It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates says Iran bigger worry than Russia in LatAm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Gates says Iran bigger worry than Russia in LatAm

www.miamiherald.com

The Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates says he is troubled by Iranian activities in Latin America that he sees as meddling. But he told a Senate panel Tuesday that Russian military outreach there doesn't bother him at all.

Iran has used the United States as a foil as it tries to establish ties with left-leaning Latin American leaders.

Gates didn't say just what he thinks Iran is up to militarily. But he called Iran a threat there that Russia, despite high-profile maneuvers, is not.

Gates shrugged off Russian naval tours in places like Venezuela. He said that if Russia hadn't raised alarms by invading Georgia last year, he would have invited Russian ships to dock in Miami as well.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is getting pretty interesting. This is the first example I am aware of where a Islamic nation has sought inroads in the United States backyard!

Either Iran is becoming shrewder in their moves to strengthen the difficulties in attacking their nuclear facility or the United States is manufacturing more reasons to cast Iran as a threat to U.S. regional security.

The latter seems to be at play somewhat in part since Russia has a much greater presence in Latin America and the Caribbean.

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
While I don't doubt for a moment that Iran's motives are a lot more than just Diplomatic, who the hell are the US to have a go at them?

So Iran wants ties with people like Chavez... so? What about America and their ties with right wing governments/group/cartels (woops did I say cartels? I meant business organisations)? What about when the US backed people like Galtieri? The same Galtieri who headed the fascist Junta in Argentina that was responsible for thousands of deaths and disappearances among their own civilian population, and that ultimately wound up getting its arse handed to it by the British in the Falklands?

Talk about hypocritical.

And can someone PLEASE get Obama to explain why GATES is still holding anything resembling power in the US Government?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Daystar

Talk about hypocritical.

I agree with you a 100%! We here in the United States have the most screwed up double standards regarding foreign policy.

And can someone PLEASE get Obama to explain why GATES is still holding anything resembling power in the US Government?

It is things like this that give credibility in my humble opinion to the possiblity that a shadow government is in actual control and that the elected President of the United States is little more than a figure head and mouth piece. The announcement to keep Gates onboard was one of Obama's first staff anouncements after becoming President Elect. I felt that decision was forced upon him somehow, someway. I would like to be wrong but it does often appear like the security/military establishment is who is really in control of the government.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Iran has several financial investments in Venezuela and in Bolivia there are no visa restrictions for Iranian citizens. Paraguay is also friendly with Iran. Don't get me wrong I have nothing personal against Iran, they do seem to be making some bold moves though. Personally I think Bolivia was silly for allowing Iran free access to their country and it could open the door for other countries to follow suit but I guess thats what a $1 billion dollar investment in Bolivian gas buys you these days.

One must take into consideration that the US has largely ignored the Latin America region for years. They (LatAm) need trading partners to survive economically and it never hurts to have some friends on your side. The US has indirectly allowed their enemies access to their backyard.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

One must take into consideration that the US has largely ignored the Latin America region for years. They (LatAm) need trading partners to survive economically and it never hurts to have some friends on your side. The US has indirectly allowed their enemies access to their backyard.

Devoting so much of our foreign policy attention to the Middle East certainly has some drawbacks to be sure. Great post.

top topics

join