It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Difference Btwn Humour and Satire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I can usually keep my cool, and can be quite accommodating if need be....but something recently happened in which I feel that there should be a lesson explaining the difference between Jokes,Humour, and Satire.

there is none!!

That's right, they are all in the same family and it disgruntles me when for whatever reason, it is felt that some Satire can be read by many....but if it is a type of satire that simply makes them smile, then it becomes nothing more than a joke.

Short rant...but then again, like I said...just think that a lesson should be given in regard to the non-difference and anything that is written in a satirical format should be posted in the humor section here in the basement.

~Holly

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Jokes and satire are grouped to humour, and are also different things.

Satire: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn.
Joke: 1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter ; esp: a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1): the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2): an instance of jesting : kidding ‹can't take a ~› c : practical joke d : laughingstock
2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter ‹consider his skiing a ~ —Harold Callender› — often used in negative constructions ‹it is no ~ to be lost in the desert›

See the difference?

join