It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New safety rules for children's clothes have stores in a fit

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
ummmmmmm......the real story is

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

From -

www.cpsc.gov...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I saw something about that on the news this evening, and they said won't be taking all the children's off store shelves, they are testing higher up so it won't have any effect on that, at least in that way.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Alex Jones covered this story yesterday.

At least that means more people will become aware of it.

As he pointed out, just like *they* are clamping down on people who sell fresh vegetables, milk, etc - *they* are forcing people away from community and self dependence and by law forcing them into the governmental vein to survive.

This is what Stalin did.

So for you people who don’t see the wolf in these sheep's clothes, or lack there of, wake up!

*P*E*A*C*E*

[edit on 9-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Sad,Sad,Sad!! I have gotten used clothes for 12 years now, and have recently started buying my kids new clothes, because we can afford it now. My son has gotten hand me down clothes from my husband's aunt for 10 years, and he's 11. Without those clothes we wouldn't have been able to really clothe him. I donate tons of clothes to charities when my son has grown out of clothes. In fact, in our recent move i donated 6 bags of clothing to the salavation army with mine, my kids and my husband's clothing. Now it's going to be thrown away?? What a waste!! I have a hard time throwing away clothes unless they are stained, or ripped! I feel bad for all those churches and charities helping less fortunate children, where are they going to get their clothes now??

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Alex Jones covered this story yesterday.

At least that means more people will become aware of it.

As he pointed out, just like *they* are clamping down on people who sell fresh vegetables, milk, etc - *they* are forcing people away from community and self dependence and by law forcing them into the governmental vein to survive.

This is what Stalin did.

So for you people who don’t see the wolf in these sheep's clothes, or lack there of, wake up!

Not to get on a rant about Alex Jones and in interest of space. Jones has the ability to look at the ulterior motive in anything done or said. In reality everyone in any situation is looking for the upper hand. The life span of the average government is around 200 years. There is an element of truth behind the idea that laws of this nature are both physical and mental.

On the one hand lead is dangerous for humans, especially children. On the other hand lead is useful to us unless we have alternatives. Maybe none of you are aware of this but hunters and fishers have fallen under the lens of lead awareness too? In my state it is getting difficult to find items like "lead split shot" that is used as a weight to keep your fishing line under water. Hunters are being forced to use steel shot and other alternatives as well.

I don't know if any of you have ever eaten a "hunted" game bird but many times the tiny pieces of lead shot that are embedded into the bird are simply ingested during the meal. Sometimes we find the shot while chewing and teeth can be broken. When we fish it would not be fishing if we didn't snag our rig every now and again but our sinkers generally get sunk. Lead over time oxidizes and the lead oxide travels into the fish.

It isn't some sort of conspiracy or anything like that when we learned that most wild fish are contaminated with various heavy metals. A problem emerges with the disposal of consumer goods. Much of what we are done with goes to incinerators. If anything in the landfill has lead and then gets incinerated lead oxide is given off.

Here the conundrum appears to be that many people think that lead is no longer problematic for humans but admittedly over generations here in the USA we have gone about weeding it out. No one can deny that smoking is expensive and can cause lung cancer but look around and you will see plenty of people that still light up. They decided that those that didn't choose to smoke should not be forced to smoke simply because they decided to go out to dinner or for a drink. So the smokers go OUTSIDE and do their filthy disgusting behavior.

Here we are advancing society by ensuring that dangerous chemicals and elements that can cause damage to us are reduced, restricted or eliminated from our public consumption. The consumer walks into a store and has no idea that the product he bought contains asbestos. He covers the heating pipes in his basement and later on is diagnosed with mesothelioma. None of you have a problem with the fact that asbestos has been removed from your break pads, water pipes, wall siding, insulation and other items and understand why too.

How many of you know about another insulation and gardening material called "vermiculite"? I had nearly an entire attic full of this stuff fall all over me when I used to do construction. It turns out that vermiculite and Zonolite (a brand of insulation made from vermiculite) had been found to contain asbestos, which had led to cancers such as those found in asbestos related cases.

Good Fin news to me and you if it is in your house. Needless to say here is another product that is a dead end. We know that lead (being a heavy metal) is TOXIC. Then everyone pops on here attempting to justify its use in our children's clothing and cribs of all things. When we import products it is difficult to tell if they contain harmful additives or components. Sure they passed a law just as they were elected to do. Congress Makes Laws... imagine that.

So if you disagree then this law gets added to the NWO or conspiracy legal section. Then you wonder why everyone runs around thinking you are nuts! They didn't BAN CLOTHING. They are getting the lead out. Most of you don't realize that for a long time now most of our clothing is made of FOSSIL FUELS. Dacron, rayon and all of the rest are plastics.

You would not want to breath asbestos dust but don't mind lead oxide? Heck kids put EVERYTHING in their mouths and now maybe we know why so many people are DUMB!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
ANYONE who makes anything at home that MIGHT come into contact with a child MUST submit a sample of that item for testing, and PAY for the test themselves. NO EXCEPTIONS! I have read this law, and it is without a doubt the most blatant case of bureaucratic theft of liberty I have ever seen.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Some answers from the industry.

I managed to talk to my mom about this. For those who didn't read my previous post, she works as a sample tester for children's clothes. Part of her job is to oversee the toxicity levels of the clothes.

So, she has first-hand experience with this and this is what she said:

1. This is an attempt to ensure that products coming into our country--particularly from China--are safe for the consumers.
2. She says that, in that a product makes it to the store shelves and is found to be noncompliant, it is NOT the person who made it that will bear the responsibility, but the company who first imported the product. For example--clothes on X store shelves, that were made by X factory, with fabric purchased from X supplier--it is the supplier that would be in trouble, not the retailer.
3. Fabric yardages will be stamped with a label that says "Not intended for use in childeren's clothes.' Those of you who buy fabric, if you look at the selvage most say "Not intended for use in children's sleepware." This is because of a similar standard system for flamability. Putting the stamp there essentially absolves the maker of the responsibility.

Techinically in this case the responsibility would fall on the producer, but with both of our expereince in the textile and fashion markets, it is highly, highly unlikely that the feds would hunt down the average garage-shop producer. It is simply not worth their time--there are too many and to investigate them all is not cost-effective and virtually impossible.

(Vitrtually the only thing that is prosecuted in the world of handicrafts is the use of copywrited materials. For instance, you can not go to the fabric store and sell something if it is made of fabric with Micky Mouse or Looney Tunes or sports logos on it, unless you arrange to pay royalties. )

3. With her professional experience, she says that this is based much more towards large companies. She also things that it will be amended in time, as it is set up to be diffucult to enforce. That is at least in theory. I tried to pick her brain and ask whether this was how the law was actually written or it was perceived, but she is not one to go for conspiracy theories and I did not get many good answers on that.

I hope that helps everyone.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by prjct
ummmmmmm......the real story is

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

From -

www.cpsc.gov...

Sounds like double speak to me. Out one side of the mouth they're saying you don't have to get them tested. Out the other side they're saying they cannot be sold unless they're tested to show they have less than the limit. Double speak. Unless you get them tested, you cannot sell them.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Shouldn't themanufacturer be making a quality product to begin with? these laws need to be applied and enforced at the top of the food chain.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Get the government off the backs of native americans and other crafts people who sell clothes and toys

Lead is more likely from china..let's boycott China goods if the US is doing this to us!!!!
WWW.ENCHANTED-MERMAID.COM

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I talked to my local childrens second hand store. They have canceled all appointments for buying toys. They said as it is, they know they can continue to sell fisher price toys because they are guarenteed to be lead free. As for everything else, it looks like it will have to go. She said they still didnt know about the clothes yet though. They are just sorting through what they can right now.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It has been extended another year!!

school library journal

Didnt think about the books. That totaly sucks. If they can not get them exempt, then all childrens books on all the libraries shelves will have to be removed for testing.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join