It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melbourne, Australia expecting worst heatwave in 100years this week! (5 days over 105F)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Will living here in the UK I'd swap with you Aussies anytime! I was in Cairns at the height of Summer a few years ago and loved the heat - would emigrate in a flash but that damn point system!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

However, it's predicted that global warming will lead to such heatwaves becoming more common and more extreme. So if such heatwaves do become more common and more extreme than we have some validation to the theory.

No!
we have no validation to it because it is still just a theory.
I have pointed out in the 70's the big scare was a mini ice age and people where all in a panic over that.
Now we have the same scientists saying that its Global warming, a 100% turn around.
How can you believe any theory when you can have a 100% opposing view in 30 years?
The planet is roughly 4.5 billion years old.
We have studied weather for 100 years.

saying what is happening to the weather with any certainty is as accurate as picking the lottery numbers the day of the draw.

all we know is that we have weather and it gets hot and cold.
Heat waves like this are common in Melbourne and happen roughly every 7 years which just so happens to coincide with the el nino/ la nina cycles.
so if you are 14 you have experienced 2 and if you are 21 you have experienced 3 heat waves, not very many when you consider how many years have gone by.

Core samples from a large porites coral from the Cairns region which was around 1,200 years old determined that there is a 7 year cycle, a 70 year cycle and a 700 year cycle it was assumed there was also a 7,000 year cycle with the weather from the sample taken.
porites coral produces rings like a tree due to sediment and water quality.

I prefer to listen to the researchers doing the coral samples who didn't have a global warming agenda.
I asked them plenty of questions and I am amazed at the patterns I have started seeing in the weather myself

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
This has always confused me and I try to ask people but they don't seem to understand.

How is this proof of anything like Global Warming if it happened 50 years ago and 51 years again before that? I'm confused.

I have to agree ... somewhat.
The weather has been unpredictable lately, but for all we know it's been like this alot longer than we've been recording the data.

Seems it's normal to have extreme weather anywhere in the world, too hot or too cold. Too much snow or rain, or too dry.

We get those temps lasting for days most summers in Canada too, as I'm sure other places also experience heatwaves. It can reach 45 celsius, not sure what the highest has been recorded at. Other summers it's crappy, it's just the way it goes.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well Melbourne has set itself a new record by having 3 consecutive days above 43 degrees Celcius for the first time.

tell ya what, it was damn hot and especially yesterday when large parts of melbourne had blackouts due to the heat...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Yeah its been a scorcher down that way, in fact Darwin was the coolest capital city a couple of days ago. We had a 29 degree maximum, which was due to monsoonal showers and storms

A high pressure system located over the Tasman Sea will remain slow moving.
Another high south of the Bight will pass south of Tasmania during the weekend
and reach the Tasman Sea on Monday. Yet another high pressure system will pass
to the south of Tasmania on Tuesday.

This is a classic example of what happens when a high pressure system slowly moves to the south and east of Victoria. Hot desert winds are experienced from the northerly compass points.

A high pressure system will track across Bight waters to cross Tasmania tonight
before reaching the Tasman Sea on Wednesday. A low pressure system will develop
at the head of the Bight early on Wednesday before moving steadily
southeastwards with an associated cold front entering Victoria on Thursday and
crossing to the east of the State early on Friday.

The above is an outlook from our internal website, it looks like some relief is expected around mid week

Keep cool

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Everything burns. Everything breaks.

And records are meant to be broken...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonspurter
Will living here in the UK I'd swap with you Aussies anytime! I was in Cairns at the height of Summer a few years ago and loved the heat - would emigrate in a flash but that damn point system!!!!

Cairns, heat? HA!!!

Try living in north west WA, then you will understand what heat is, lol.

Thats the hottest part of the country, during summer and even Spring and Autumn, maximum temperatures are usually 38 degrees and over for up to three and a half months.

Compared to the rest of the tropics, Cairns is beautiful and cool. I have lived there, and north west WA and now Im in Darwin....

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
It can reach 45 celsius, not sure what the highest has been recorded at. Other summers it's crappy, it's just the way it goes.

Hottest temperature in Canada was 45 degrees celsius (113F), at Midale and Yellowgrass both July 5th 1937

Hottest temperature in the world was 57.8 degrees celsius (136F) in Al-Aziziyah, Algeria in 1922

Hottest temperature in Australia was 50.7 degrees celsius (123F) in Oodnadatta, South Australia, in 1960. Cloncurry in Queesland claims to have the record at 53.0 degrees celsius, but the thermometer was improperly set up inside a beer crate instead of a Stevenson Screen, which is the offical shelter used for our instruments. So officially Oodnadatta holds it

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by vonspurter

Cairns, heat? HA!!!

Try living in north west WA, then you will understand what heat is, lol..

Having come form the UK originally, it is a treat to feel hot weather! I love hot weather, but not when it reaches 38 C and goes on for days and days, then we all complain it's too hot.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Have things cooled down now in Melbourne, is everyone ok?

Any hospital admissions?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Hello Melbourne_militia

My Cousin is from Vic. He lives in Mel and his family are from Cohuna. I was there nearly 3 years ago and they said they had a temp of 44 in 05 or 06 and that is mad hot. That was a new years day temp! I was there in your winter and found it hot for me.

Beautiful place and I wish I'd been there before. The mighty Murray was awesome and my uncle showed me all the places he built while he drove me round, brill. Oz and the Oz people are the the best mate.

That heat must be bad bad bad.

????

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
When I go to Fes, Morocco in the summer, the average temp can get to like 38 to 45 C, it can get even hotter!

Anyway the funny thing is, your body almost adapts to it, at the start I felt like I was dying, after a while it almost starts to feels normal! (plus fes is well designed, lots of cool shadows to stand in and spacious rooms to keep cool) Amazing how the body adapts.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
When I go to Fes, Morocco in the summer, the average temp can get to like 38 to 45 C, it can get even hotter!

Anyway the funny thing is, your body almost adapts to it, at the start I felt like I was dying, after a while it almost starts to feels normal! (plus fes is well designed, lots of cool shadows to stand in and spacious rooms to keep cool) Amazing how the body adapts.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

Yes it is funny how the body adapts, but apparently the earth doesn't

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Hottest temperature in Australia was 50.7 degrees celsius (123F) in Oodnadatta, South Australia, in 1960.

That would be a nice mild day out in West Texas.

Put on them shades and stay in the shade!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by duffster
Try living in the North west for 18 years and having only 2 seasons summer and winter...Its hot work up north and you drink like a fish...

I can tell you right now that a 45 in Melbourne is nothing like a 45 up North in W.A ...so take a teaspoon of cement and harden up

Exactly.

What really tickles me is WA recently had a week long spate of 39-42 degree days (I was out in the 41-42c day and it was a pure oven in the shade, stinging and dry), and it barely made the news. Oh but the eastern states gets a bit of it, and it's on every station, oh the crisis, the heat, oh whatever will we do!!!11punctuationpunctiation1

ARGH!!

I wish we could get a really big pair of scissors and cut WA off the rest of the country, they steal our cash and then make us watch repeats of the very eastern-state-centric news.

It's a laugh... 4am till 5am it's US news from yesterday. From 5am till 9am it's a copy of a US based show in Australian format, from the eastern states, 2-3 hours delayed. Good ol' mel and koche tho, troopers.

WA... Still, can't complain too much.. If it wasn't for the eastern states, we'd have no where to keep all those people from Sydney and Melbourne.

*ahh 25c today, top of 30c. i can actually feel the airconditioner for a change instead of the warm soup that has been air for the last few weeks..*

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
its good when the air conditioners and fans actually work

have you seen the weather forecast for the weekend? (in Melbourne)
Saturday 45° C on Saturday, 25° C on Sunday a 20° C drop in temperature will be interesting to say the least.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Holy smokes, I take back my other comments - 47c with high winds and scorching fires all over the show over there now. Melbourne I heard anyway.

Insane.

When I was in melb in '88 it was morbid, cold, drizzling, and dismal.

Those poor souls must be really choking on this.

Damn..

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

your not wrong there, the whole of Victoria and most of NSW is on a total fire ban and on high fire alert.

here's a list of current fires in Victoria, it's not looking good.

www.cfa.vic.gov.au...

www.dse.vic.gov.au...

Edit: added another link

[edit on 7-2-2009 by iced_blue]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by duffster
Try living in the North west for 18 years and having only 2 seasons summer and winter...Its hot work up north and you drink like a fish...

I can tell you right now that a 45 in Melbourne is nothing like a 45 up North in W.A ...so take a teaspoon of cement and harden up

Many Australians have lived all over Australia mate, tropical heat is wet and humid yes, however the worst heat of all is desert heat (thats why you die so quickly)- Adelaide being the driest city in the the driest state in the 2nd driest continent on earth (Antarctica being the driest) the heat is literally burns straight through you. You can not go outside at all - northern heat is an "uncomfortable heat" and one we have all experienced - perhaps you might try a teaspoon of your own medicine ?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodcircle
WA... Still, can't complain too much.. If it wasn't for the eastern states, we'd have no where to keep all those people from Sydney and Melbourne.

*ahh 25c today, top of 30c. i can actually feel the airconditioner for a change instead of the warm soup that has been air for the last few weeks..*

If it wasn't for us eastern states you would not know how to spell, use traffic lights, understand simple sentences or for that matter even count - if it wasn't for us you wouldn't even know what temperature was.

Its always good to have Western Australians around as it makes even the simplest f our eastern seaboard brethren look positively gifted.

Trimmed big quote

Please read Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote

[edit on 7/2/09 by masqua]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join