It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters: Israel to Obama: hold Iran's feet to fire, or else

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Reuters: Israel to Obama: hold Iran's feet to fire, or else

www.reuters.com

Israel votes on Tuesday and its next prime minister -- the front-runner is rightwinger Benjamin Netanyahu -- is likely to go to Washington within a few months and press Obama to stick to his campaign promise not to let Iran develop an atomic bomb.

"It need not be conclusive or threatening, but it will be very serious and ... scare the daylights out of the president that unless the international community mobilizes to address the situation, the Israelis will," Miller said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

ONE-YEAR WINDOW

And an Israeli legislator and weapons expert, Isaac Ben-Israel, said his country had a year or so to attack Iranian nuclear sites pre-emptively and could do so on its own, even if such strikes would only delay, not destroy, Iran's program.

----------------------

Many analysts argue that Israel could not act without a green light from Washington -- particularly since the direct route to Iran lies through U.S.-managed Iraqi air space.

"My sense is, on something like this the no-surprise rule will apply," said Daniel Levy, a senior fellow at the New America Foundation. "America will have the opportunity to red-light it. Therefore I don't think it's in any way imminent."

Miller concurred. "For the Israelis to be the Lone Ranger on this is almost unimaginable," he said.

After two terms Bush, the world needs change... desperately. The ignorant cowboy strategy of not talking to enemies has done enough damage to the Western world.

I for one was happy to see Obama changing the rhetoric on Iran while clearly stating his willingness to talk, rather than bomb the hell out of them.

However, Houston has got a problem: Israel. AIPAC is the strong Israeli lobby organization in the US and their meetings have often been visited by president-nominees, Obama included.

There's no doubt on my mind that Iran has an extremist regime and that the country would be better off without these zealots, but bombing Iran will result in catastrophic consequences for the world. Economically and morally speaking nor is Israel going to be able to do it on their own.

So what they are doing is pressuring Obama to strike Iran, who currently is between a rock and a hard place with the economic crisis and dwarf Israel bothering the giant to attack Iran. It would certainly cause a great number of deaths on the US and Iranian side (taking into account the soldiers deployed in Iraq) while Israeli casualties would be fairly low.

We have all seen that Israel bombed the hell out of ''countries'' twice before (Lebanon and Gaza) while failing to meet their objectives. They didnt manage to stock the rocket attacks nor did they manage to get the kidnapped soldiers back.

It is highly unlikely that the underground facilities will all be destroyed by a massive air attack.

Isolation and massive bombings are not the key to solve this problem, I'd rather see a regime change, which would be supported by many Iranians.

Time will tell how much influence Israel really has on the US foreign policy. If the US attacks Iran it will once again be confirmed how much influence Israel has on the US, if not, Israel will likely strike on its own, and I can guarantee it won't by conventional means, but with nuclear weapons.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
America to Isreal, go find the real non oppressive exclusive God, and stop conquering others like your ignorant enemies do as well, adapt, mix in, mingle, get loose, relax, chill out, stop wailing stop crying. Get over it, settle down, get back. get groovy, anything but threaten or force my countries hands.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I hope Obama will give him a finger.

That would be the biggest surprise of the century. If he does that I would forgive him for a bailout giveaway...

Like I said, I can only hope

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Originally posted by Mdv2
If the US attacks Iran it will once again be confirmed how much influence Israel has on the US, if not, Israel will likely strike on its own, and I can guarantee it won't by conventional means, but with nuclear weapons.

Well I wouldn't bet against this happening. Afterall, I woke up today to Biden giving a strange speech; in which he made some comments about Iran.

Israel won't attack Iran on it's own IMO, but if the U.S gets involved; and they seem to be at the moment..then I'm afraid ww3 is not that far away.

I hope I'm wrong. Last thing the world needs is another war.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is the point in history where America will decide whether it is its own master or a slave to Israeli blackmail.

I truly hope Obama continues the dialogue and I really hope Israel will not be so stubborn in these matters.

But with a right winger as an up and coming, I can only see trouble.

This is beside the point, the question remains: Is Israel right or is Iran right? Where does America hold its values?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
i had anotheer thought, in the bible in prophecy it states that when all nations turn against isreal, "God" would tumble the cities to the ground and put up a wall of fire to stoop an invading army. So could it be that isreal put nukes in many u.s .. cities as leverage? And could the prophecy of the bible just be distraction added because there is time travel happening somewhere, or read aheads by trained remote veiwers?
its all possible, think like Dr. Who.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by mastermind77]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
This is beside the point, the question remains: Is Israel right or is Iran right? Where does America hold its values?

I don't think it's about who's right or wrong. We're talking about a possible war here, and war should only be for self defense..

so the real question here should be (and correct me if I'm wrong).. Did Iran attack anyone? .. why should they be threatened with war.

I'm not too fond of the current Iranian regime myself, and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a regime change, but it should be the Iranian people themselves who decide this, not Israel or U.S

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
im curious how can America green light anything?

Iraqi airpace i governed by Iraq, and patrolled by US jet currently becasue Iraq allows it. Even if Obama did green light it, it would still be breaching another nation airpace and thats gonna land Israel in a war on all fronts if not at least a backlash politically towards both Israel and America for supporting a breach in national airspace of another country

also think Iraq might have more then just the cival strife it is with it internal uprisings and possibly decend into full blown cival war rather then the small factor uprisings its currently facing

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Just for background

Aaron David Miller - former U.S. Middle East negotiator now at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

((excerpts from Wikipedia))

Miller changed fields to Middle East and American diplomacy and spent 1973 to 1974 in Jerusalem studying Arabic and Hebrew.

Anyone want to wonder where the bulk of his ideology comes from?

In November 1980, he became the State Department’s top analyst for Lebanon and the Palestinians in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR). Awarded an International Affairs Fellowship by the Council on Foreign Relations, he spent 1982-1983 at the Georgetown Center for Strategic and International Studies and the CFR in New York where he wrote his second book, The PLO and the Politics of Survival.

The CFR; oh boy, he's a real "player" isn't he?

In January 2006, Miller became a Public Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

What is this Center for Scholars?

The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (or Wilson Center) ... United States Presidential Memorial that was established as part of the Smithsonian Institution by an act of Congress in 1968. ...

Its mission is:
“to commemorate the ideals and concerns of Woodrow Wilson by: providing a link between the world of ideas and the world of policy; and fostering research, study, discussion, and collaboration among a full spectrum of individuals concerned with policy and scholarship in national and world affairs.”

Let's see ...

"commemorate"
- mission failed; they are proselytizing and influencing, commemorating doesn't include participation in the crafting process.

"ideals and concerns of [former President] Woodrow Wilson"
- mission failed; The most salient of his ideal and concerns may be subjectively interpreted, but in the broader view there can be no denying that his ideals were not primarily focused on the situation in the Palestine and Lebanon. In fact, I would venture to wager that were he among us, President Wilson's position would be primarily focused on the economic sovereignty of his beloved nation. I wonder how much commemoration this Center for Scholars has done with the following quote; repeatedly being proven as genuine, and reluctantly accepted by all but the most obtuse...

“I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world - no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.”
-President Woodrow Wilson

providing a link between the world of ideas and the world of policy
- mission failed; Instead of inviting the world of ideas into the dialog, they replace the ideas with "policy", how that could have been accidental I can't imagine.

Need I really go on?

I will risk my sense of restraint and proclaim what you are seeing here, is best categorized as corporate/government propaganda. You are hearing the voice of the establishment and their words will be delivered unto you as gospel.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
HOLD THE GLOBALISTS TO THE FIRE!

- Sorry for the one liner, but that's all that needs to be said.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
We will know what happens after knowing what the real elite does at Bilderberg. Doesn't matter what Obama or Israel says. Bilderberg chooses.

So we'll know before mid-June what happens and probably when it happens... just like Iraq.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Although there is a significant number of Jewish people who have attended Bilderberg conferences in the past, only one or two Israelis have ever visited a Bilderberg conference. Therefore, I am not sure how much influence Bilderberg has on Israel.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Economies uaully boom after wars. Another one may be a necessity. Not just for America but a lot of countries....

new topics

top topics

join