It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19 million farmed poultry to be slaughtered in Canada to stop bird flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

The move follows the infection of two farm workers who had handled sick birds. Those infections also prompted the World Health Organization to raise Canada's "pandemic preparedness level" to the same as those Asian countries affected by a different strain of avian influenza.

another link:

www.enn.com...

[Edited on 10-4-2004 by mo_trot]

[Edited on 10-4-2004 by mo_trot]

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This may be my inner hippy speaking but...I think killing all of those chickens is just plain wrong. Release them into the wild or on an island or something, let them die naturally. Oh well, I have no say in their decision.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Something I'm curious about with this bird flu.I live where it first broke out so to speak and something I noticed was there are no reports out of Washington state that I know of that indicate wether there are any signs of it across the border which is only a couple of miles away.They claim the carrier is wild ducks and geese.Are they not allowed across the border?Are the ducks checked for vaccinations and refused entry if thier papers are not in order?Just curious.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
19 Million!!!! omg, poor chickens...but they were going to be slaughtered anyways....remember they are bred for our consumption. These animal diseases are really scary....let's hope nothing similar spreads to our pets.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Putting those poor birds out of their misery, regardless of a potential disease, is best for them. The conditions that animals are raised for slaughter including poultry, IMHO well crosses the line of animal abuse of any animal on this planet.

Some stated farm horses, or capture the wild excesses and just make them into dog food. Other states will imprison a poor farmer that can no longer treat his horses well, for animal cruelty.

Why is it that if an animal is being raised for processing, that they can be bred in horrible conditions and killed in very inhumane ways.

And yet if I kill a chicken in the city limits with my hands, in public view, I will get arrested for the inhumane treatment of animals..

The diseases are in part due to the 'normal' breeding practices and raising of livestock and poultry with food made from other animal parts.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It's very wrong to kill all those animals, but then again they were going to be slaughtered anyway and it's bad enough most chickens are kept in small, crowded cages, where the only thing they can move is their heads.

top topics

join