It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was SIGHTINGS cancelled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
You know the show hosted by Tim White, the show that was on Fox, that went to the Sci-Fi channel. In the 90's there was one reason and one reason alone why I watched the sci-fi channel, it wasn't re-runs of star-trek, it wasn't babalon-5, it wasn't battlestar galactica, it wasn't stargate, it wasn't any of those horrible shows, it was SIGHTINGS.

I know for a FACT that SIGHTINGS got amazing RATINGS, why would the scifi channel, a channel with few original shows, a channel with few NEW shows, cancel one if not it's most popular new show?

How do I know it got great ratings? Because I watched it every week, and I know various other people that watched it every week, I even visited my grandparents and my uncle, people who normally watch Jeporady and the History Channel, world war II and civil war shows, the News and the weather channel, people that never watch SCIFI, people that never watch paranormal shows, even THEY watched SIGHTINGS, I was surprised, even they, ultra-skeptics were amazed by the UFO footage, of saucers flying through jets and so forth.

So why was it cancelled? That's what I want to know.

This is what I do know, the official scifi forums message board banned me after I asked the question, something has got to be up, I know they make their living off of stargate, that stargate show is horrible, I played the stargate worlds online beta for a few minutes before I noticed it was the worst game ever made. Anyway, back to my question, anyone have any clues as to why it was cancelled? anyone have scifi channel connections? theories? anything? I would post this in conspiracy theories but I don't have a conspiracy theory and most people tuned into the show for UFOs.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
S&F. That is really interesting. I never watched the show myself but you bring up some very interesting points. I will keep my eye on this thread.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Sightings was a show on FOX network in the early nineties that ran for about two and a half seasons maybe three.

what you were watching on sci-fi were re-runs not newly produced shows.

They stopped airing them because they ran out of episodes.

spiderj

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well Tim moved on...

"Tim joined WKYC-TV3, Gannett's NBC affiliate in Cleveland, OH in 1999." "He serves in the Air Force Reserve with the rank of brigadier general."

Source

His email is on the page... email him.

Although i believe as of the first, he has left.

I'm sure they'll pass it along

[edit on 8/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hm, maybe explains why the OP was banned from the Sci-Fi boards? It wasn't their program?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiderj

There were 111 episodes over five years/seasons

www.tv.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 8/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
They would never be able to keep up with the activity. With every other person with an eye to the sky and a camera in hand the amount of irrefutable information would take the mystery and awe out of it. This is the case where the doubt is the lynchpin.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Perhaps Fox or the Sci-Fi channel should consider bringing back the show. My wife and I watched every week and thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was one of those shows that could be taken at face value, or it could, if you took the time, make you think, wonder, and ponder each segment, and whether there was something behind it.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
wikipedia....

The series began on Fox in 1992 (the first Paramount Television production ever to air on that network), in a 30 minute long format that aired on Friday nights. When the show was put into syndication in 1994, it was extended to an hour long format and was on at various times. In 1996, it was picked up by Sci Fi Channel. Sightings was cancelled in 1997 (although a special episode aired in 1998), and reruns continued on the Sci Fi Channel until 2003.

anyway I swear I saw new episodes on the scifichannel, not as many as on fox but they did have a few new ones,

on a related note, Dan Akroyd was going to have a new UFO show on the scifi channel SIGHTINGS style, and he's a MUFON supporter, Dan told a story on the coast to chast am radio show that a MIB talked to him and told him to keep quiet or something, then he got a call from scifi telling him the show was cancelled.

I don't know, but I get the feeling the scifi channel is a front, contantly producing the worst ORIGINAL movies in the world with the WORST special effects, about aliens, monsters, dinosaurs, their all equally horrible pieces of trash, I wouldn't go as far as to say those movies have subliminal message brainwashing scifi fans but they are dumbing down scifi fans, a core group of people that would be interested in UFOs, and don't get me started on GHOST HUNTERS, that show hunts dust and has a cast of clausterphobic panseys. I just would like to see a sightings type show put on the air, and I know millions would like the same thing, coast to coast am for example, it is the largest radio show in america, okay well I just saw that george noory is going to have a new show on the scifi channel.

www.scifi.com...

This doesn't surprise me at all, anyone who knows george noory, and I know him, I've listened to this guy in over 1,000 coversations, I know how he thinks, I know he's an actor, he either wants to be friends with everyone or he pretends he wants to be friends with everyone, when a guest says I believe in ET, george will agree he does too, and when another caller will say they don't believe in ET george will agree with them as well, he is a flip flopper that has no actual beliefs of his own, he is catholic yet is not religious but claims to be spiritual, he has no actual beliefs because when questioned he will align his beliefs with anyone elses, unless of course they aren't politically correct, he's a perfect puppet for the scifi channel, at this point I believe the scifi channel is probably controlled by some group that wishes to keep the people in the dark, evidence of this would be the commercials that the scifi channel aired in the 90s, one was a UFO flying around the twin towers in NY, pre 911 obviously, the actors were on a helicopter the UFO was CGI, it was just a scifi commercial but it's true purpose was probably to see how gullible their audience was, people to this day still believe the video is real and it can be seen on youtube on a regular basis.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingunknown

one liner edited by spiderj.

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Spiderj]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I used to watch that show all the time, i also wondered why it was cancelled.. Did i quick google search and found this site.

here

One software product was released related to the Sightings television show called Sightings:UFOPedia. The software included pictures, reports, footage, and never before seen footage from the show in an encyclopedia format.

interesting, i found it on amazon for a good price.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by phrankie79]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingunknown

You will be interested to visit this website by John Matthews, this is the largest
database on the Internet based on the classic tv show Sightings. You may get
your answers asking Matthews who also has photos, memorabilia and almost all
the episodes on DVD.

www.glowingdial.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I remember it being big, even here in Australia. I was miffed when they stopped airing the show. It kinda cashed in on the whole X-Files hype. Perhaps it just ran it's natural course.

I seem to remember LMH (Linda Moulton Howe) having something to do with Sightings also...

A few of her other television productions have included The World of Chemistry for PBS; a two-hour special Earth Mysteries: Alien Life Forms in association with WATL-Fox, Atlanta. Linda was Supervising Producer and Original Concept Creator for UFO Report: Sightings financed by Paramount Studios and the Fox network in Los Angeles. Its first broadcast was in October 1991, which became the Sightings series on Fox.

Source: Wikipedia

Perhaps someone can contact LMH?

Linda Moulton Howe Email

IRM

[edit on 9/1/09 by InfaRedMan]

top topics

join