It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangerous Mythology Of American Hope

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+88 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
These past few months have witnessed a seismic shift in the emotional landscape of the American psyche. For the first time in a great while, the concept of "hope" entered our minds.

First as a barely whispered notion so tenuous the very mention might ruin its chances of materialization. Sullen and fatigued, we dare not lift our collective melancholy out of fear for another catastrophe of failed expectations.

Then, the seemingly impossible happened -- the gossamer tendrils of a nascent optimism grew from our hushed longings. Suddenly, and without warning, we saw the possibilities of something we had dare not utter; hope.

Now, as this unimaginable arc has delivered its trajectory of full-on hope into the hearts and minds of millions, we are reinvigorated with a sanguine confidence we thought long dead. And here my friends, my conspiratorious speculators, my treasured debate adversaries, and revered readers is the danger of our time.

Hope is a far more dangerous manipulator than fear.

Fear, as a deviously clever device intended for the manipulation of the masses, has been the primary exploitive methodology of the so-called "Powers That Be" for decades. Under the guise of fearful concern for our collective safety, numerous ill-deeds have been perpetrated in our (society's) name. While we (the larger "we" of the nation as a whole) may have great disdain for what has been done, we tolerated the "hard choices" as a fair exchange for safety and security -- while forgetting we have neither.

Hope, especially on the heels of fear, is a far more dangerous and cunning method of control. From the acceptance speech to the inaugural address, our emotions have been expertly carried down a path from baited breath to tearful expectancy. My friends, my conspiratorious speculators, my treasured debate adversaries, and revered readers be not fooled by the grand show playing out in the monstrous amphitheater of American politics. Step back, take pause, deep breath, and recall the reasons and misgivings that inspired your visits to a conspiracy theory web site. There is no "change" other than a new act in the same old play.

Certainly, we have witnessed the historic rise of a Black Man to the most important position of leadership in the world. An accomplishment worthy of a resounding chorus of hope.

Clearly, this man presents ideas and an apparent strategic direction diametrically different than those before him. A stunning injection of violins and violas to the chorus.

Passionately, this man speaks with conviction and evokes the change we longed for. Oboes, clarinets, and french horns pick up the melody of hope, complimenting the strings and voices.

Transformational, are his first acts in office as we applaud bold corrective actions. Drums, cymbals, and percussion transform the beautiful melody of hope into an ambitious march of expectancy.

There is no "change" other than a new act in the same old play. The same orchestra is playing. The same conductor is in charge. The same venue holds the show. Only the music has changed.

What nefarious manipulations may now be accomplished under the guise of hope that could not happen under the specter of fear?

The past decades have shown that real American Hope is a myth. Now, as the orchestra plays an inspired symphony of aspiration, we never notice the ominous bassoon and piano playing the same old undercurrent we've heard for far too long.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by mister.old.school]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I totally agree. A lot of the people I know kept gushing that this was such a symbolic moment in our nations history and they felt good to be Americans for the first time in their life (I'm in my early 20's so history hasn't been so awesome).
I feel just about the same as I did a year ago as far as my opinions on the world. What I mean is I've given up on anything that has been packaged up however the government wants. If you want transparancy in politics start a country with one citizen - yourself.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
"Hope is as hollow as Fear ....

What does it mean that Hope is as hollow as Fear?
Hope and Fear are both phantoms
that arise from thinking of the self" - Lao-tzu from the Tao Te Ching

Much wisdom is contained in that little book. Selfishness is the root of all our problems. Those that seek to manipulate humanity will play on our selfishness, on our hopes and fears.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by 2 cents]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Mister Old School, this is one of the best posts of had read on ATS, your style of writing is refreshing and a pleasure to read. I find myself reading posts on ATS and really wondering if people read and believe anything on here. I like you have now gained the advantage of seeing the play from the balcony, I see the manipulation for what it is and I no longer care about the American Dream as it was not my dream. I care about people with no regard to where they were born or what imaginary lines they call boarders. If I see a hungry person I will offer food if I have it regardless of country or color.

I fear that we have lost our way and the desperate need for change will make manipulation even easier.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There's alot of these threads on ATS. But I disagree entirely with this premise. Everything that is accomplished sis done so based upon hope. Someone with a good idea starts a business based upon the hope of succeeding. When you stand at the altar with your spouse-to-be you make that commitment based upon the hope that it will work out for you both. When you decide to have a child you do so in the hope that he/she will have a good life. When you walk across that bar to say hello to an attarctive stranger you do so with the hope that he/she will receive your advance. You work in school for the hope of future success.

Success and acheivement are almost entirely driven by hope and faith. Without these things we might as well all just sit home and bitch and whine about how unfair the universe is. A degree of cynicism and critical thinking is essential but never at the expense of hope.

I've known people without hope. They have lived rather shallow and unfulfilling lives. Of two people in the exact same situation it will always be the one with hope that will fare better. The extreme of hope is delusion. I reject the premise that the country is deluded. I believe strongly that a wave of hope has spread over the country and even the world at a very dark and ominous time in history. That's a good thing. We need hope now. I feel truly sorry for people who feel the need to piss on anything that isn't gray. But I have learned over my 57 years that people invest their energies either pulling themselves up or attempting to pull everyone around them down.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mister.old.school

You sort of lost me there, mister.old.school, which is no doubt more my fault than yours. I don't see where hope is a myth at all. Hope is internal. It doesn't exist freestanding in the universe (as far as I know). People either have it, or they don't. If they do (unfounded or not), it isn't a myth. It may be unrealistic, it may be ephemeral, but it's there, however short-lived.

Now anyone pegging their "hope" on what the new administration does is probably poised for a fall. That particular brand of hope is about as sustainable as a president's approval ratings. There's the veneer of hope created by putting faith in some external situation to somehow magically make everything better (wishful optimism), and then there's the clear-eyed hope of the pragmatist who sees the obstacles and pitfalls ahead but has the confidence and guts to press on.

So I respectfully disagree. I think among the difference makers and true independent builders and thinkers, hope is as present and valid and concrete as it's ever been. But yes, if someone's "hope" is tethered to some temp Washington politician, then that's a slippery tether, indeed. The folks whose 'hope" is tied solely to the administration change probably weren't going to accomplish anything, anyway.

By the way, I'm frequently wrong.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Hope is internal.

Indeed.

However, I posit that "American Hope", as narrowly defined by our expectations that our government may finally do "right", is a myth.

Pure hope is a powerful motivator.

Manufactured false hope is a powerful manipulator.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Doesn't a con man (confidence man) play on peoples hopes? A con man always uses the hopes and fears of his victims.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by 2 cents]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

If the premise is that there's a whole lot of false hope floating around out there, I don't disagree. If the premise is that hope in America is dead (if it ever existed - hence "myth"), I disagree. There are plenty of people out here who will accomplish much in the next four years in spite of anything going on in Washington. Sitting in a corner and "hoping" will last about 6 months. Maybe.

The rest of us will press on with what needs to be done (and I'm an insignificantly small cog in that wheel), and what the idly hopeful do is irrelevant to the mission. As it's always been.

I don't think Atlas is ready to shrug. Yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hope is a great manipulator, indeed. As was fear.

You are correct in your assumption that some things will never change. The total transparency of our government will never change. Maybe a little here or there, more cooperation will occur, but as for the transparency of secret operations - never. Will we change our international agenda of colonization? Yes. It will change in appearance as we shift from a fear-based propaganda campaign to one that is based on hope. But, the ultimate goal of global dominance will not.

But, give me a choice of fear and hope ... I'll take hope. At least I'll feel good, even knowing that the end will remain the same. If I can go to Belize and not be despised as an American because the world perceives our country differently ... I'll be a happy camper.

There's no stopping the forward motion of America's agenda ... at least, not in my lifetime. It'll take many, many more blundered acts before Average Joe decides maybe there's something wrong with consolidating global power.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." – Dale Carnegie

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
i'm with you Mister.Old.School.....the new boss is the same as the old boss!
i'm thirlled that there MAY BE the possiblity of change (that in itself is hope) but in all honesty...i don't see anything positive coming our way until we as a society see the truth that we are pawns for these ruling elite to do with as they see fit. until we finally get mad and say THATS ENOUGH

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is a remarkable post. Honest yet ominous.

After the oath of office was taken, the crowd of thousands was screaming in dazed euphoria. In my eyes and to my ears, the scene was reminiscent of Caddyshack, when at the end of the movie the late, great Rodney Dangerfield proudly exclaimed, "Hey everybody we're all gonna get laid!" That said, everyone in America is now ready to drop trou, bend over and wait for hope to arrive.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

We need to get more scholarly people like Mr. Old School here on ATS; if nothing more than for the newbies, such as myself, to think of the world from outside our pre-package compartmentalized indoctrinated minds. A fantastic post!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
All that for one guy.
I'm gonna laugh long & hard when he fails.
Don't forget to kiss he's feet.

P.S There is NO hope for the human race.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Well written!! You are obviously well schooled in the literary arts. However, what's your point? What's your punchline? What IS this thing that we are not being "fooled" about? It was FEAR they used. Now they are using HOPE. So, nothing, really has changed. YOU say. But, for all you know, or seem to think you know, you don't really tell us anything. Like so much literature. P.S. -- It is, I'll give you a hand here, about empire and preservation of the empire. And that's not a good thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mister.old.school

What may be accomplished under the guise of hope that could not happen under the specter of fear?

It's already happened, look at the young people engaged in the process. It isn't about hope or Obama or a new boss at all, this hope as I see it is manifesting as citizens getting off our collective butt and making change, real change happen. He couldn't do anything by himself even if he had superpowers, Obama is not the answer, we are, and I believe that message is getting clearer and clearer.

I never supported him during the campaign, I wanted Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinnich to be #1 & 2, however, after seeing the throngs show up in the cold for the inauguration and the spirit of the whole event, I got infused with that insidious hope you mentioned, which by the way I agree with you, your OP was right up my alley, honest.

It ain't about them, it's about us. We often mention the collective power of the people and how "they" could never do these wretched things if we came together-that is where my tentative hope lies, with us, not Barack Obama or his administration.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I tend to agree with the Op. Hope that is not rooted in reality is like pine straw on the fire; It may blaze momentarily but cannot last. I have heard for too long the chorus of .."this is America and we cannot fail", "God is on our side" blah, blah, blah. Well this "we are too great to fail" song is the same one that GM, Ford, and even Rome sung. Though it causes me great angst to contemplate the ensuing misery, I cannot wait to see the false edifices crumble.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
But, for all you know, or seem to think you know, you don't really tell us anything.

For the sake of brevity, my assumption had been that those who frequent this web site would be well-aware of the agenda of the "Powers That Be" who have given this new score to the same old orchestra.

And I present to you, the agenda extends well beyond the notion of empire, and well into the future expectations of global government.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mister.old.school
However, I posit that "American Hope", as narrowly defined by our expectations that our government may finally do "right", is a myth.

And right there, I believe, is the flaw in this premise. Hope and expectation are two entirely different things. That there is a surge in hope across this country and the world is well established. However, at the same time, polls show that Americans believe that the current economic crisis is going to last for a long time. Hope is that we as a country can begin to move in a new, constructive direction. Expectation is that the new Administration will wave some majic wand and all our problems will go away. The latter, it would seem, is not true.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This board thrives on the concept of fear and despair over hope and logic.

The death, gloom, despair and tragedy predcition threads outnumber the hopeful threads 100 to 1. Another day.. we are all doomed, again.. nothing to see here.

While you are entitled to think we are now being controlled with hope..
... some of us will probably continue to attempt to have a positive outlook anyways. I know I will.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join