, i dont want to start a fight with that ..lol

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I'm a Christian and pretty much stay out of the religious threads. My beliefs and personal opinions about religion are mine.
I'm happy with who I am.
If you are happy with who you are, then you've got nothing to prove.
Why bother?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Im not a Christian (though I do believe that Christ was an incarnation).

I just wanted to share a couple of my favourite quotes:

"As the different streams having their sources in different paths which men take through different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to Thee."

"Whosoever comes to Me, through whatsoever form, I reach him; all men are struggling through paths which in the end lead to me."

Thanks

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Dont worry, I have a friend that is the same as you.
Im not christian, so I know that what I say isnot what you are looking for, so instead I will say this.
We still love ya.

You have to remember though, you cant have positive views on religion without negative ones. So there will always be an opposition.

Well, its good to be loved..and I will say, thank you. I know that this will open doors to fights for religion. I just want to say, im NOT religious, but everyone has something they believe in. It's human nature. You cant tell me you believe that you are fighting this fight,( of life) alone. And if you do, you fool yourself.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I'm a Christian and pretty much stay out of the religious threads. My beliefs and personal opinions about religion are mine.
I'm happy with who I am.
If you are happy with who you are, then you've got nothing to prove.
Why bother?

I suppose its not a bother, its a curiosity, as to why christians looks so down on pagans.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I am not Christian.. but I certainly do hope you do not mind my answering. If so, just disregard. I used to be Christian and, yes, your views were strongly opposed.

Now, I hold only to the Tanakh (which, the christians call the old testament, though.. I have seen otherwise.. it is very much the now testament). In the views of the Tanakh... witches and such are fables and tales.. allegorical teachings. So, if you, like the christians who also hold to paganistic views, want to believe those things as literal, it is certainly your choice.

It is funny to hear/see Christians arguing paganistic views since that is what they themselves hold to.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I wasn't trying to offend you. My comment about being starved for attention was more or less tongue in cheek. I still fail to see a "Salem Witch-hunt" in modern times.

If anything, our beliefs are very similar when it comes to our respect for nature. Its more or less coming from different angles to the same point.

Stop trying to steal the Christians' thunder. They are the ones "persecuted" these days (along with the Palestinians, blacks, white males, liberals, and conservatives!)

Freedom of religion in the midwest? Look at where I live! I'm in Iowa. I work at an Agricultural Processing Plant with a Jew, an Atheist, and a Protestant in my department. I will not cut my hair because of my "personal beliefs" despite plant "political correctness". I know a lot of Missouri truck drivers and not ONE of them has ever seemed "judgemental".

I'd certainly like more details on how you've been persecuted.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i am very christian and i have no problem with your choosen lifstyle, do what makes you happy, end of story. i dont like people judging me for my christian belifes so i have no right objecting to other peoples lifestyles and or religious belifes.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
I am not Christian.. but I certainly do hope you do not mind my answering. If so, just disregard. I used to be Christian and, yes, your views were strongly opposed.

Now, I hold only to the Tanakh (which, the christians call the old testament, though.. I have seen otherwise.. it is very much the now testament). In the views of the Tanakh... witches and such are fables and tales.. allegorical teachings. So, if you, like the christians who also hold to paganistic views, want to believe those things as literal, it is certainly your choice.

It is funny to hear/see Christians arguing paganistic views since that is what they themselves hold to.

Very wise! That is why i ask these questions. I have no desire to be a "witch"..my views and beliefs are ancient, altho they have been with me since I can remember. It is "they" who have dubbed me a witch. I dont
choose the Christian god, instead, I choose to follow what feels natural. The drummings of the earth, the followings of our ancient fore fathers. I would love if paganism could be accepted amongst the public, as it should be. But you dont hear of it spoken of, unless it's in bad terms.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Am I the only one who thinks that the paganistic teachings of christianity are spiritually inconsequential? OOhhh, christmas....like who the frig would make christmas the cornerstone of their spiritual evolution??? Easter????

"Easter is the key to heaven, I know it"...ya right lol.

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK
THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Freedom of religion in the midwest? Look at where I live! I'm in Iowa. I work at an Agricultural Processing Plant with a Jew, an Atheist, and a Protestant. I will not cut my hair because of my "personal beliefs". I know a lot of Missouri truck drivers and not ONE of them has ever seemed "judgemental".

He's right in my opinion.
In real life most folks just go their way.

I've never seen as many 'persecuted' people as there seem to be on ATS/BTS.
Usually it is somebody that needs to feed the ego, not defend the faith.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

Am I the only one who thinks that the paganistic teachings of christianity are spiritually inconsequential? OOhhh, christmas....like who the frig would make christmas the cornerstone of their spiritual evolution??? Easter????

"Easter is the key to heaven, I know it"...ya right lol.

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK
THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK

No, no..i dont think you are attacking me. It's legit questions. BUT, you have to look at the information. Christmas trees, there are MANY stories about them,

There is a legend that Saint Boniface started the custom of the Christmas tree in Germany around the eighth century. It is said that Saint Boniface found a group of pagans worshipping an oak tree and became angry; consequently, he proceeded to cut down the Oak tree. Immediately a small fir tree is said to have sprouted from the middle of the oak stump and reached to the sky. Thus, Saint Boniface told the onlookers that this would be their holy tree because it was evergreen, a symbol of everlasting life.

Just one of them! Easter, on the other hand...

Wiccans and other modern-day Neopagans continue to celebrate the Spring Equinox as one of their 8 yearly Sabbats (holy days of celebration). Near the Mediterranean, this is a time of sprouting of the summer's crop; farther north, it is the time for seeding. Their rituals at the Spring Equinox are related primarily to the fertility of the crops and to the balance of the day and night times. Where Wiccans can safely celebrate the Sabbat out of doors without threat of religious persecution, they often incorporate a bonfire into their rituals, jumping over the dying embers is believed to assure fertility of people and crops.

Pagans still celebrate the seasons. They were more important in the ancient days, because you had to LIVE off them.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I would say "shame on you".. but, it is the truth. It is not hidden *at all* where many of the holidays originated.. not to mention.. Jesus is the image of a man being worshiped; idolized; prayed to; and offered to.

Christianity (as we know it) separates families and forces morals rather than Truth learned through experience onto people. It takes the precious Laws of G.d and reflects them at others rather than at themselves. The Laws were not meant to guilt others... they were meant as an understanding of what one learned through experiences and the help to apply that knowledge to oneself.

Christianity has done more for the violence in this world than any other religion, save Islam of course. Still, I personally think Christianity far exceeds the violence done on this planet than Islam has.

Wicca... though I think it is pointless personally.. has done little to contribute to the hatefulness, greed, and violence...CERTAINLY NOT EVEN comparable to the violence caused by Christianity. IMHO.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by justamomma]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Freedom of religion in the midwest? Look at where I live! I'm in Iowa. I work at an Agricultural Processing Plant with a Jew, an Atheist, and a Protestant. I will not cut my hair because of my "personal beliefs". I know a lot of Missouri truck drivers and not ONE of them has ever seemed "judgemental".

He's right in my opinion.
In real life most folks just go their way.

I've never seen as many 'persecuted' people as there seem to be on ATS/BTS.
Usually it is somebody that needs to feed the ego, not defend the faith.

Honestly, if i had an ego, I'd be getting my beauty rest now, so I could be BEAUTIFUL in the morning. I havent ever brought this up EVER in my life before, but believe me, its been there, deep inside.
I just turned 47 years old. I'm at the age now, where I dont really CARE what ppl think of me, but I still have curiosity at things. I wonder, and question things, because I'm human. I know there are many other things going on with all of our lives that mean so much more, but there are still those unanswered questions in my mind. WHY, did we all start out with the goddess religion, and then, all of a sudden, it was wrong!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join