It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remarks by Governor M. Jodi Rell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Remarks by Governor M. Jodi Rell

www.ct.gov

An evening address such as this is unusual. But so, too, are these times in which we are living...

It is a budget that sets a fundamentally new vision for state government.

A smaller government.

A less expensive government.

A more efficient government.

And most importantly, a government that is more in line with what you – our taxpayers – can afford.

One thing you cannot afford is a higher tax bill. That’s why my budget does not raise taxes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is really unlike Jodi Rell. I think that she's scared, and I have no idea what she means by "smaller government."

CT has some of the highest personal property taxes in the country, and for most people it almost impossible to live there because of the cost.

She addressed unemployment in her address, but did not put forth any of her own ideas about how to aid the unemployment crisis in the state of Connecticut.

She mentions "cuts" that "will be painful." If she's talking about education, road crews, and the like... there's going to be a problem. The education in CT is sub par for a state with so many wealthy families, and most students attend private school because of that. I'm glad that I'm getting out of the school system.

In places like New Haven, Stamford, Danbury, there are housing projects for the poor and homeless which receive state funding. I hope that does not stop, because those people need help. Connecticut does not get a lot of money from tourism. I don't know how she expects to get all this money, I don't know what else she can cut.

www.ct.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think you better realize that as a tax payer, I feel no obligation to pay more money than I already pay for state and local services. Any more and I'm going to seriously consider voting with my feet! That's why CT lost a congressman in the last election cycle...many have left already. They were sick and tired of paying for less and less and supporting those able but unwilling to support themselves.

I've already suffered one job loss in the family. Those in the urban areas either contribute to the coffers or leave. I've always paid my bills on time, in full and without fail...only those who are truly unable to care for themselves and the aged (i.e. over 80 years old) should get assistance. The rest have to do more then exist and claim victim status.

Retirement is not a right, its a privilege. AND A HOME IS A RESPONSIBILITY, NOT A BURDEN THE IRRESPONSIBLE CAN SLOUGH OFF ON OTHERS!

If you didn't earn enough to pay for ALL of your future expenses, then you can't retire. I haven't gone on a vacation or enjoyed any extravagance for quite a few years but I can pay my mortgage and have an emergency fund. I have enough respect for my fellow citizens to conduct my life in a responsible manner so as not to burden them. EVERYONE ELSE IS NOW EXPECTED TO DO SO.

YOU CANT VOTE YOUR WAY TO A PAID EXISTENCE! YOU HAVE TO WORK! AND YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE WORK, THERE IS NO RIGHT TO EXIST WHERE YOU ARE IF YOU DO NOTHING TO SUPPORT THAT EXISTENCE!

THERE IS NO CONSTITUTIONAL GUARANTEE TO ENSURE ONE STANDARD OF LIVING - ONLY THE OBLIGATION OF THOSE THAT ENJOY THAT STANDARD TO WORK TO MAINTAIN IT.

Your LIBERALISM threatens the very survival of many good hard working decent people who pay the taxes that make the states existence possible. And they support charities as well.

The quality of life will drop for all who are unwilling to support themselves through any and every legal means of work. I will not pay more in taxes for anyone. You've got all you're going to get.

join