It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Do Electronics Change Your Life ??? I Just Made A Call To My Front Room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Instead of just shouting out or banging on the wall, I just made a phone call to my husband in the living room.

I just needed to know something, but I was only about 10 meters away in the back room. It wasn't till after I made the call that I realized how much we use phones and internet to communicate with each other.

Making a phone call from one room to another is just ridiculous, I could have just hollered down the hall.

I'm sure my parents would be floored at the fact that I would phone from one room to another.

Times change...........

Edit: OCD on editing. :bnghd:
I may be back.

[edit on 30/1/2009 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have read a joke in which, a mother calls his son who is upstairs for dinner by e-mailing him.

Maybe this is becoming real.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
We have this little semi-private golf course a few miles from the house. We use to play poker in one of the rooms. Instead of getting up and going to the bar we would just call in our orders and the bartenders would bring our drinks. Technology you got to love it.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
i have had my son call me from his room downstairs, and my other son chat with me on facebook with just a wall between us.
totally silly.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
We have used the cell phones to call each other if someone is upstairs. No need to shout, just think of it as an intercom system.

My beef is when you call everyones cell (three others in the house besides mine) and no one answers. :shk:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Oh this is hilarious. My daughter calls me from around the house all day. I don't mind and guess it's better than hearing her scream at the top of her lungs for me. But my husband hates it. He always says if you want to talk to someone then go find them. Then, he screams at the top of his lungs for me. GAWD, that's productive.

And AD, that's funny, my daughter and I have done that....talked on the cells with only a wall between us.

I just have a problem with the lack of human interaction and contact that seems to be lost now days between computers and cell phones.

rethinks that statement as she is posting on an internet forum.

Nevermind.

Rush

[edit on 31-1-2009 by hsur2112]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The question is: What do we lose and or gain by utilizing technology in this manner?

Also, if there is this affect, what is it on a grander scale?

Do we truly connect in the same manner through an electronic apparatus in comparison to looking at a person eye to eye?

Does a hug mean the same thing online as it does when you are heart to heart.

Can we synthesize the feeling in our minds?

Some would say "god" is the connectedness we experience with ourselves, others, and the world around us. It is no doubt that technology has enhanced our connection to one another in some ways, IMO, but it has disconnected us in others.

I know for certain that I would not experience the ammount of differing personalites in the world that I have without the internet. Have I truly experienced them though? Or better yet, at what level have I experienced them? Perhaps this is a quantity over quality question?

Great question Anxiety Disorder. It truly inspired some questions within me.

[edit on 1/31/2009 by eye open doors]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
A number of years ago a friend and I were playing a online game together. For some reason (Dunno why) we used the chat feature to talk to each other and we were in the same room!! I suspect that perhaps it was because chat functions were pretty new and so there was the "Hey! Let's use this new function!" aspect. (chuckle)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's called PMC, or preferred method of communication.
Yeah, times change and we either get on board or stay out of the way.

Just look at US Postal System.

Years ago we would wait in line to buy stamps, now we all pay our bills online.
Did USPS suffer as a result?
Yes, they did, until people also started buying merchandise online.
The lost revenue they lost in stamps they made up for in the delivery of these online purchases.

Technology has affected other areas of business as well, as far as business is conducted. They either change with the times and revamp or they go under.

Slightly off topic but this is the same reason why I think the greedy fat-cat Auto Unions must be gotten rid of. They are so old school and should no longer be allowed to use their antiquated techniques in this modern age.
Just too expensive if you ask me.

Get rid of them and the US Auto Industry will be saved.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
At least I'm not alone on this topic.

I have another incident that happened a couple hours ago.
I was working in the kitchen getting some prep work done for supper. My cell rings and it's a neighbour asking about some flower pots I have on a shelf out back. He wanted to know if he could take one for a plant he wanted to put into a larger container.

I turned on a screen that shows the back porch video camera and there he was. I told him he could help himself to one of the clay pots or take a black plastic one off the stack beside the shelf.

The whole time we're only about 6-7 feet apart, he's outside my kitchen door.
No direct contact, but he could have just knocked on the door and asked the question, or I could have opened the door to see him, but no, I switched to a camera to view the back without opening the door.

top topics

join