It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Codex Gigas Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Codex Gigas, have you heard of it?

A manuscript like no other, and otherwise known as the Devils Bible because it contains a large and incredibly bizarre illustration of the fallen angel Satan.

It is the largest medieval manuscript still in existence, made from over 160 animal skins and at almost a meter long, it takes two people just to lift it.

Written in Latin around 1210 AD, the Codex Gigas has brought disaster and pain to all who have possessed it and many others around them, including plague, mental illness, fire and destruction, the story of it's life is filled with mystery and evil.

The manuscript originally had 320 pages, of which, 7 pages have since been removed with no trace, supposedly highly secretive or possibly and more obviously because they contain the monastic rules of the Benedictine monks.

Legend has it; that it was completed in just one single night, by an individual monk, condemned to inclusion (to be bricked up alive) for his sins, and aided by selling his soul to the Devil; to help guide his hand and perform this impossible task, he bargained the manuscript against his punishment.

Experts have determined that at a writing speed of 20 seconds per line, and many hours of illustration it would have taken close to 30 years to have created the text with a single scribe.

Researchers have apparently confirmed that the manuscript WAS penned by a single scribe, possibly a monk by the name of Herman the recluse, and that it was created over a much longer period than the legend describes, yet still can not explain how the exstensive 12 point calligraphy shows such uniformity and absolutely no signs of tiredness, illness or aging as would be inevitable from its creator.

The researchers believe that the word used for the monks punishment 'inclusion' has been misinterpreted, and actually; that the correct translation is the word 'recluse', which is where they believe they have found the scribes name.

It seems a little strange to me that from the time the scripture was written and followed, in a time where Latin was dominantly used, it would have been incorrectly read, and only now, almost 800 years later someone believes they can read it correctly.

The Codex Gigas holds the entire Vulgate version of the bible along with Isidore of seville's encyclopedia Etymologiae, Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews, Cosmas of Prague's Chronicle of Bohemia, chapters of history, etymology and physiology, a calendar with necrologium, a list of brothers from the Podlažice monastery and details of magic formulae, spells, medicine and other local records.

Apparently, apart from that one single word 'inclusion' the entire text is completely perfect and error free.

And depending on which word you choose to use, the entire text of 320 pages has a thoroughly different meaning.

Is this a conspiracy to dumb down, separate and segregate religious belief from reality by modern religion?, maybe just simply a blind, closed minded approach to the translation of the text?, or is it realy the incorrect understanding of the original scribes meaning.

Pick a word, choose for yourself!

I love the thought of a universal scripture, held within the bindings of a single book approaching the subjects of historic fact, magic and religion all together, and all in line.

And to actually see this aged historic record (although just from Hi-Res photographs) and contemplate its meaning and the secrets and stories it tells, sends a chill down my spine.

Make's me want to believe the legend!

I wonder what intrigue the missing pages hold?

Wikipedia explanation

Official Codex Gigas website

Browse the complete Codex Gigas

I hope you take a little time to look at the links I have posted, even just to look at the pictures, It is a truly wondrous book and an extremely mysterious story, and it has attracted many thousands of people to witness it.

I am not religious in any sense of the word, but this book, I presume, holds a degree of that knowledge which is no longer readily available to those who do not search for it, and it would be interesting to scan through a translation, if anyone can find one?

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Thought this might get the imagination going, maybe it was a bit early.

It is an amazing book, worth a little look on my advice.

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
That link to the online viewer for the book is amazing. You can zoom in far enough to actually read the text if you know the language.

Great thread. I hope it gets a little more notice.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I am glad you took the time to have a look, it seems like a really powerful book to me, and I had never heard of it before today.

I know it is quite a daunting thread to get through, but it is really eye opening, I have spent most of the day reading up on it and although it has made me realy tierd I feel I have learned something important today.

They only want you to know what they show you, if you want more you have got to find it yourself.

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Its threads like this that keep me coming back to ATS.You always find little jewels in all crap the you have to sort through.
Thanks a new mystery for me to read about tonight, good form.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the page exactly opposite the devil is entitles the heavenly city

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by YoungBlood

AKA Los Angeles AKA Satan's ****hole.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Here's a link to NatGeo for their show on the Devil's Bible. If you did not watch it about 2 weeks ago, they're going to show it again in Feb.

channel.nationalgeographic.com...-Videos/06155_00" target="_blank" class="postlink">channel.nationalgeographic.com... e/devil-s-bible-3619/Overview#tab-Videos/06155_00

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Oops, I don't know how to embed a link here.

Here's the web address for the page:

channel.nationalgeographic.com...-Videos/06155_00

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
As the previous member noted,

Thank you for the time you put into something interesting for a change. Not like the 94% of crap on ATS these days.

S & F for ya

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The devil looks more like a midget with hemmoroids.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Very interesting thread. S+F. I'm looking forward to reading more about this text tonight.

And here's the link from above, reformatted as a clickable link.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
There was a small thread about this in December but it flew under the radar. I even posted a link to the hi res images (but since no one responded, I apparently killed that thread).

Thanks to the OP for bringing it to peoples' attention, very cool stuff. It's crazy to think about some guy dedicating his life (or at least 30+ years of it) to this intricate, massive work...and I do mean massive: i think it weighed something like 150 pounds.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Wow, this is really cool. Thanks for posting this. I might have just found my new band's name...
What do you guys think, Codex Gigas/Gygas (major rep to anyone who gets that reference) or The Glass Delusion?

What I find interesting is how articulate the artistry and calligraphy of the book is, when its been hypothesized about how it must have taken 20+ years to finish this tome.

I'll have something to research tomorrow....

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tgautier13
Wow, this is really cool. Thanks for posting this. I might have just found my new band's name...
What do you guys think, Codex Gigas/Gygas (major rep to anyone who gets that reference)

Don't know if this is what you're referring to, but I've wondered if the etymology of Gigas/Gygas relates to Gary Gygax's last name?
I've wondered if Gary was ..er... "appointed" by some other higher ups, to create the world wide phenomenon Dungeons and Dragons franchise.. which spurred the billion dollar industry of MMORPGs we see today.

-

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Are there any other sites that allow you to look at things like this so closely? This is awsome.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Scoured the web and I can't find a translation at all. Very frustrating. I'd love to read it. Why have they not released the full translation to the public domain? Trying to keep some things under wraps?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Thanks very much for posting about this remarkable book--the illustrated initials are simply beautiful.

For anyone interested in the subject of medieval and Renaissance texts like this, you should also look at the works of Friar Luca Pacioli, a Renaissance scholar who taught Leonardo mathematics. Absolutely fascinating.

He is the man who re-introduced and redrew, using Humanist mathematical proportions, the ancient Roman capital letters that we use today (his engraving of "M" is the Metropolitan Museum of Art's logo, btw). This man was no slouch; more a genius--a true "Renaissance man."

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Great Thread! Thanks for sharing - I have never heard of it before but now I have something new and exciting to look into today! Does anyone know if a translated copy has been published?

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I've always been very fascinated by antiquarian books and manuscripts and the amount of detail, skill and effort involved in some of those early works.

But i'm not sure what the "conspiracy" here is..? It's a manuscript that, while heavily dotted with the Devil, contains earlier versions of popular historical works. I'm not devaluing its significance or its beauty in any way, mind you. It's an incredible piece of history. I'm just not seeing what the conspiracy in this is...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join