It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Goddess Cults - were they of single origin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The Mother Goddess Cults across the world have always interested me.
I would to have more information on these cults.
My question is are/were these Mother Goddess Cults of a single Origin?

In Indian Sub Continent the Mother Goddess Concept was first idscovered in the Indus Valley civilization. Arayans brought in their Shakti worship which later evolved into Durga/Kali.

Mother Goddess Cults were present from the ancient times, example of which is the figurines of Venus of Willendorf and The Cucteni Culture Satuette.

Please do contribute your knowledge and discussions on this subject?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

this is an interesting compilation of later goddesses [and gods] statuettes.
in french
click on the maps and you get pics [after the sahara section especially]

this is a neat cucuteni - ish thing
head on a benben
i have seen this guy on the sinaia lead tablets... but he wasn't available as a model back when they were "hoaxed".

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Sorry, it's too wide a field to pin or find the historic origin of something like your asking about.

Worship of the Mother Goddess included, and was referenced to, Worship of the Serpent Cults. Same thing, sorry if you didn't know.
www.gnosticteachings.org/images/stories/adameve/Sinner-Eve
The ancients allowed the practice of this, each 'cult' having differing 'goddess' figureheads, but because it was the True worship, and saw the debilitating safety of the Father worship, sought to shut it off, and redirect humanity towards the 'other pole' of creation (Father).

There Is No Other Pole of Creation: Duality / Polarity are Illusion Only:

Within the WORD, the Two Halves of the Word Make One: The One is Contained in the Creatoress, S/He, known as The Mother Goddess.

Her 'Intrinsic Intelligence' aspected as equal & opposite, or the Relflected Unreal. This was/is always manifested/aspected as Dual, or Two in One.

Nevertheless, there is Only the Waveform, the Mother Goddess. Many will atempt to refute this, for it is Power. Your Missing Half is the Feminine Energy Structure that you are moving the Clay of your Body with, called "The Life," or "Being," or "Being Alive."

This is expresssed as The Serpent that Consumes Itself, but Originates as the Creatoress ARC of Life (the Waveform). It is Formless as the Original Uncreate is Formless. There is a State of Oneness that is Fully Expressed through the Completed Cycle of Light, which is Perfected Oneness, or Pure Energy. All humans have an Energy Double called The Feminine (Hidden) Self (Double), but it is Not Pure Energy, merely Living Energy.

The work/cycle is described fully by Walter Russell in his 1947 book of Inner Light revelation, "The Secret of Light."

In the Beginning was the WORD (AllVerse Logos), etc. This is the Creative ARC, the Black, and is remembered as The Deep/Abyss, for the Expression of Itself (Initial Impetus, or first movement) is The Illusion of It's Self Reflection, which attains Self-Awareness, then attains the Merging of Both the Initial Impetus and the Reflected Movement (see, "Secret of Light"), which is the Completed Cycle of Light, the Refolding Upon Itself Within Itself.

This is the Purpose of Light, Existence, Being: It is Becoming Evermore in the EverAllness of Itself: Duality ceases at the Refolding; Expression folds/merges back into One Waveform (ARC) 'state' of Nothingness, called the Mother Goddess.

So, if you were seeking the origins of the Mother Goddess worship on Earth, you will Never find it: It was here at the beginning: It has been carefully Hidden Today from Recent Time (history of modern religion), and genetically 'forgotten.' Humanity was 'MADE' to forget, for it is the POWER OF INTEGRATION, or Oneness.

Sad, but the Suppression of the Goddess into 'Father' Worship has been carefully contrived and forcefully carried out (death of the Goddess/Serpent cult worshippers):
Mankind has been Defeminated.

Yes, this is difficult to understand unless the very Nature of the WORD is directly known (I received this Knowing from my avatar namesake in 1984). Here is an interesting link:
THE WOMAN AND THE SERPENT

"All of the Masters from the Hebrew pantheon - beginning with Moses who wrote the book of Genesis - were Serpentine Masters."

"On the Tree of Life, Yesod is a symbol of many things. It symbolizes the fourth dimension, Eden, which exists in the fourth dimension. Yesod also symbolizes sex, the sexual force either in the male or female physical body."
(Source link given above)

"Once that the key to Genesis is in our hands, the scientific and symbolical Kabalah unveils the secret. The Great Serpent of the garden of Eden and the Lord God are identical."

"Thus Satan, once he [S/He] ceases to be viewed in the superstitious, dogmatic, unphilosophical spirit of the Churches, grows into the grandiose image of one who makes of a terrestrial, a divine Man."
("The Secret Doctrine," by H.P.Blavatsky)

As to whether the Worship of the Mother Goddess had a Single Origin, of Course:
The WORD was this Origin, which the Ancients were privy to.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

Sorry. I dont subscribe to New Age Mother Goddess worship or accounts. I am more interested in ancient Mother Goddess Cults.

As to your theory of every Mother Goddess being entwined with serpent stuff, please explain the serpent relation with the Indian Mother Goddess or venus of willendrof, or other ancient mother goddesses?

[edit on 29/1/09 by coredrill]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Ancient or New Age are the Same (as you like to disdainfully call it: I call this attitude denial of knowledge, or the opposite expressing of the ATS motto: "deny Ignorance").

The 'virgin Mother' (Mary of christians, tho' I subscribe to no dogma) exemplifies this.

Read the link provided, if you would like to enlighten your outlook, which I see you haven't bothered with (complex concept).

The Old is the New. As said, the Origin is from One Source. Trying to verify, or locate that One Source, while denying the ancient inherent knowledge that was behind it, is futile. I'll leave you in that state, while you meander through the Maze of Confusion which is the ancient past, and of which there are insufficient historical records extant to suitably show original source, which was your thread query. Luck.

Maybe somebody else has the ability to discern this insight from my given post.

After you get several replies, you'll find that they keep leading backwards to ever more ancient (and unknown) sources, which are quite unverifiable, due to lack of adequate record keeping of our human history.

Reminds me of a dog chasing it's own tail perpetually. "I know I can catch it, I know I can..."

I've shown the Source, even though it is located where you don't care to follow or acknowledge.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sorry. I am looking at Ancient Mother Goddess cults not Gnostic cults.

There is nothing about denying Ignorance.
I am not Ignorant about Gnostic principles.

My point of discussion is about Ancient Mother Goddess Cults of the paleolithic, neolithic and chalcolithic periods, not organized religion or pseudo-organized religions.

Ever seen a separator or filter? Same goes here. Many will post replies. I will note down (yeah note down, copy paste, copy links, etc) those discussions which contribute. like the dirt that gets separated, unfortunately, some replies gets the bin.

Nice Analogy about the Dog and its tail...since the new rules "civility and decorum are expected", i decline to respond to that bit.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by coredrill
Sorry. I am looking at Ancient Mother Goddess cults not Gnostic cults.

My point of discussion is about Ancient Mother Goddess Cults of the paleolithic, neolithic and chalcolithic periods, not organized religion or pseudo-organized religions.

As stated:

"Mother Goddess Cults - were they of single origin?"

You are denying replies that respond to your very question, and now Stating that you don't want to Ask that question, but another one: see your quote.

The dog chasing it's tail is not directed at you, but the implied futility of obtaining the answer to your posted thread Query.

"...we could go on forever like dogs biting their own tails, trying to describe this."
("The Active Side of Infinity," Carlos Castaneda)

I am saying this Source, or "single origin," has no indisputable validation. Obviously. It's easy to figure this out, but one or many can choose to follow the described "dog-tail" action in such hopes. Any verifiable records are long since dust. Tidbits of information will not resolve this thread's stated Query.

Why didn't you post what you really were inquiring: I wouldn't have responded. Knowledge that doesn't suit you is rejected out-of-hand. I imagine other posters must be careful to limit their replies to knowledge that you accept, or can 'filter' properly.

What kind of thread is this? See the ATS motto, and apply it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

i think the mother godess is so wide spread because the mother is dominant in our lifes....what else but the mother or father as a chosen symbol of dieties?

we would naturaly see the mother and father as positive symbols so they are going to be the symbols of the positive and powerful dieities.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

Interesting source there Naga, ~~~

However, when you learn how to transmute the sexual force, you learn another way, where the individual acquires the power of releasing only one very mature zoosperm in order to engender the woman. This is a type of birth that is related with the narrative of the physical birth of Jesus Christ, who is stated was physically born from a virgin. This means that Mary, MiriaM, his physical mother – we are not talking here in symbols – was a priestess of the temple, thus, as a priestess she performed the sexual act with Joseph, who was a priest. Understand, here we are not referring to the symbolic archetypes, but we are talking about these two initiates who existed 2,000 years ago. Then, when Joseph and Mary performed the sexual act, Joseph - by the power of the Holy Ghost - released from his gonads only one zoosperm, which became the body of Jesus within the womb of Mary. This is a child of chastity, which is very rare.

Yeah that all sounds doable.

To the other commentors

The MG is part of the fertility worship of early man. Obviously sex and birth were quite an intimate part of their lives and as they observed and lived off nature they understood its importance.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Thanks for the reply. Many things are unknown, but the insight coupled with higher light can reveal them. The knowledge mankind has access to can free her/him from perpetual ignorance (darkness of understanding/behavior). Of course, there is a level that the 'Goddess' (or 'Father') must be included, or it remains of the nature of Clay.

PS - Hanslune's quote is taken from the link I provided in my first post, "THE WOMAN AND THE SERPENT."

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SS,Naga
Sorry, it's too wide a field to pin or find the historic origin of something like your asking about.

Worship of the Mother Goddess included, and was referenced to, Worship of the Serpent Cults. Same thing, sorry if you didn't know.

I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan, and there's never been any sign that worship of the Mother is the same thing as a "serpent cult." There were a few goddesses that were associated with snakes, but lots more that weren't.

The ancients allowed the practice of this, each 'cult' having differing 'goddess' figureheads, but because it was the True worship, and saw the debilitating safety of the Father worship, sought to shut it off, and redirect humanity towards the 'other pole' of creation (Father).

That's kind of hard to believe because except for the monotheist religions, goddesses are usually on an equal footing with gods. Not every religion is monotheist.

Nevertheless, there is Only the Waveform, the Mother Goddess. Many will atempt to refute this, for it is Power. Your Missing Half is the Feminine Energy Structure that you are moving the Clay of your Body with, called "The Life," or "Being," or "Being Alive."

No offense, but this sounds like some of the really really really bad mysticism of the 1970's. When rebuilding a religion, you need to have the oldest writings as proof. I looked at a lot of writing and never saw anything that says people ever believed that.

This is expresssed as The Serpent that Consumes Itself, but Originates as the Creatoress ARC of Life (the Waveform).

And I'm REALLY sure they never believed that. No offense, but it sounds like you found some pages that were "inspired" rather than taken from any of the old writings.

The work/cycle is described fully by Walter Russell in his 1947 book of Inner Light revelation, "The Secret of Light."

I'm afraid that the secret here was that Russell made it all up. And he didn't do a very good job of it.

Mankind has been Defeminated.

I know you're probably not a feminist (because I am) but that sounds like the worst of the Margaret Murray writings. Her writings make great fiction but she took so many liberties with reality that we don't study her except to say "this is an example of REALLY bad research on Paganism."

There's a lot of good writing on this... but the next time you see someone calling themselves an "ascended master", doublecheck their work. "Ascended Master" seems to be another name for "boatload of nonsense."

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by SS,Naga

Interesting source there Naga, ~~~

However, when you learn how to transmute the sexual force, you learn another way, where the individual acquires the power of releasing only one very mature zoosperm in order to engender the woman. This is a type of birth that is related with the narrative of the physical birth of Jesus Christ, who is stated was physically born from a virgin. This means that Mary, MiriaM, his physical mother – we are not talking here in symbols – was a priestess of the temple, thus, as a priestess she performed the sexual act with Joseph, who was a priest. Understand, here we are not referring to the symbolic archetypes, but we are talking about these two initiates who existed 2,000 years ago. Then, when Joseph and Mary performed the sexual act, Joseph - by the power of the Holy Ghost - released from his gonads only one zoosperm, which became the body of Jesus within the womb of Mary. This is a child of chastity, which is very rare.

Yeah that all sounds doable.

To the other commentors

The MG is part of the fertility worship of early man. Obviously sex and birth were quite an intimate part of their lives and as they observed and lived off nature they understood its importance.

I don't mean to be mean, but that's just so... really really bad. There were sacred temple prostitutes but you've got the wrong culture and the wrong time period. And someone's taking a mix of Yogic sex teachings (which is often abused in teaching) and combining them with... really weird mysticism and some very wrong impressions of Dionysus worship.

I think you've got ahold of a bad batch of what one of my friends labels "MWG" -- Modern Woowoo Gnosticism. For real info on Gnostic writings, the Gnosis Archive is a better starting point:
www.gnosis.org...

You can see from the Codexes themselves that none of the above was ever taught by Gnostics:
www.gnosis.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

In the book "Atlantis and the Kingdom of the Neanderthals" (love that title!) by Colin Wilson, the author states that a figure of the Goddess Diana around 175,000 years old was found. That would indicate that Mother Goddess worship is quite old.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

In the book "Atlantis and the Kingdom of the Neanderthals" (love that title!) by Colin Wilson, the author states that a figure of the Goddess Diana around 175,000 years old was found. That would indicate that Mother Goddess worship is quite old.

Gotta wonder where he came up with that (what the figure was and how he "knew" it was Diana and 175,000 years old.)

The Neanderthals produced no known art although they turned out some wonderful tools. I think Wilson might have been referring to the Venus of Willendorf, which is only 24,000 years old:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
tan-tan venus maybe.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Indellkoffer

Howdy IK

Just to note that I was be sarcastic in regards to what you aptly name MWG

Hi Byrd'

Hey what is 150,000 years between friends?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I have to locate where he states that in the book. I do know he used that date, and one of his theories is that the Neanderthals were much more culturally advanced than currently believed. I do know the cult of Diana is very old, and is also known as the cult of Hecate.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Considering that Mother Goddess Religions go all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia and the Sumerian Religion, it can be postulated that Mother Goddess worship is the oldest known form of religion.

It's a bit insulting though to title the thread asking about these religions as "cults" especially since Christianity is such a young religion (and was once also called a cult) and it is through the Christian domination that most pagan belief structures have been demoted to "cult" staus

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Hey Kid

Unfortunately I haven't read that book. How culturally advanced did the think the Neanderthals were?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
It's a bit insulting though to title the thread asking about these religions as "cults" especially since Christianity is such a young religion (and was once also called a cult) and it is through the Christian domination that most pagan belief structures have been demoted to "cult" staus

The broad acceptance of Christianity around the world in no way alters the fact that it, too, is a cult.

One would have to be a Christian and wearing blinders to be insulted by somebody referring to Christianity as a cult.

The same is true for these other, more ancient, mother cults.

A cult's a cult for a'that.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join