It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama orders closure of GB within 1 year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Obama orders Guantanamo closure

US President Barack Obama has ordered the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison camp within one year.

The order fulfils a long-standing pledge by Mr Obama.

At Mr Obama's request, military judges have already suspended several of the trials of terror suspects at the Guantanamo detention centre.

He has also ordered a review of the military trials and a ban of harsh interrogation techniques that many consider to amount to torture.

Mr Obama signed the three orders as he further distanced himself from the policies of his predecessor, George W Bush.

news.bbc.co.uk...

===============================================

8 years v 1 day? Could be argued that BO has achieved more in 1 day than Bush did in 8 years with this exec order alone...........

Well done that man.......

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I wonder if that poor cab driver they held will get to go back home? I sure hope so. I am getting a kick out of rednecks telling me they are going to release terrorists into the US. I laugh at that, if they are terrorists then they will be dealt with BY LAW, not by whim anymore.

Too bad that mother who spanked her kids on the plane, who was arrested and charged with a felony, as a terrorist won't get her children back. I think Obama should right that wrong immediately.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by damwel]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I feel sorry for people who have relatives in the service, since their loved ones will be at risk of being killed by these released detainees.

Pentagon: Gitmo detainees returning to battlefield

www.google.com...

(not sure if the link will work, sorry in advance if it does not!)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Too bad that mother who spanked her kids on the plane, who was arrested and charged with a felony, as a terrorist won't get her children back. I think Obama should right that wrong immediately.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by damwel]

Give him time, he's only been in 2 days. He seems to be working through the wrongs of GWB at breakneck speed.......

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
He just better hope that none of the prisoners in Guantanamo go back to being terrorists or his legacy will be defined pretty quickly.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
He just better hope that none of the prisoners in Guantanamo go back to being terrorists or his legacy will be defined pretty quickly.

I don't think he is going to let those incarcerated just walk out of the gates. They will be tried fairly and imprisoned under the consititution or if there is no evidence to support trial then I suspect they will be deported.

Lets face it, if they dont have enough evidence to support the detention of these suspects by now then it is unlikely they will ever find any.

[edit on 22/1/2009 by 0010110011101]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

The way Obama's going he just might!
In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did!

The way it looks right now - Hope does win all the time, but it's winning right now!

peace!

Edit: Amazing the difference a */* can make!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i can see the veil of good deeds has started already, i wonder how long before it lifts. as the constitution is null and void now that a unlawfull candidates been sworn in , i hope the rights to freedom arent given away like the way the patriot act was secretly added with the fires as cover up. i saw a very intresting avatar some one had of obama and a homless guy with the caption"spot the diffrence"or to that effect that made me think, i hope all is well though really i do,you guys needed a grown up president. lil baby bush gave us a laugh i suppose

peace and love mr 50

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Nothing like putting the cart before the horse. Perhaps they should have determined where these detainees will end up before ordering Gitmo closed.

As I understand it their home countries don't want them back.

Murtha would love to have them in his backyard in PA.

If Dukakis was involved he would just give them a furlough and turn them loose.

The devil is in the details. They have a year to figure out this legal mess.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
1 day in office and the weakening of America has begun. What's next...A Terrorist Bill of Rights?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Thought you meant Great Britain then, not Gitmo.
Still, anything's possible.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What an idiotic statement to make straight out of the gate.

Was that really the most important agenda ?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by 0010110011101

Thought you meant Great Britain then, not Gitmo.
Still, anything's possible.

I think Mr Brown will be even further up BO's backside than he was George Bush. As you say though, anything is possible!!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I wonder who is going to explain to the families that some conflated sense of moral superiority lead to their family's death. What happens when these guys cant be prosecuted and are than let go?

We should have just shot these guys on the battlefield....

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bakane
I wonder who is going to explain to the families that some conflated sense of moral superiority lead to their family's death. What happens when these guys cant be prosecuted and are than let go?

We should have just shot these guys on the battlefield....

You're making 2 very big assumptions there:

1. They are ALL guilty.

2. That they are giong to be "let go".

Also, if you had just shot them on the battlefield, what if they had been innocent. Or are you from the shoot first ask question later school?

new topics

top topics

join