It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I Fear about the coming election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It is sad that the people who are going to vote, are mostly politically uneducated. The majority of Americans get their info, which by the way is what they will base their opinions on, from bias media and simply word of mouth. The very course of this great nation depends on, well, people who should not make the decision. Ofcourse there are exceptions, but i am afraid that in this case there are to little. It is a sad fact, it is the truth. It has to be realized before it is too late.

Fellow Americans and ATSers, I say this from the deep of my love for this country. Please, may you read this, and take into consideration that this is an issue. Fight for political education so the decision in November may be a good one. And fight against extremists of all types.

Because afterall the future does lay in our hands.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
So what do you think?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think you're right, and I think it will not change anytime soon. The bottom line is that people really don't care so long as they have sports and luxuries. Why do you think politicians have gotten away with becoming more and more corrupt?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well this election will be the first in a long time to have such a small swing vote group.

That means its a more potent mix of people who dont know or care deciding the fate of our country.

a pleasant thought...

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I think politics and elections have always been what you are stating. A vote based on uneducated guesses and "here say". Its part of our democracy though, everyone has the right no matter how "uninformed" they are. The fact of the matter is most people are influenced heavily by there social groups that they "hang" out with and tend to stick heavily to that tone.

Its hard to distinguish between democrats and republicans sometimes because the issues thedy represent are sometimes so similiar and that fact alone makes it easy for un-informed people to confuse the whole situation without ever knowing it. Ah well, as much as I would love for everyone to be "informed" the fact of the matter is they wont be.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Educate everyone within your sphere of contact. Who cares if they think you a crank initially: I've garnered a reputation as both a laser focused businessman & a devout hedonist, so for many they are taken aback at my political activism. I use exactly that to drive my point home: " IF I cared about money & having a good time as much as you thought, shouldn't THAT be a good indicator that things ARE very SERIOUS now!?"

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I agree. We are so pathetically uneducated on politics, our government and how it's supposed to work, and our constitution etc. as a population that it's getting serious. However, on this next election, what choices do we have? Is either candidate going to be good for the country? For security I would choose Bush, but at what price to our freedoms? Kerry seems like he would be inept. Besides both are members of Skull and Bones. I don't really know how deep we should read into that, but it's a little weird at the least. Members are to hold that group above all else. So does this mean that both candidates have the same agenda?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
it is the sad truth......

but the best we can do now is support a pro-political education agenda...... and do our own job of denying ignorance.......

one of the best ways to do just that is join and read this site.......

also, it is important to spread the truth...........

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It's so painfully true that it is almost offensive to people who look/research/seek for information and truth in the swirl of lies and halftruths we live in.

We live in a land of convenience, and of course that goes for armchair voters. They honestly believe that the nightly news is the end source for information, never thinking that the pot could have more depth than they percieve.

The thing I find most troubling, is when these people are confronted about their stance on issues (which is the reason they vote how they do), the responce is normally flimsy or complete emotional crap.

The simple question of "why" distroys 95% of their arguement and they get upset when they have to dig for anything to back up the faux finish of their pretty little opinions.

It's annoying at best. I really try not to look down my nose at them, but it's hard to resist calling them dumb asses.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Good topic. I agree. While we have some political interests that strive to keep its base mostly uneducated about what happens in DC, is that really a fair way to represent the people? When they are told that they're tax revenues are needed badly, is it right to use the same money to send buses from housing project to housing project handing out packs of cigarettes in exchange for a vote? Why should who picks you up and hands you a trinket make the decision who gets your vote?

It is btw finally good to see a topic so many of us agree on. Nice change. I don't think we'll see anyone advocating keeping voters ignorant..at least not outright.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm afraid the ignorance has been going on for so long that there really is no candidate who is for the good of the country. The Founding Fathers must be turning over in their graves
(With the media broadcasting any and all facts/lies about a person's life, what quality person would even want to run.)

I really can't see how anyone who values our Republic can, in good conscience, vote for either candidate. And, that is an informed viewpoint.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Personally I think we may see record numbers in this election.

The reasons?

1. First election since 9/11
2. First election in decades held during an active war
3. Worst economy in decades

Look in the past we did not have such 24/7 news coverages of events, we have been attacked and now we are the ones attacking.

I just feel that this will draw both sides out. Hopefully in record numbers... No matter who wins it needs to be by a majority with the absolute highest number of voters turning out. Showing validity in this election is critical to show all those in the world we are one voice, driving forward.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I am vary new to politics, but I am starting to see how someone could run from president and promise people lies. The general public really doses not know any better than to vote for the person with the best lies. If anyone tried to run that told the truth about what they can and cannot for the country the ignorant public would never vote for them. I guess this is just kind of common knowledge to you guys though?

top topics

join