It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

experiences and opinions on tarot cards

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I think it's a great pity that you stopped, as you seem to be naturally gifted. There are many people who would pay serious money to have such a gift.

As we live in a time of great turmoil, you could use this gift for the benefit of other people, particularly to assist those who need help and guidance with their lives. You've obviously stopped for valid reasons, but maybe in years to come, you may take it out of the box again?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

As far as i know, it's absolutely impossible to predict a pregnance out of a reading. There is just no card that says: "You are pregnant". And i doubt that it is possible to predict a pregnance out of any combination of cards.

Tarot cards are above all a psychological system. Think about it: There is an innocent fool (every child) who faces lots of archetypical situations (tower) or archetypical chances (force).

The power of tarot is due to the accurate description of real-life archetypes. When you look at the cards in this way you can learn a lot about yourself and the world that surrounds you

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Many, many years ago I did tarot. I was VERY good at it. I had a HOT deck. I would do my own spread as well as other peoples. When I looked at the cards I could actually feel how they went together and they gave me a very clear picture of the person being read.

I no longer do tarot. I have learned the hard way that it opens doors that are very difficult to close. Doors that no one should open. Doors to spiritually bad things and bad spirits.

My advice - everyone take your tarot cards and bury them deep in the ground. Sprinkle holy water on top. Do not burn them. Let them decay naturally. Get rid of them and NEVER look back, no matter how tempting.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Many, many years ago I did tarot. I was VERY good at it. I had a HOT deck. I would do my own spread as well as other peoples. When I looked at the cards I could actually feel how they went together and they gave me a very clear picture of the person being read.

I no longer do tarot. I have learned the hard way that it opens doors that are very difficult to close. Doors that no one should open. Doors to spiritually bad things and bad spirits.

Those who have ears, let them hear. Those who have wisdom, let them take heed.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
My advice - everyone take your tarot cards and bury them deep in the ground. Sprinkle holy water on top. Do not burn them. Let them decay naturally. Get rid of them and NEVER look back, no matter how tempting.

Someone explained why I'm not to just throw these things away, but hadn't heard not to burn them. Any particular reason why not?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spannera
Hi Does anyone know what star sign the fool card might symbolise. I dont know anything about tarot but after a brief internet enquiry i believe it pertains to materialism so i guess Taurus. Any opinions. Thanks.

The Fool is attributed not to materialism, but to Pure Spirit. It is numbered 0, symbolic of the Cosmic Egg, and is attributed to the Hebrew Letter Aleph.

The word "fool" is derived from the Latin word "follis", meaning "bag of wind", that which contains air, or "breath". The Latin word "spiritis" also means "breath".

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I've been studying and reading Tarot for a little over 20 years now. What I find most interesting about Tarot is that there is always something new to learn -- some new perspective, technique, historical tid-bit, or theory. It never gets boring.

When people ask me how the cards work, I offer them two different and contradictory explanations.

The first is this: The images on the cards that appear during your reading are completely random. They have no specific mystical connection with you or your situation in particular. However, they provide a randomizing effect that will allow you to see your current situation and your possible future in a different light. My job as a card reader, and your job as the querent, is to use a mutual creative process to turn the images into a narrative that allows you to explore your current concerns in an objective and creative way.

The second is this: We are about to embark upon a sacred process, where we ask the godhead or creative force of the universe to provide us with hints about what events are coming your way. The cards are a medium through which divinity can communicate with us and as we use them, we will enter a mutal meditative state in which we will attempt to interpret the hints that the divine power that runs the univers sees fit to throw our way.

Which explanation do I think is the "real" explanation? It depends on what day you ask me, or even what reading I'm doing at the time. There are times when readings seem divinely inspired, incredibly accurate, and as though the cards are crying out to tell someone something. Then there are times when doing a reading is just flat-out work -- where the images are contradictory, random, and not very telling. As a reader, I never can tell what kind of reading it's going to be until the cards are on the table. Either type of reading can be accurate. Either type of reading can be uplifting, exciting, easy, demanding, or downright exhausting. It depends on the topic of the reading and the querent.

If you ask a card reader to read for you and you get turned down, there may be many reasons for it. There are some days when it just doesn't feel right to read for people, when the psyche needs a little down time and the reader is not at her/his creative or interpretive best. After doing a series of readings without a break, I'm eventually get too tired to go on and need a rest. Also, being a card reader doesn't mean that we have a sacred duty to convince skeptics (though sometimes it feels that way). Therefore, if I meet a skeptic, and he or she asks for a reading, I'll only give one if I feel like "fighting the good fight" that day. Otherwise, I'll turn him or her down (I attempt to make it a polite turn-down, however -- I don't usually accuse the individual of being too "negative" or too "blocked" -- whatever that means). And there are, in fact, some people that I've met that I just can't read cards for. i can usually identify them prior to the start of a reading, but sometimes I don't know until the cards are on the table. It probably has more to do with a personality conflict that any deep mystical secret, but if I try my best and can't give a good reading, I simply apologize and end the reading early.

As for the cards being "dangerous" and the need for various specialized disposal methods, I've never met a deck that wasn't just a stack of cardboard with some images on it. One can assume that a bit of the reader's essence or personality may "rub off" on a deck after repeated readings, if you believe in that sort of thing (which I do), but I've never seen a deck that was had any dangerous negative energy associated with it. (And I rashly buy decks that I find in second hand stores and at flea markets.)

Any magic that happens when using a Tarot deck, any impressive mystical or predictive power, lies solely in the reader and the querent. A tool is just a tool.
Did I take my preachy pills today or WHAT?!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I was waiting for a post like this from the hardcore Christian contingent.

What I do find interesting and somewhat strange is that some people who have no problem with Tarot readings will go crazy over ouija boards and other means of communication/divination.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
What I do find interesting and somewhat strange is that some people who have no problem with Tarot readings will go crazy over ouija boards and other means of communication/divination.

Two tools in the same school, one should be avoiding both equally for much of the same reason. Divination is divination whether it's tarot, ouija, or pencil markings on bits of paper.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

I respect you for sticking to your principles, however is the bible itself not a work of divination (recording the words of god spoken to magicians, mediums and prophets)?

What makes it different and acceptable to you?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I respect you for sticking to your principles, however is the bible itself not a work of divination (recording the words of god spoken to magicians, mediums and prophets)?

No.

What makes it different and acceptable to you?

I'm not sure if you're unclear about how divination works or faith in God.

"There is no sorcery against Jacob, no divination against Israel." - Numbers 23:23

"The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so." - Deuteronomy 18:14

"For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has rejected you as king." - 1 Samuel 15:23

Faith in God is trusting in Him to do His will, asking that He prepare our hearts for what He has in store for us. This is not the act of divination by definition.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

It's a contradiction, on one hand it is acceptable to speak to divine beings (god, angels) yet anything else (demons, individuals - excluding Jesus) is satanic and ungodly... closer to the truth is that only official representatives from the church are allowed to practice and study the occult yet anyone outside of this sphere is called a sinner.

You are aware how popular Hermeticism was (and still is) within all the Abrahamic religions? It's another fine example of modern Christianity preaching do as I say, not as I do and why it cannot be the honest truth it claims to be.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by queenieme

Hi Queenieme, I have been using cards for a few years. May I suggest that any anomaly that occurs during the shuffle can be seen as significant.

If I were you I would put particular emphasis on the face-about cards, and perhaps sort through and find them and see if together they hold any special meaning for you.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

It's a contradiction, on one hand it is acceptable to speak to divine beings (god, angels)

This is not divination. At first I thought you were unclear about what prayer is, but this phrase sounds like you're unclear what divination is. I'm not a person to help clarify what it is and what it means lest I help guide others to a path I wouldn't want anyone else to go. Rather, I'll revert back to saying that prayer is not divination and prayer is merely a person speaking to God which of course is permissible by God.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

This is not divination. At first I thought you were unclear about what prayer is, but this phrase sounds like you're unclear what divination is. I'm not a person to help clarify what it is and what it means lest I help guide others to a path I wouldn't want anyone else to go. Rather, I'll revert back to saying that prayer is not divination and prayer is merely a person speaking to God which of course is permissible by God.

The Bible sanctions divination in the form of the Urim and Thummim. The Israelites used this device as an oracle, approved by God in the Old Testament.

Just exactly what the Urim and Thummim were, is now lost. But it is possible that is was an early version of Tarot, due to Tarot's Kabalistic nature.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
The Bible sanctions divination in the form of the Urim and Thummim. The Israelites used this device as an oracle, approved by God in the Old Testament.

The Bible does not sancation divination in this form. How does Aaron's breastplate speak to the dead or help him foresee the future?

Just exactly what the Urim and Thummim were, is now lost.

So the claim toward divination is mere speculation. Actually it's not lost, it's right here:

"Aaron is to bear the names on his shoulders as a memorial before the LORD." - Exodus 28:12

If you recall, Aaron had an issue with 'forgetting' the command of God (think calf). It wasn't for God's benefit. It isn't God who forgets.

But it is possible that is was an early version of Tarot, due to Tarot's Kabalistic nature.

Do you approach God with a deck of Tarot cards? Do you discern His will with them? Ask His will be done with them? Need them to approach God as Aaron needed his breastplate? Does Kabalistic 'magic' source itself to God? Does God sanction magic?

[edit on 4-3-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The Bible does not sancation divination in this form. How does Aaron's breastplate speak to the dead or help him foresee the future?

Aaron's breastplate was not the Urim and Thummim. The breastplate of the High Priest held the Urim and Thummim, which was used for divinatory purposes.

Urim and Thummim: Sacred objects carried inside the breastplate of the high priest of ancient Israel and used as oracular media to divine the will of God.

www.answers.com...

Do you approach God with a deck of Tarot cards? Do you discern His will with them? Ask His will be done with them? Need them to approach God as Aaron needed his breastplate? Does Kabalistic 'magic' source itself to God? Does God sanction magic?

Yes to all the above.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Masonic Light]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You need to be more clear on what magic is? Would not turning water into wine be considered magic? Would turning a staff into a snake be considered magic? If so then yes God uses magic and sanctions it.

Tarot cards weren't invented to foretell the future. They were a tool used for divine guidence. Does not all thought come from God/creator or whatever name you wish to call your higher power?

The reader tells you what comes into their mind. If they are a good reader. Why would God not send someone for guidence where they can get it.

A poor reader learns what the cards are suppose to mean and interupts them according to that meaning. There is no divine guidence in that.

A good reader always asks their higher power for help during the reading.

Never forget also that it was a star that lead 3 men to the infant Jesus. Why did they follow that star because that star always signified the birth of a king or a ruler to come being born. Is that not using fortune telling and astrology?

Why is it alright to use things considered evil for Gods purposes but when people try to use them for guidence from the creator and his power it is evil?

Also try this verse....Jeremiah 8:8

I myself have a deck of cards I use for helping Church going people. They have many religious symbols on them. It makes them feel not so evil about getting guidence from God when they don't seem to be able to hear what he is saying to them.

Most of the time I don't use cards. Cards are like training wheels. A tool if you are connected the words people need will come to you from your higher power.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Aaron's breastplate was not the Urim and Thummim.

Apologies for not being more specific, I'd hoped you knew what i meant.

The breastplate of the High Priest held the Urim and Thummim, which was used for divinatory purposes.

How does it work specifically? Does Aaron ask the Urim and Thummin questions and it channels God's answer? Does it point to answers? How do you 'read' this:

Urim and Thummim: Sacred objects carried inside the breastplate of the high priest of ancient Israel and used as oracular media to divine the will of God.

www.answers.com...

Why accept a dictionary interpretation instead of scripture? I noticed you didn't even go by the "Encyclopedia of Judaism: Urim and Thummim" on that page which says:

"An oracle worn by the High Priest inside his breastplate, used for discovering God's judgment."

Do you qualify Christopher Columbus as a diviner? Again, this is all assuming the dictionary is correct and scripture is wrong. Why omit the necessary components of divination when discussing this with me?

Yes to all the above.

I bring warning then, the potential for some very bad news:

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." - Revelation 21:8

I believe you already know this however, and are choosing to ignore Leviticus through Revelation:

"Do not practice divination or sorcery." - Leviticus 19:26

"The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so" - Deuteronomy 18:14

"He sacrificed his own son in the fire, practiced sorcery and divination, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger." - 2 Kings 21:6

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
You need to be more clear on what magic is?

No, I'm familar, thanks.

Would not turning water into wine be considered magic? Would turning a staff into a snake be considered magic? If so then yes God uses magic and sanctions it.

No and no, it appears you're not familiar with what magic is. Magic is not a before and after photo, it is what makes the change. I've answered the rest of this post in response to Masonic Light. It's a nebulous world when you lump the good in with the bad and wonder why the soup tastes funny.

I myself have a deck of cards I use for helping Church going people.

If you truly loved them, you would not be doing this. You can see what their book says and are helping them deviate from it.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

How does it work specifically? Does Aaron ask the Urim and Thummin questions and it channels God's answer? Does it point to answers?

That does appear to be the case. en.wikipedia.org...

How do you 'read' this:

What you have shown is the image of a breastplate. However, the Urim and Thummim were *attached* to the breastplate, probably in a pouch.

Why accept a dictionary interpretation instead of scripture? I noticed you didn't even go by the "Encyclopedia of Judaism: Urim and Thummim" on that page which says:

"An oracle worn by the High Priest inside his breastplate, used for discovering God's judgment."

I don't see any substantial difference in the definitions.

Do you qualify Christopher Columbus as a diviner? Again, this is all assuming the dictionary is correct and scripture is wrong. Why omit the necessary components of divination when discussing this with me?

I don't see any relevance with Columbus, as he did not claim to possess an oracle that pronounced God's will, i.e., a tool of divination.

I bring warning then, the potential for some very bad news:

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." - Revelation 21:8

That's a really bad translation, don't know which version it came from. The more appropriate term would be "sorceror", who falls into a completely different class than the Magi (whom the author of Matthew himself commemorated as having followed the star of Bethlehem). Magick, or the Science of the Magi, is the fundamental idea behind all religion, including Christianity.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join