It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal judge arrests Ala. sheriff over jail food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Federal judge arrests Ala. sheriff over jail food

news.yahoo.com

DECATUR, Ala. – A federal judge ordered an Alabama sheriff locked up in his own jail Wednesday after holding him in contempt for failing to adequately feed inmates while profiting from the skimpy meals.

U.S. District Judge U.W. Clemon had court security arrest Morgan County Sheriff Greg Bartlett after dramatic testimony from skinny prisoners about paper-thin bologna and cold grits. The hearing offered a rare look into Alabama's unusual practice of letting sheriffs pocket money left over from feeding inmates.

The sheriff, who showed no emotion when his arrest was ordered, had testified that he legally kept as personal income about $212,000 over three years with surplus meal money but denied that inmates were improperly fed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well we have here some justice folks! and a win for all the underfed inmates who took part in this investigation. In Alabama it is legal for sherif's to keep and use as personal money, any funds left over after the inmates are fed, so what does this do? he underfeeds them and makes a heafty profit. Right, wrong? doesn't matter it happened folks and now the sherif sits in his own jail until he can come up with a solution and a plan to feed the inmates a nutritious meal 3 times a day, I hope he likes his own meals. I had to share this one hope you all enjoy!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-1-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
woot for alabama - the state where you can marry your own blood relatives and have children....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Lol! well put but at least they are quick to lock up their lawmen for not following the law's wich is more then i can say for some other states

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
GREED = EVIL

The Sheriff is a Greedy Evil Bastard - much like some of his inmates no doubt.

For convicts that's a violation of the 8th amendment - cruel & unusual punishment. For detainees that's punishment without being convicted of a crime a violation of due process - 4th amendment.

Too bad they can't keep the Sheriff in Jail for 10 days, so he can get a taste of his own medicine.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The law allowing the sherrif to keep leftover funds is beyond stupid.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I thought this was a decent example of justice, in light of the recent "cop bashing" thats been going on in some threads this state acctually locked him up for his greed! I hope more people read this article and realize that not all judicial systems are bad (though most are clearly flawed) bump as well I don't want this one to "die" so quick

new topics

top topics

join