It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy S**t!!! Look at this!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
From tactical to practical baby!

O and just because it is a military website don't mean it have to be real... Check out Stavatti for instance, they 'claim' to be military and none of the stuff there seems logical.

And yeah one critizism about this, how will the mines move into the blown section without being notice by enemy troopers, and then being blown again?

What will they dig through tunnels?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
ShatteredSkies hit the nail on the head.

You blow up some mines, and 10 sec's later when the new ones hop in you blow THEM up, as they only lying on the surface of the ground, not hidden.

So bullets, or something will activate them.

Bit like shooting frogs on lilly pads...

Also jamming their signals would render the whole thing useless.

Also each mine has to be self powered, and that charge must last for months.

Either an April fools joke, of a fantasy....

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Correct, and how do they expect to have portable mines that have enough energy, and has a small enough motor and still store space for the explosives and be able to move around in a small mine field unnoticed?

This was definitely a joke, are you sure Stavatti had nothing to do with this?

Shattered OUT...

dz

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
i don't know what Stavatti is, but may i remind you guys that this is on DARPA's website. not just some government agency, but the one that brought us the internet and other neat things. yes it might be concept, but it's not fake.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wow, could they use this kind of technology to "turn off" landmines so they wouldn't pose a threat to civilians after a war? Landmines might be legalized again then!

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Also, could you just trick them? I.E- move a few dummy vehicles over them, get them to all concentrate there, then move your actual force somewhere else after the mines have become less concentrated in that area?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
Also, could you just trick them? I.E- move a few dummy vehicles over them, get them to all concentrate there, then move your actual force somewhere else after the mines have become less concentrated in that area?

Yes red dragon, and even then we dont use 'dummy vehicles', we use long stripes of explosive wire to blow a narrow path inthe mine field, that way it is safer and less expensive, we can just repeat the process over and over again.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
DARPA is certainly the spiffiest gobment web site I've seen.

I thought it might be a joke like the Stavatti guys but it seems to be the real deal.

DARPA spends a lot of time theorising, I'm sure they're getting a lot of interesting emails in their comment section from people who have viewed the demo.

Maybe it's just a small psy-op.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
I read about this in this months issue of High Times. I can't believe we still use mines when everywhere else countries are signing treaties to get rid of them and whatnot. Just another case of US military hypocrisy.

actually by 2020 the US plans to stop using mines so i dont see this concept going anywhere past concept stage.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Think about if say, a few hundred thousand of them were dumped out of aircraft onto enemy territory, within a small zone...it wouldn't be good for anyone in that area. The mines would keep coming at you--
Great find, the site looks legit but I dunno- I thought mines were out. The chess pieces were surprising to me also, as an initial impression goes.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
Think about if say, a few hundred thousand of them were dumped out of aircraft onto enemy territory, within a small zone...it wouldn't be good for anyone in that area. The mines would keep coming at you--
Great find, the site looks legit but I dunno- I thought mines were out. The chess pieces were surprising to me also, as an initial impression goes.

Use common sense, with today's technology, those mines will be shot down, and plus they need to be layed, it would bad for invading forces to airdrop mines, the space involved and energy, and the time reqiures, the enemy would have enought time to sweep the mines, because THEY CAN SEE THE MINES.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I remember finding out about these about...a year and a half ago lol...its a very kick ass idea, although im not sure we currently have a working version of it

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The computers have taken over!

ppp

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
One main problem

COST!

A landmine costs $15, but one of these supermines would cost thousands per unit, a cost no country would pay in the face of shrinking defence budgets, with the possible exception being the USA.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
whats funny to me is they say that this is just a "concept" but if you come in through DARPA's "front door" on their website, this is listed under "Archive: Completed Programs"????WTF??? Click Here

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by insite
I read about this in this months issue of High Times. I can't believe we still use mines when everywhere else countries are signing treaties to get rid of them and whatnot. Just another case of US military hypocrisy.

I'm not saying the self healing mine field isn't impressive to me, it's just a damn shame we still develop this technology.

These are anti TANK mines not anti personal. The US has agreed no to use anti personal landmines anyplace but Korea .

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
anyone ever seen that movie screamers?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Quote:

whats funny to me is they say that this is just a "concept" but if you come in through DARPA's "front door" on their website, this is listed under "Archive: Completed Programs"????WTF???

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the quote is absolutely correct. It was a "concept" used as a disinformation tool. That being done, it was time to hi the "Archive: Completed Programs". It was a total success and didn't cost more than the animation expense. For you or me - a couple hours. For DARPA - a few million.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
Quote:

I think the quote is absolutely correct. It was a "concept" used as a disinformation tool. That being done, it was time to hi the "Archive: Completed Programs". It was a total success and didn't cost more than the animation expense. For you or me - a couple hours. For DARPA - a few million.

Surely this can't be the last thought on the subject! I don't want to kill threads. No, and my name 's not Shirley.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join