It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chap Stick Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This post comes to you courteous of a very funny site called Lip Balm Anonymous which appears to be an elaborate joke.

Depending on how you care to view it, the Lip Balm Anonymous site is either the forum for a surprisingly large group that shares a common compulsion, or an elaborate joke that’s as dry as a pair of chapped lips and that dozens of people are in on.
“Lip-balm addiction is obviously a very serious problem, so any humorous reading is a very serious misinterpretation of the message,” Crossman said, unable to suppress his own laughter.

The site claims that Chap Stick causes addiction(www.kevdo.com...), and is even a gateway to hardcore drugs. Really funny site, I’ve never seen any post about a Chap Stick conspiracy on ATS, so I thought why not post something in Skunk Works and discuss the topic. I’m sure the site that inspired this post is a joke; however considering Chap Stick to be addicting is an interesting theory. What if you could prove it was? I doubt it would be pulled off the shelves, if people are allowed to indulge in addiction with fatty foods and cigarettes then people should be allowed to keep buying their beloved Chap Stick. Also just about anything can be considered addictive today whether your addiction is sex or an actual person, it all depends on who you are and if you possess a reasonable amount of self-restraint.

A monkey on my lips
For 26 years, I've harbored a craving for this inexpensive substance both day and night, winter, spring, summer and fall. No matter the hour or season, I need my Chap Stick
David Eisnaugle
Atlanta Constitution. Sunday, February 4, 1996. Page: H/5
With my head hung low and lips aquiver, I must confess to a long- standing addiction: I crave an intoxicating combination of petrolatums, padimate O, lanolin, isopropyl myristate and cetyl alcohol to get me through my days and nights. Combine these chemicals and you get a substance that medical journals refer to as lippus balmease. I'm talking about Chap Stick.

"Another Tale Of Personal Courage"
by Jon Carroll
Reprinted from the April 22, 1997 issue of the San Francisco Chronicle by permission
THIS STORY HAPPENED in Egypt, but it could have happened in Your Town, U.S.A. The participants were third-tier media celebrities and a glamorous international circus star, but it could have been just ordinary lumpy people like you and your friend Ed.
Addiction knows no name, no country, no special waiting areas in Third World airports. Addiction can happen to men and women and writers alike. Addiction is no respecter of class, money, wit, style, fabulous long swooping scarves or the ability to catch oneself by one's heels while swinging 20 feet in the air.
It's a terrible thing, addiction. We weep.
It was my younger daughter who broke through the cycle of denial. She started an intervention, although at the time it sounded like a peevish comment. We were all sitting on a low wall in Luxor. We were supposed to meet someone who was not meeting us.
``You use way too much Chapstick,'' she said to my wife, Tracy Johnston, noted travel writer.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Just the title of this thread had me laughing out loud.

In all seriousness though, I know quite a few people who i believed were addicted to chapstick before i heard of this type of "addiction"

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I absolutely believe this! LOL

I buy mass amounts of chapstick and always have it on me. And now my daughter is addicted too.

I can not live without it. You will always see me putting it on! Seriously.
I should own stock in Burt's Bee

Some say its because it prevents your lips from producing natural moisture. Eh, dont know, but I cant live without it!! At least my lips are always nice and soft

However, I do not believe it is a gateway to drugs
Ive never done drugs and dont plan on it!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I was just thinking about doing research and posting on this very subject the other day. I have been addicted to chap stick now for a long time. I also know other people that have the same problem. I think that I started using it so much that I got dependent on it, and my lips stopped moistening themselves after ahwile. I always need have a tube of it in my pocket, if I don't have it my lips feel like they start drying out. I am very curious to see how many other people have this problem and what the actual cause might be. We were at whole foods the other day and my wife bought some organic chap stic, so I might try that and see if I am less dependent on it.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I used to have to use chapstick constantly until I finally discovered that I have an allergy to a common chapstick ingredient. I now occasionally use Burt's Bees and have been chap free for years.

new topics

top topics

join