It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq holds peaceful election, Obama, U.N. applaud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Iraq holds peaceful election, Obama, U.N. applaud

www.reuters.com

There was something of a holiday atmosphere in many parts of the country. In normally traffic-choked Baghdad, children took advantage of a ban on cars to play soccer in the streets.

"How can we not vote? All of us here have always complained about being oppressed and not having a leader who represented us. Now is our chance," said Basra voter Abdul Hussein Nuri.

The last election in 2005 took place amid a raging Sunni insurgency and was followed by a surge in sectarian slaughter....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The election wasn't perfect. There were some screw ups, just like we have here in the States, but peaceful elections in Iraq is something worthy of note. Iraqis celebrating their new freedoms openly and showing their purple thumbs is worthy of note.

I wonder whom the Iraqis can thank for these blessings.

Could it the Bush administration and the surge?

I wonder why all we ever hear about are the shoe throwers and the general negativity?

Today, Iraqis are celebrating freedom!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

How can a country enjoy "freedom" when they're currently being occupied by another country? That's not freedom. Is it? I know if some country invaded mine and I looked outside and saw armed soldiers, tanks and aerial drones constantly buzzing overhead the last thing I would call it would be free. Especially when you look at the amount of civilians that have been killed. Freedom? Hah!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm quite impressed with the state of the elections. I was under the impression they would not allow such a huge step in politics to be done in Iraq without some major opposition, or suicide bombing.

Good job troops, your doing what your suppose to be!

And Congrads Iraq!!!!!

One more step towards a nation that will stand on they're own two feet.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer

I know if some country invaded mine and I looked outside and saw armed soldiers, tanks and aerial drones constantly buzzing overhead the last thing I would call it would be free. Especially when you look at the amount of civilians that have been killed. Freedom? Hah!

The violence that engulfed the election in 2005 was not the result of American forces being there but rather sectarian violence, mostly between the Sunnis and the Shiites. I started a thread on Friday about the security precautions being taken by both the Iraquis and the Americans to ensure these new elections would be more peaceful, and they have evidently worked, alongside the resolve of the Iraqi people to participate in the process.

I am also in favor of the U.S. withdrawing from Iraq as soon as possible, but without leaving the country in the middle of a violent civil war. These elections are an important first step toward that goal.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Credit should be given where credit is due.

The Iraqi people are to be credited for maintaining the peace during this critical time and for taking the opportunity to exercise their newly-gained rights.

The silence regarding this victory of over oppression and tyranny is deafening, but not surprising.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
People will never be happy.

I'm glad they had it and that it was peaceful. Hurray!
Now we can reduce our troops and leave. Nobody will give Bush and the surge any credit oh well. He is not the most popular guy right now so it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I'm just glad we can now start to plan on leaving!

Let History decide who to give credit to.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Certainly the lesson is that once civilian interference has gone away or is significantly reduced the chance of military success increases substantially. Sure the surge was a terrific success but there is still one issue that has yet to be addressed . At some stage barring a small training and reaction force responsibility for security will be turned over to local forces whose quality is at best questionable . On a more of a historical note it has taken forty years but the US military has finally learnt how to fight a counter insurgency war . But just like the lessons from Malaysia and Borneo were forgotten no doubt history will repeat itself .

top topics

join