It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Bowl XLIII hype down.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Is it me or is all the hoopla for this year's Super Bowl toned waaaay down?

I'm obviously not talking about the cities of Pittsburgh or Phoenix where I'm sure that's all they're talking about.

But for the rest of the country we're not getting the usual over the top week of hype.

Sure ESPN is doing their nightly bit, but that's basically it.

I don't know, maybe it's because this year I'm spending more time on ATS than watching TV, but I don't think that's it.

I think that the NFL, which is always incredibly image conscious, has purposely toned it down so as to seem sympathetic to the overall economic situation.

Is it just me that sees this?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yeah I feel like I have not seen as much of it either. I almost forgot that the Super Bowl is actually this Sunday.

It could be because of the economy, but I was thinking because this Super Bowl features a couple of Cinderella teams, rather than the big names that were supposed to be there.

I'll watch it anyway. Go Cards.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It's a mix of things here.

First, we don't have the usual major market teams going head to head. The Steelers are starting to regain that image, but the Cardinals are nowhere near there. People expect to see a big team like the Patriots or Colts in the Superbowl every year, and when that doesn't happen, you'll notice considerably less coverage.

The other aspect of the downplay this year is the lack of compelling story lines. Quite simply they had all been done to death after about two days. We know the Steelers already, and we know all about Kurt Warner bagging groceries and the surprise Cardinals. There just simply isn't anything else to talk about without beating it to death.

It's just one of those years that happen every so often where it just isn't that interesting to the majority of people.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
There just simply isn't anything else to talk about without beating it to death.

Yeah. As much as I like watching highlights of Larry Fitzgerald jumping 6ft in the air over 3 defenders or Polamalu flattening someone, watching the same clips for 2 weeks straight gets old.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Agreed.

I also hate hearing Larry talk about how he is willing to take a pay cut to bring Boldin back.

:bnghd:

I was hoping they wouldn't want to pay for him and run him out of Arizona…straight to Philly.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

First, we don't have the usual major market teams going head to head.

Yeah, I agree. As much as I am a fan of both Pittsburgh and Arizona, they just aren't the most anticipated teams to go to the Superbowl.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think people will get something they are comfortable with on the AFC side anyway this year. That would be the Pats (even though I hate it).

It's hard to say in the NFC. I'd like to see someone like Philly in there. Those boys can hit and if you can pop Brady a few good ones, you have a real good chance.

top topics

join