It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would creationists give equal time to science in church?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I really don't believe Creationism should get equal time in schools. My position is that it should never be taught in science class, only taught about in sociology or religious education.

I was thinking a little about this after listening to some Hitchens. He was stating that the Creationists started by demanding only ID be taught, and only later did they change to the 'equal time' position once it was clear that was failing. Another thing that interested me was his claim that most christians don't want ID taught in schools, even if that is their belief, as you end up being the state/school that is laughed at.

My thought came to the idea of reversing it, and demanding that Churchs give equal time to science, ie everytime they read out Genesis or similar, they would have to give a quick lesson on what science has discovered in that area.

I really don't think they'd be too happy about that! I'm pretty sure that most of these guys would be outraged that it was even suggested, perhaps then they'd understand why we are angry that they want ID given equal time in science classes.

Do you think it could be enforced if the government decided to make churches do this? I'm unsure, as they are private groups, and schools are public, and I don't think the government would be allowed under constitutional law to meddle in that. However, perhaps it could be argued that because they claim tax exemption, they are actually subsidised by the state, and therefore a public system.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
They are private institutions and it would never happen. And, the whole tax-exempt status was never meant to be used as a stepping stone for government intervention.

Personally, I feel some aspects of intelligent design should be incorporated into science classes in schools. Not strict creationism, but some aspects of intelligent design.

If churches want creationism taught, then they can do it in the private, Christian churches or teach classes like they do Sunday school.

Religion shouldn't dictate what it taught in schools and government shouldn't dictate what is preached in churches. The two should stay far, far away from each other and never mix.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

Really? I didn't know creationism was taught in public schools. Is this a new thing? I havent been in school for a while but I dont remember ever being taught creationism.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

It's more that certain people have been trying to get this to happen, if it has actually occurred, I'm sure it's not many schools, I don't know of any cases where they actually won.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
"However, perhaps it could be argued that because they claim tax exemption, they are actually subsidized by the state, and therefore a public system."

To say that churches “claim” tax exempt status is a little misleading. Churches need not claim anything in order to be tax exempt, they are automatically exempt.

According to IRS Code § 508(c)(1)(A):

Special rules with respect to section 501(c)(3) organizations.
(a)New organizations must notify secretary that they are applying for recognition of section 501(c)(3) status.

(c) Exceptions.
(1) Mandatory exceptions.
Subsections (a) and (b) shall not apply to—
(A) churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches.

However, some churches do apply. They certainly don’t have to and I don’t know why they bother ASKING the government to be tax exempt when the First Amendment clearly applies.

In regard to public money given to churches, everyone knows that it comes with strings attached. If a church lets the government in, they should expect oversight at least in areas of public health especially where it concerns children. However, government would be forbidden to involve themselves in a way which contravenes the Constitution, like forcing them to teach something. Since church acceptance of public funds does not nullify the First Amendment I don’t see how it would make them “public systems.”

[edit on 6-2-2009 by monkcaw]--added quotes--

[edit on 6-2-2009 by monkcaw]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RubberBaron

My thought came to the idea of reversing it, and demanding that Churchs give equal time to science, ie everytime they read out Genesis or similar, they would have to give a quick lesson on what science has discovered in that area.

Church is a place where we go to worship God... not spark debate on creation. I dont know about all the other christians here but Id be pretty pissed off if people started going on about all of that in church..... Id be ok with it outside that setting though.

top topics

join