It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching webcams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I had just got a web cam about 2 weeks ago, first one I've had because i just got my first computer.

My web cam has a green light that comes on when in use or on. I know this because I was testing it and looking at all the tools that come with the software. About a week ago i was walking into my room and i noticed it was on, i looked and the web cam window wasn't open and it wasn't running in the slide bar. So i got a little paranoid because i figured that a good hacker could see someones web cam. I turned it up towards the ceiling and the light went off. The next day i put it back down, and later in the day the light came back on.
Now this was going on for a few days, so i figured i would be a little funny (if someone was actually watching) and i wrote on a piece of paper "NSA? am i on the list? well come and get me..."
The light hasn't turned on since.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I think you are a newbie computer user and being a bit paranoid.

Perhaps you have MSN or Skype? Either one of them probably has an auto receive incoming video calls setting that may be on. Perhaps people try to call you when you are not there. Maybe your wife is running some spy program - who knows.

This is simple to solve. Simply pull your cams USB cord out when you are not using it.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thanks, no not paranoid, just stupid with computers. I do have yahoo though. And thank god i don't have a wife...only 17.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Make sure you set a good strong password for your Admin account if you are using Windows. That will help with security.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
if i was you i would be paranoid the CIA or the FBI or both have their own window into your computer if you dont have a digital tv in the same room that you have your computer in i'd keep the cam pointed up while not in use(just to be safe)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't know why the cia/fbi would be watching me though.I mean i've gotten into trouble (a lot) before but nothing they would want to watch, just misdemeanors.
The really weird thing is that the light hasn't come back on after i put the note up to it.

new topics

join