It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else notice a difference in their credit card balance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ok, I'm kinda between freaked out and dumbfounded right now. I logged onto my bank account page. And my credit card balance was 0. When just a few days ago when I was doing some bill paying, I had a balance of about $1100 on my $2000 limit. I only give this info because I am completely confused. I can not find any press release about this on my banks website, which is a bank for state employees. It is a private bank, but offers specific benefits to those in the employ of North Carolina.

I'm kinda worried, because I keep asking myself what the catch is, as I was never informed about any sort of transactions, and none show up on my online running statement. If anyone else has noticed this, please post here so we can figure this out.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ludaChris

Sounds like a bank error to me.

You have two choices, tell the bank about this or keep your mouth zipped and hope nobody notices. It could end up that the bank will explain it for you and everythings ok.

I would get a few other opinions if you are unsure.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
While this may be something that has been done deliberately...in which case you should jump for joy and have a beer.....I would be skeptical that it is nothing more than a computer error. Recently I had a mate who checked his account balance one day only to find it had been credited 1.3 million (Aus) dollars. He immediately contacted the bank who found the error and corrected it.

On the flipside to this I have heard many a horror story of people being prosecuted for using money that was incorrectly credited to them. My advice...ring the bank and tell them and go from there.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
What I would do is cancel the credit card right now. and if one day they call you on it, just say hmmm well the reason I canceled it was because I thought my Husband or wife or whatever paid it off, So I got rid of it. But thats just me, I dont mind taking advantage of the criminals.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I agree with the above poster, if you leave it, then you could be creating a rod for your own back a few months down the line, usually when this happens, it is pt right at the end of the day when all the transactions are calculated against the balance sheets of the bank involved.

They will find the mistake.

Can I add an heads up please?

ATM charges for withdrawing cash, I have noticed this last week, last week my favourite ATM charged £1.50 for a withdrawal, Saturday morning it was at £1.94, so I decided to find another,(tired of being ripped off, in an emergency £1.50 was easy to swallow, over the past few days other machines have followed suit, the people who operate these machines, have decided to pass charges onto customers, and it is rolling along to other machines also, so please be aware, if you can try another machine, don't let the bastards make us pay for their mistakes, if we don't use them, they have no option but to stop, thats how they make their money after all.

We really do need to stop these leeching conmen, if everyone said no to this crap for just one day, it would scare them half to death, what we need is an International don't pay your bill day, they would soon rethink their policies .

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It really riles me when I see ATM machines wanting to charge me to take my own money out, Its absurd!! I mean how cheeky is it!?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Ohhh and soz, my advice to the OP is try your luck at cancelling the card if you dont plan to use the credit card for anything else.

If its a necessity to be able to buy things on credit then you had probably best let the company know. And be cheeky, tell them you've been honest and you want some kind of perk for your conduct

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
what we need is an International don't pay your bill day, they would soon rethink their policies .

Hehehe I had a good chuckle at that (or maybe it is just the Champaign I just drank going to my head...)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by daxman
Ohhh and soz, my advice to the OP is try your luck at cancelling the card if you dont plan to use the credit card for anything else.

If its a necessity to be able to buy things on credit then you had probably best let the company know. And be cheeky, tell them you've been honest and you want some kind of perk for your conduct

I've maintained a balance around $1000 for about a year. Not a lot of debt, and manageable for me. I guess I'll wait till the bank opens and check again. I've had this card for about 2 years and I've never seen this happen at anytime of the day or night. My checking and savings are normal, nothing wierd. Just thought it was strange. Because I did some searching on debt forgiveness, and got several links to news stories about banks teaming up with consumer advocates groups, like this one. Really strange that its the BANKS asking for credit card debt of consumers to be forgiven. Possibly to erase the balance sheets because of out of control credit defaults going on. This was also brought up by Hank Paulson at one point I believe. With the way the government and FED mess with the economy these days, you never know what kind of tricks they may pull to try and fool the markets into thinking everything is fine. If thats the case it won't work.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Yes but recently there has been a spate of massive data breaches for many banks and credit card company's.
They might have had to remove the whole system (hide it) and rebuild it.
I think you will most certainly, sometime soon, see your full amount owing back in your account.
And if you don't, I am somehow going to open a credit card account at your bank.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Could it be possible that your bank fell under the ones whose account information was stolen recently? This might be an error generated as a result of that, as they reset accounts, change passwords, etc.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit: lol, beat me to it.
Typing fast never was my forte.

[edit on Tue Jan 27th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ludaChris

I hate banks; mine is disordered with this type of errors monthly. Make sure you keep receipts, or print out or save online transactions. If your bank is experiencing this type of error it’s likely it could experience others. I once made a deposit that never showed up in my account and my bank wouldn’t acknowledge the transactions existence without a receipt. Thank goodness I had one. You can’t trust banks, if I thought hiding my money under a mattress was remotely safe I’d switch to that in a heart beat.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Her in Norway i think we are off quite good yet. My bank account is plus and i own my house.

But there is one thing that bothers me and that is since i dont have a loan. I still have to pay tax for the money i own. I even have to pay a tax on the house that i own. Whats the point of owning things if you really dont own them anyway!
If i stop paying taxes for my money or house i loos it all. Only then i am let of the hook.

The value of a human lies in the values he poses.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Could it be possible that your bank fell under the ones whose account information was stolen recently? This might be an error generated as a result of that, as they reset accounts, change passwords, etc.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit: lol, beat me to it.
Typing fast never was my forte.

[edit on Tue Jan 27th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

I'm in North Carolina, not Washington state, and my bank hasn't sent out notices of any breach of security, which I imagine it would want to do as soon as possible. My new statement period began the 22nd, it's now the 27th. I guess it's possible some breach could have happened, but I'm thinking error of some kind. I'm off work today so I'm gonna sort it out ASAP. Thanks for the link though, interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
Her in Norway i think we are off quite good yet. My bank account is plus and i own my house.

But there is one thing that bothers me and that is since i dont have a loan. I still have to pay tax for the money i own. I even have to pay a tax on the house that i own. Whats the point of owning things if you really dont own them anyway!
If i stop paying taxes for my money or house i loos it all. Only then i am let of the hook.

The value of a human lies in the values he poses.

Same here in the states man. Kind of feels like renting your own property. Don't pay the tax and the repo man comes and takes it away. Own it or not. Probably that way anywhere in the Western world. #in banks.

new topics

top topics

join