It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolt brews in counties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Revolt brews in counties

www.sacbee.com

Counties in California say they've had enough – and they aren't going to take it anymore.

In what amounts to a Boston Tea Party-style revolt against the state Capitol, they're threatening to withhold money.

Los Angeles is considering such an option. And Colusa County supervisors said they authorized payment delays for February.

"We didn't vote on it, because I don't think anybody wants to go to jail," Colusa County Supervisor Kim Vann said.

Closer to home, Sacramento County is planning to file a lawsuit this week against the state and Controller John Chiang for withholding millions of dollars – much of it for social service programs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This is the reason why I love living in the state of California: it is a nice model of how the United States should work.

The Governator is definitely going to have his hands full with this one, however. At least it wasn't his policies that created the problem (FU Gray Davis).

Cities and other municipalities have already started outsourcing since state money has dried up. This morning it was announced that state workers have been ordered to stay home 2 days out of the month with no pay. The DMV had a notice posted that they may be "closing at unexpected hours".

Folks like to take shots at California because of some of its progressive legislation, however it's the same spirit responsible for that legislation that is causing articles like this to appear all over in local papers.

Arnie is being reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal careful not to set the state on fire. We'll see how well he does.

www.sacbee.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This could actually account to something. I mean, why not? It is about time some change takes place in government and the states. Why not mix it up a bit and see what happens. Star and flag any topics that talk about state governments changing things up. I am interested in what are the possibilities. !

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

On a related note there are the states telling the feds where they stand on states rights. NH, WA, and 3 0r 4 others. Reinhardt used the word Revolution when describing upcoming events. Feb 9? we will see.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The chances are good that there is just no money left - anywhere.
It may be time to govern ourselves to the best of our ability.
We make what little money we can and keep it.
We barter, grow food and search out reasonable housing.
We likely will have to get along with each other and soon.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
When the hell are Americans going to actually get off their bums and revolt,the world wont change until america does..the forefathers gave you your second amendment for when the time came.Yet absolutely nothing happens...Could it be that most Americans dont actually care or have a problem with the way everything is headed? stirring up a serious sh!t storm is the only way this whole surreal reality is going to dissolve and it can only start with America...that was a nice rant,but its the truth from my eyes in the UK,if a revolt happened in the USA it would start a domino effect more than iceland could...of course this revolt will never happen but i can dream.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Why we do not go straight to revolt!
Americans try to work things out , when that does not work, well then all options are open.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I've been advocating something similar on the individual level:

instead of paying your taxes due on April 15th, file for an extension instead. When that extension expires, file for another. Perfectly legal. If enough of us did this it would send an unmistakable message that we don not support the current policies.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
some of us work our taxes so that we break almost even. and some of us work our taxes so that we get more back than what we put in! But to anyone paying taxes, yes file an extension. after all anything yo over paid equals an interest free loan for them.

Originally posted by apacheman

instead of paying your taxes due on April 15th, file for an extension instead. When that extension expires, file for another. Perfectly legal. If enough of us did this it would send an unmistakable message that we don not support the current policies.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
some of us work our taxes so that we break almost even. and some of us work our taxes so that we get more back than what we put in! But to anyone paying taxes, yes file an extension. after all anything yo over paid equals an interest free loan for them.

Originally posted by apacheman

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

You still have to pay your taxes by 4/15 though - 100% of prior year taxes or penalties and interest will apply!!!! The extension is not an extension to pay!!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by scoobdude

Just in case any of your are thinking of doing this. There are consequences. When you file an extension you have to actually pay your taxes since any amount actually owed incurs exorbitant interest penalties and fines.

Rather than do this it would be more interesting to use local or alternative currency. There are several local currencies that are perfectly legal, though it makes the fed.s very nervous. Some private currencies have been shut down by the fed.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cogburn

Folks like to take shots at California because of some of its progressive legislation

Not really, they like to take shots at California because it is filled with people like Nancy Pelosi.

And as for your progressive legislation, I prefer living in a less evolved state where I stand a chance of getting my tax refund and my driver's licence renewed.

This will no doubt end with a federal bail-out.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by scoobdude

Rather than do this it would be more interesting to use local or alternative currency. There are several local currencies that are perfectly legal, though it makes the fed.s very nervous. Some private currencies have been shut down by the fed.

could you elaborate please?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Please contribute all replies to the ongoing discussion located here:

Calif. counties threaten to keep taxes from state

Closing

Thank you

Semper

new topics

top topics

join