It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media coverage on child murders and abductions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
What is up with the media in the US? Every once in awhile I will see something on the television about a missing child. ONE child. The media will cover this child and their story for weeks. Statistics say that a child goes missing every forty one seconds in the United States. That is two thousand one hundred and seven (2107) children A DAY! What is it that gives one child media coverage for weeks over the other countless thousands? Is it just to get our sympathy?

What is going on? I know the media does not have the time for everyone one of them, and some are only reported locally. They would have to have a 24-hour channel without commercials just to keep up.

Is it only the children of the wealthy? That is not always the case.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mormacfey
Statistics say that a child goes missing every forty one seconds in the United States. That is two thousand one hundred and seven (2107) children A DAY!

Linky.....?

Otherwise I'm gonna say BS.

Did you know 84.6% of statistics are made up on the spot?

2107 a day

Thats 769,055 children missing a year

Sorry no way man, BS

Though I do perhaps see the point you might be trying to make in that there is always a certain amount of public and media hysteria when a child is/does go missing. But, I think thats because its genuinely a rarity.

MR

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
People don't need to hear every single history and name to be reminded of their own children. The current news media drama with George, Cindy, Lee + Cayce = Cay...Lee
Anthony is TV tabloid journalism drama that many people cling to. People are so predictable. I wouldn't doubt there are many children and people who die and disappear. We could only guess at the numbers that aren't even reported or off the statistics. Yes, it's very alarming and will probably get even worse in a world crisis.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I was just wondering got some info at

www.fbi.gov...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Maybe the report means missing children who turn up again a few hours later,once a police report is filed it becomes a statistic,without official docs presented it's hard to tell what's going on here.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
To the OP: Ironically I was thinking the same thing! Namely, the Casey/Caylee Anthony case. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for caylee anthony but COME ON! It's been on TV every night for like 3-4 weeks! I was literally sitting in bed last night thinking, "Why Is this STILL in the news every night? especially on Nancy Grace; it's all she friggin talks about." I wouldn't be so irritated if the actual trial received huge media coverage but this, in all likelihood, won't go to trial for at least a year and I feel as if I'm going to hear about this story for the next month (if not, year) AT LEAST.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here's an old thread about it.
I think there is another one that's more informative, but I can't find it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Please, don't mind the "Aliens ate them" references.
How many are still truly missing and how many are from orphanages or homes that "ran away"? (A cover for abductions?)
The Franklin Child Prostitution Ring

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by a.m.e.

I also don't like how the media ignores some children, while focusing on a select few!
Here's a Myspace account that gives alerts for missing children and people!
profile.myspace.com... le&friendID=51428998

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
and it's usually white children from upscale or suburban neighborhoods

i can't remember not 1 case being a black child

top topics

join