It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians please read ASAP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hello Everyone I'm 33 years old and my Dad is dying currently he's living on Life Support I personally don't believe in Life support but I was wondering if anyone can throw me some verses to help me make the right decision. I only have a day or to please help me.

P.S
I want to do the right thing within God's Word.

Glan.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I will pray for him and you...I also suggest you ask God in prayer for guidance.

Blessings friend...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I ask everyday but I'm sooo scared I'll make the wrong decision he can eaither have something put in his throat and have a very low chance to live but he will have to go to a facility 80 miles away and he's always said he don't want to live on life support, but he thinks he's going back home and tonight I'm going to have to break the news to him.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Pray and ask God, the voice inside me tells me not to post any verses.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Do you have other family members that you can speak with to reach consensus? Do you have a priest or minister you can speak with?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Yes I have been talking to my Sister, Minister, and Family, but I'm just real scared I guess. I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by glan

Give life a chance and have faith.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

I have very much faith the problem is he has about 30% lung capacity and now has the pneumonia they are pumping his lungs 3x more than the normal person takes in.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well thank you to those who did reply I really appreciate it

God bless all of you.

Glan

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Here are some verses I hope gives some comfort.
from Source

1Peter 1:3-4

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

1Peter 1:7

7That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

1Peter 1:13 (for you to contemplate)

13Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

You and your Father will be in my prayers.

edit to add:
Talk to him.

My Father passed last pring, and although on morphine and unable to blink, etc...
I spoke of a memory, a special moment between He and I, when I was a child and although seemingly non-responsive, when I spoke of that long-ago memory, he did smile, as he breathed his last breath.

Trust that your words may somehow be heard and of comfort to him at this time.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hello

I am a Pagan so please disregard if you'd rather not hear this and I guarantee and promise here and now I will not take offense

My opinion is take a moment and think of your Dad. He might be in pain and suffering. Hear the doctors out then think from his stance. What do you believe to be true? Is he hurting? Then think about this, if he recovers what is the quality of life? Lung tissue doesn't grow back well if at all.

I can't even hope to understand the pain you are in now. Think as best you can from his own mind and body

Good luck and try to stay as positive as you can

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by glan

My God glan I,m so sorry you are goin through this. I have no advice but i,m thinking of you, your family and especially your dad.

Also I,m sure many more people are reading and not posting and I,m sure their hearts are with you too.

Lots of love mate.

Albert

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I know it must be extremely stressful. I have been in the same position many times. My father had a stroke and was in nursing homes and back and forth to the ER for 3 years always on the verge of death. I was called in the middle of the night repeatedly.

Believe or not - no matter what happens - your Dad will not die one second short of the lifetime God ordained. Take comfort in that, take counsel from family and professionals, and pray. Talk to your Dad about salvation if that is a question. I hope that isn't an issue.

I'll pray for you both as well.

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Most hospitals have clergy members either with offices there or on call. I know you have talked to your own minister, but it might also be worthwhile to speak to one who will have pretty extensive experience both helping family members through the decisions you have to make, and helping patients to make their own living wills.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
We haven't forgotten about you and your father Glan....stay strong and true.

Blessings...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well, it's a bit late, but I would tell your father that it is ok for him to go. If he is suffering, then remove his need to be here and let him know it will be ok.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I would say that in a case like this, you cannot make the wrong choice.

If you choose to put him on life support, and God wants him, he will go anyway.

If you do not put him on life support, and it really isnt his time to go, he will stay.

Listen to your heart, and do what you feel you must, but in truth, you dont hold his life in your hands, God does. So please dont feel you must have the wisdom of God when choosing.

You love him. You will do the best you can and the rest is up to God.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I am probably too late but will input something on the subject.
I went through something similar with my girlfriend's mother.
She was on a respirator machine to help her breath and came down with pneumonia. The difference was that her mind was pretty much done anyway because of Alzheimer's.
I doubt that just being on a respirator would have been what your father had in mind by saying he did not want to be on life support.
As long as there is a possibility of recovering from the infection and having a halfway normal life after-wards, being on a respirator is no big deal.
My sister's fiancé had an accidental injury and was on a respirator. He died because of an inoperable liver injury and died.
If he could have recovered, being on the respirator would have been a minor concern.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Do you really think a book written thousands of years prior to the creation of such a dilemna can possibly address the decision you need to make?

Listen to what YOU feel is the right action, and then take it, knowing you only have that person's best interest at heart...

top topics

join