It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran launches homegrown satellite

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Iran launches homegrown satellite

news.bbc.co.uk

Iran has launched its first domestically made satellite into orbit, state media reports.

TV commentary said Monday's night-time launch from a Safir-2 rocket was "another achievement for Iranian scientists under sanctions".

The satellite was designed for research and telecommunications purposes, the television report said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Headline

[edit on 2/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Well i can see all the doom and gloom and bomb them back to the stone age people telling us they have space launch abaility so next is the bombs

its really good , that even under all the sanctions they have developed the capability for domestics satellites and the ability to launch them , coupled ith the fusion research iran has alot to offer - if only someone would talk instead of threatening to bomb them every week.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The date on the article says Jan 2008, didn't this happen last year?

It seemed to me, that before GW got installed, that relations between the U.S. and Iran were improving, and GW screwed that all up. With Obama in office, things could cha nge again for the better. If Iran puts forth the effort to develop technology, they most likely will start to become much less religiously extreme, so their success in these areas is good news.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Page last updated at 09:37 GMT, Tuesday, 3 February 2009

hmmmm the date to me is today

and yes , actually things were quite resonable with Khatami in office - then bush got in and it all went wrong again; amazing foreign policy really.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

compared to their neigbours?
Iran let women drive, Work ect
they build their own gear and so on

thats the least you can say about Saudi and others which the US arms.

Hopefully obama can fix the mess of Bush

edit:

to add

last year they tested their rocket

news.bbc.co.uk...

Last August, Iran said it had successfully launched a rocket capable of carrying its first domestically built satellite, having in February launched a low-orbit research rocket as part of preparations for the satellite launch.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
when the neo-con dogs go on and on about rights and ME countries - saudi arabia is far more conservative than iran , and yet being they sell oil and buy us weapons (and pump money into the country) small details like child hangings are overlooked.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I think Iran as a sovereign nation has every right to launch and use satellites for the benefit of the country. It is surprising that amid all the sanctions that have been imposed on Iran, they have still succeded in launching a satellite.

This goes on to prove that the influence of US over the world is waning slowly and that a new power axis is emerging. I would be surprised if US did not have pre-knowledge of this launch

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Ah, I think I got accidentally linked to a different article earlier.

I thought GW's axis of evil speech was one of the most irresponsible, foolish turns by a U.S. president in our nations history. I agree, you are right about the relations between the U.S. and SA, when it is SA that is far more religiously extreme. Iran is more progressive, and there are many problems with U.S. policy on Iran. I disagree with Iran's stance on Israel and terrorism in general, but there is room for dialogue, and reason to hope that there could be better relations between the two countries.

I expect under Obama's leadership that relations between the two nations will improve considerably. This really is an amazing accomplishment by Iran. Does this change the balance of power? No, not by a long shot. Still, Iran has a great deal of reason to be proud, and that is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
I would be surprised if US did not have pre-knowledge of this launch

Yeah. Reminds me when the US only came to know about India's nuclear test 5 days before the actual testing. Good times.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It would be interesting to know what type of research they would be doing.

Would they leak UFO footage to piss the west off.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheKingsVillian
It would be interesting to know what type of research they would be doing.

Would they leak UFO footage to piss the west off.

LOL

That would be neat! Given Nahmadinejadh's... hmmm... "braveness" (*), I wouldn't be surprised if he did that. Unless he has a part in it (eg he was allowed by the aliens on some conditions).

(*) in my opinion he's one of the few remaining leaders with the balls to speak openly and tell things the way they are

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Good for them,

Now all they have to do is stick a nuke in one and the US will never bother them again.

Then they can concentrate on spreading Islam outward, toward the stars.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I don't know why some people are so concerned over Iran honestly even if they do build a weapon. I think they know that the US hold well over 1000 -2000 nuclear missiles with many that carry multiple warheads that could reach multiple targets with one missile. They know it and we know it. That being said does anyone think besides the paranoid bureaucrats that they are truley a threat to this country. It's like the BS leading us to Iraq.....its all lies.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
I think Iran as a sovereign nation has every right to launch and use satellites for the benefit of the country. It is surprising that amid all the sanctions that have been imposed on Iran, they have still succeded in launching a satellite.

This goes on to prove that the influence of US over the world is waning slowly and that a new power axis is emerging. I would be surprised if US did not have pre-knowledge of this launch

This is actually the failure of the worthless UN not the US. The UN can't effectively enforce their own sanctions. Remember the recent story of a US Navy ship boarding an Iranian vessel loaded with weapons allegedly heading to another Mid East location. Iran is prohibited by the UN from any weapons trading. We had to let the ship go because the UN didn't have the means to enforce the sanction.

Here is a top secret photo of the rocket before launch.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Yeap the UN is only good for one purpose
emposing sanctions on countries which are doing things which any soverign country has a right to, but when it comes to others the UN is either Blind or biased, you people should really make your minds up about the UN

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I dont see why there should be any fuss over this.

Although a large amount of us have issues with some of Iran's policies and rants, they have as much right to go up there as you and me.

You never know, one day they might even lead the way accross the unknown universe.

Regards S_G

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
If Iran puts forth the effort to develop technology, they most likely will start to become much less religiously extreme, so their success in these areas is good news.

All well and good, but let us examine the religious basis behind the Shia muslims of Iran. They believe that the promised one is the 12th Imam, Mahdi. In order to hasten his arrival, they believe that they must "bathe the world in blood to bring the Mahdi into his rule from Babylon". In order to begin, they believe that their first two enemies are the two Satans, Israel and the U.S. Not only does the ability to launch ICBMs greatly increase their destructive power, they are not the people to be negotiated with. Regardless of Ahmadinejad's "intentions" he earnestly believes that it is his righteous duty to usher in the age of the 12th Imam. Does anyone else see the relationship between the 12th Imam, Mahdi, and the Antichrist? Either way, the rocket's name does seem to bode quite ill: Safir, in english, The Message.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Two satellites has crashed in orbit. Just a weird coincidence, and not related to this in any way, of course. Or...?