It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need A Domain Name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Hey guys, I was just wondering where I can buy a cheap domain name, I'm doing a website for a friend and he needs a cheap one, since the website's main goal is not to make money and it is to help others.

-Lahara

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I personally use hostgator.com. The domain name registration will set you back about $15 (annually) and the hosting packages start at $5 month. That's not too bad of a price really. Someone else might have a good idea, but I've been using this place for a few years and haven't had any issues.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

What do you think about having my own server?

I'm worried that one day some sites (like ATS as well as the one I'm creating) may be banned or have to pay more for people to visit them.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRandom1

That would be fine as long as you can get a static ip from your ISP. It's up to you. If you're hosting the site on your own box it really doesn't matter who registers the domain name. They all charge around $20 to do it unless you buy a hosting package as well.

You can also have the static ip forwarded to a dynamic ip address from a company like www.no-ip.com... who will do a port 80 redirect for you.

Many residential ISPs Block port 80, No-IP Free DNS enables you to run a webserver on a non-standard port, yet users accessing your site never have to enter a port number. For example yourname.no-ip.com... can redirect to yourname.no-ip.com:8833...

That might be more of what you're looking for.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I noticed that hostgator is only for linux.
What does that mean, lol?
I'm a little confused.
Does that mean that I can only upload stuff from a linux OS?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I always use networksolutions, they're not the cheapest but they have good options and features.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

No, that's their operating system. You can just use Windows as usual. You won't know the difference.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
HostGator is for hosting domain names isn't it? If you want an affordable domain name, look for a domain registrar. There are heaps around.

The one I usually use is GoDaddy, because I buy extra's like certificates etc.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Hi, visit this site www.active-domain.com.
I think you got the solution.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
i stick with godaddy.com for domain name, its just under $10 a year, and it has automatic billing which is nice in case you forget.
But you have the option to turn it off....

I have *thinking* 5 domains through them.. have had for about 10 years now, and no problems at all.

as far as webspace, i recommend www.000webhost.com/
its who i use, they have a free server, you are limited on your cpanel and extra goodies, but space is space, you can have up to 5 domains, email etc, ftp all the goodies, then if you need to upgrade its only $5 a month i think, maby its $7 i dont remember its automatic now , dont pay much atention to it.

Draw back, no peril or script access, with the free server, but for basic webpage, you can always use remotley hosted services for free. Then if you grow enough upgrade.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
wow why not come with me

I do domains and hosting lol, usual price of $8.99 a year for domains, and hosting from $2 a month now aint that even cheaper than the big dudes!

Anyway ye if your looking for domains then go for dynadot.com they are great!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I use www.dynadot.com... to buy my domain name and hostgator.com for my hosting.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I use godaddy.com for domain names, but would avoid them for hosting especially if its shared hosting lol. But the good thing about godaddy is they always got coupons for registration and renewal just got a 2 year .com for $16

new topics

top topics

join