It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victoria's Secret Pagent Nixed From TV

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Personally i think its a step backwards. While most people are drooling over the Physical and playing the gender wars thing, the Intelligent ones are discovering scientific ways of evolving, creating cures for disease and exploring the Universe beyond all this crap. Damit when are the Annunaki gonna get their alien asses down here so i can get off this planet
ARGH!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The issue is not the content, it is censorship. What's next, Queer Eye for the Staight Guy, I checked it out. I found it to be lame but I'm not petitioning for it to be off the air because my son might see it and "turn."

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
wait a minute...did you guys forget that it is Victoria Secret is the one choosing to pull the show????

Although Victoria Secret is the one pulling the show, I think it would be safe to say the only reason for doing this is the recent crackdown by the FCC. I guarentee if Janet Jacksons breast would have never "fallen out" howard stern would still be on air, and the victorias secret fashon show would still be broadcast.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'd be perfectly happy if they did show the Victoria Secret show on HBO or Cinemax without fear of what they accidently show. I just don't like censorship.

I'm afraid censorship is going to go so far as to restrict what adults can see and hear... hmmm seems to apply here. However if they only want to censor the basic networks during daylight hours I could go along with that. However the government never seems to stop with regulations and before you know it, I believe they may try censoring everything they can get away with.

Do we want risk factors ratings placed on all basic networks that automatically get the shows blacked out in home with kids? I believe some parents would be upset with this. I'm not as familiar with cable but my satellite service already has channel locks and ratings lock easily enabled to block out any unwanted programs. I certainly don't need government legislation.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
" Well the FCC won't let me be or let me be me so let me see. They try to shut me down on MTV but it feels so empty wthout me!!"

HAHA!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Although I agree that it is a show that portrays women as objects, which I strongly dislike, I think its stupid to block it for the reasons of censorship.

If you dont want to watch it, turn off your tv!! Why do we complicate things?!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
CENSORSHIP!!!!!! let the media show all!!!! the government is taking away one of our basic rights: free speech! first, it was our right to bear arms! now, it's to "protect" our kids! they're gonna learn about it anyway! WTF IS THE BIG DEAL!?!?!??!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I tried to read the entire thread. Here's MY 2 cents, then I'll read the rest:

First, DontTreadOnMe, you must be fat and have no self confidence and don't take care of yourself very well. Yes, I am being an ass, but almost all of the women I know and have met that have ANY kind of self confidence and self respect don't seem to have a problem with the way women are portrayed. They use their looks/charm/personality/whatever to play the guys. You are one of the problem people and your attitude is what causes censorship.

So, it's ok to have 2 teams of people beating the holy hell out of eachother over a ball, but it's not ok to see a titty on TV? We can show racism, violence, murder, child abuse, and everything else, but we can't show a single tit without people freaking out? WTF is wrong with everybody?!?

It was said before, but I'm gonna say it again... PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS!!! You don't want them watching something? Don't let them #ing watch it! It's not that hard! People are abusing laws so they can get the world 'child-proofed' and don't have to worry about their responsibilities. "I don't want sex shown on TV because I don't want my kid to see it!" Well, it's simple... pay attention to your #ing kids! Take some responsibility.

Just thought of something else... the only things I've seen on TV are tits... I've never seen a 'vagina' accidently get exposed. BUT, guys are allowed to run around on TV with nothing but speedo's on? Sounds like crap to me. I'm not a woman basher by any means, but jesus christ! Get a grip on reality! You let your kid suck on YOUR nipple, but it's not right for them to see someone elses nipple? Or is breast feeding getting banned too? Really... I don't particularly like watching some guy with nothing on but a speedo with his dick all ready to blow out, but for some reason guys don't bitch about it. They just put up with it because the women seem to enjoy it.

Women aren't #ing repressed at all. Me? I'm a 28y/o white male making a whopping $8/hr... I am repressed! I don't get any benifits because I'm not jew, black, asian, or any other nationality. I'm not gay, married, nor do I have any kids. I'm not female, and could never get away with yelling rape if I decide I don't like somebody. I don't get benifits because I am developmentally disabled, or disabled in any way shape or form, even though my back needs some serious surgery, but I can't even get help for that! My back is jacked up major, and I can't afford to have the surgery or even go to a chiropractor, or even get medical insurance to pay for it. I get absolutly NO special treatment at all. Everyone thinks that just because I am a white male that I get everything handed to me... I'm not in the goddamned KKK! Everybody expects the white male to take care of everything. How would you like to be in that position? Think you have it bad because other women have self esteem and like to show off their bodies and you don't like it? Think you have it bad because if you don'ty like what's on a particular channel you can just change it? I'm not about to go to congress and whine about how everyone else EXCEPT the white male gets something? Nope. I'm gonna deal with it. I can change the channel if I don't want to see some guy's package about to bust out of bright orange speedos. I can work 2 jobs to get money to get my back fixed. I don't expect special treatment. I'm human, just like the rest of you. What makes you so much more special than me? Oh yeah... you just bitch about stuff until you get your way. I'd rather work for what I want and ignore what I don't. But when I can't watch something on TV because people bitch about it, it really pisses me off. Get a grip, people. Take responsibility for yourselves, don't make everyone miserable because you want the world run YOUR way.

Censorship isn't un-American. Censorship is un-human!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This other thread I believe is related so I will try to post a link here if no objections.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's called Fight the FCC I believe. I'm going to have to learn how to use this site a little bit better.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
I'm sorry, but I tried to read the entire thread. Here's MY 2 cents, then I'll read the rest:

First, DontTreadOnMe, you must be fat and have no self confidence and don't take care of yourself very well. Yes, I am being an ass, but almost all of the women I know and have met that have ANY kind of self confidence and self respect don't seem to have a problem with the way women are portrayed. They use their looks/charm/personality/whatever to play the guys. You are one of the problem people and your attitude is what causes censorship.

So, it's ok to have 2 teams of people beating the holy hell out of eachother over a ball, but it's not ok to see a titty on TV? We can show racism, violence, murder, child abuse, and everything else, but we can't show a single tit without people freaking out? WTF is wrong with everybody?!?

It was said before, but I'm gonna say it again... PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS!!! You don't want them watching something? Don't let them #ing watch it! It's not that hard! People are abusing laws so they can get the world 'child-proofed' and don't have to worry about their responsibilities. "I don't want sex shown on TV because I don't want my kid to see it!" Well, it's simple... pay attention to your #ing kids! Take some responsibility.

Just thought of something else... the only things I've seen on TV are tits... I've never seen a 'vagina' accidently get exposed. BUT, guys are allowed to run around on TV with nothing but speedo's on? Sounds like crap to me. I'm not a woman basher by any means, but jesus christ! Get a grip on reality! You let your kid suck on YOUR nipple, but it's not right for them to see someone elses nipple? Or is breast feeding getting banned too? Really... I don't particularly like watching some guy with nothing on but a speedo with his dick all ready to blow out, but for some reason guys don't bitch about it. They just put up with it because the women seem to enjoy it.

Women aren't #ing repressed at all. Me? I'm a 28y/o white male making a whopping $8/hr... I am repressed! I don't get any benifits because I'm not jew, black, asian, or any other nationality. I'm not gay, married, nor do I have any kids. I'm not female, and could never get away with yelling rape if I decide I don't like somebody. I don't get benifits because I am developmentally disabled, or disabled in any way shape or form, even though my back needs some serious surgery, but I can't even get help for that! My back is jacked up major, and I can't afford to have the surgery or even go to a chiropractor, or even get medical insurance to pay for it. I get absolutly NO special treatment at all. Everyone thinks that just because I am a white male that I get everything handed to me... I'm not in the goddamned KKK! Everybody expects the white male to take care of everything. How would you like to be in that position? Think you have it bad because other women have self esteem and like to show off their bodies and you don't like it? Think you have it bad because if you don'ty like what's on a particular channel you can just change it? I'm not about to go to congress and whine about how everyone else EXCEPT the white male gets something? Nope. I'm gonna deal with it. I can change the channel if I don't want to see some guy's package about to bust out of bright orange speedos. I can work 2 jobs to get money to get my back fixed. I don't expect special treatment. I'm human, just like the rest of you. What makes you so much more special than me? Oh yeah... you just bitch about stuff until you get your way. I'd rather work for what I want and ignore what I don't. But when I can't watch something on TV because people bitch about it, it really pisses me off. Get a grip, people. Take responsibility for yourselves, don't make everyone miserable because you want the world run YOUR way.

Censorship isn't un-American. Censorship is un-human!

Wow...I strongly agree with you, and I think if we keep letting the government control censorship on tv , they will move on to bigger things. It will go on and on, and before we know it, our right to have freedom of speech will be gone. I am going rather extreme...but if they can controll what we watch, or what people produce and try to show to people...then whos from stopping the government to tell us what we can and cant say.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Seriously people, if your kid is gonna be scarred for life by seeing another human body, I'm sorry but you suck at parenting.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
KayEm refuses to buy 'Victoria's Secret' stuff because of this:

Victoria's Secret sells used underwear.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
"KayEm refuses to buy 'Victoria's Secret' stuff because of this:

Victoria's Secret sells used underwear."

Maybe that's Victoria's secret?
Not anymore.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Ew, used underwear? Thats disgusting.

In response to Earthscum's thread, I dont mind other people watching Victoria Secrets Pageant, but I would rather not. I think there are better things I could be doing with my mind. All of t.v. these days is garbage.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It wasn't getting good reviews anyway, I mean not enough people were watching last years program. Anyway, the show is not that important, It makes people feel insecure about themselves.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The issue is not the content, it is censorship. What's next, Queer Eye for the Staight Guy, I checked it out. I found it to be lame but I'm not petitioning for it to be off the air because my son might see it and "turn."

Right... but that's a different thing.

Now, suppose it was being shown on prime time tv, and they were male models and they were modeling the catalog from Fredericks of Hollywood.

You know... with the elephant undies with the elephant trunk so men can show off their ... attributes. Would you find that offensive? And male models poncing around in their teeniest male things... the ones with the translucent panels? And male models with the Santa underwear (you know where the hat goes), etc?

What if at the superbowl it had been Janet ripping off Justin's jeans and we got a nice flash of his package (tastefully covered with an "elephant trunk" goodie.)

Most men would find that horribly offensive. Most women would point and laugh or point and lust, leaving their poor spouses feeling somewhat dismayed and uncomfortable.

If it's not okay for men, then it shouldn't be okay for women.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I am not fat. I do not have self-esteem issues. I don't see how you feel you can project that on me. We may disagree, but those remarks were unnecessary. I wasn't speaking for myself.
But, violence toward women is a problem in our society.

I'm not sure using looks/charm to play to guys is OK. What about personality, sincerity and honesty. Beauty is more than skin deep and our society seems to ignore that fact. It's really too bad men and women feel they can only impress others with their looks

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I didnt wanna see 5'11 skinny models walkin around on TV anyways.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Entirely wrong. The women with confidence and self respect get disgusted by this type of show, simply because it shows how our nation, both men and women, have turned into tv-surfing morons. I hate all the shows I see lately. But I dont think they should be censored.

If all the girls you know use looks/charm/etc, to get what they want and play guys, that is not how majority of women are. Not every women in the world is a Marilyn Monroe cooing happy birthday to men. What a disgusting stereotype.

Ah, I knew the tit would be brought up somewhere in this thread. America's morals have fallen. I agree. It is stupid to freak over a breast when much more violent things are being show.

I've never seen a 'penis' get accidentally exposed either. WHat show are you referring to with the speedos? I must not have seen this. Girls run around in bikini bottons and thongs on tv. Is this not equivalent to a speedo?

Women aren't [V] repressed at all. Me? I'm a 28y/o white male making a whopping $8/hr... I am repressed! I don't get any benifits because I'm not jew, black, asian, or any other nationality. I'm not gay, married, nor do I have any kids. I'm not female, and could never get away with yelling rape if I decide I don't like somebody. I don't get benifits because I am developmentally disabled, or disabled in any way shape or form, even though my back needs some serious surgery, but I can't even get help for that! My back is jacked up major, and I can't afford to have the surgery or even go to a chiropractor, or even get medical insurance to pay for it. I get absolutly NO special treatment at all. Everyone thinks that just because I am a white male that I get everything handed to me... I'm not in the goddamned KKK! Everybody expects the white male to take care of everything. How would you like to be in that position? Think you have it bad because other women have self esteem and like to show off their bodies and you don't like it? Think you have it bad because if you don'ty like what's on a particular channel you can just change it? I'm not about to go to congress and whine about how everyone else EXCEPT the white male gets something? Nope. I'm gonna deal with it. I can change the channel if I don't want to see some guy's package about to bust out of bright orange speedos. I can work 2 jobs to get money to get my back fixed. I don't expect special treatment. I'm human, just like the rest of you. What makes you so much more special than me? Oh yeah... you just bitch about stuff until you get your way. I'd rather work for what I want and ignore what I don't. But when I can't watch something on TV because people bitch about it, it really pisses me off. Get a grip, people. Take responsibility for yourselves, don't make everyone miserable because you want the world run YOUR way.

Im not black, jew, or asian or any nationality either. Im not gay, married, nor do I have any kids. I dont get benefits either. And you think being a woman gives you the right to yell "rape" at someone you dont like? Thats definetly one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. In fact, what does your whining about not getting any special treatment have to do with this post??

I dont get any special treatment. But Im not going to whine in a whole paragraph about it, because I can only look on the good side of things. B itching and moaning will get me nowhere. Yes, censorship will lead to the depletion of our rights. Its bad. Thats one thing we agree on. But I think you have a bit of a warped view on things.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Interesting thread people.

But everyone is ignoring a few glaring facts....

1. Sex/sexuality is the root of all evil.

2. Anyone who has sex and actually feels pleasure is going to hell.

3. Studies have shown (LINK) that a single nipple viewed on a television will immediately cause the collapse of the national economy, cause famine, bubonic plague, and the implosion of 3.65 million people's skulls.

next time you want to view a nipple on live tv, think about that.

-Durandal

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join