It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Belief Isn't That Different for Atheists or Religious People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

When we hear or use the words "belief" and "believe," we tend to jump to the top of the chain of complexity. The home of grand cathedrals, ornate mosques, colorful rituals and long, sacred texts.

However, belief, as a psychological mechanism, is much simpler.

We need to make decisions in order to act. To make decisions, we seek information. Food/not food. Safe/dangerous. Easy/hard. Friend/foe. Pretty drapes that go with our color scheme/ugly ones that don’t.

We never know 100 percent about anything. There’s always an information gap between ourselves and certainty. When we get into a car, we don’t "know" that a tire won’t blow, that a speeding garbage truck won’t sideswipe us, that the bridge across the river won’t fail. But we can’t afford the time and energy and effort that it would take to get all that knowledge. If, in reality, it is all getable. Yet, we still need to get to the elementary school to pick up our children. To the office, to the grocery. To the water hole where the game might be.

We have a psychological mechanism that bridges the gap between the knowledge we don’t have and the need to feel certain enough to act: belief.

You believe the car will work. And that your driving ability is sufficient to cope with the trials and tribulations that stand between you and Nancy Reagan Elementary School, where -- you believe -- your 7-year-old will soon be ready for pickup.

We "believe" in thousands, millions, of things, every day. Belief is a standard, normal, useful and necessary function of our minds.

Belief in Things That Are False

The sun rises. The sun sets. Except, of course, that it doesn’t. For most of human history, people didn’t know it was an illusion.

The earth is flat: If you sail too far, you’ll fall of the edge.

Continued Here

Must Read very interesting in my opinion post thoughts ....

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is exactly why THIS THREAD is total bunk, but good luck explaining that most of the geniuses involved in it.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

haha very good point i had not read the thread you posted as i have not been on very often lately ... thank you for posting the link you have a good point this should be read by all those people making the claims made in the thread ... or supported the ideas ...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think we can survive with or without religion. I don't think it needs to end but it sure could tone down. I believe the survival of mankind is based on one thing; responsibility. I mean personal responsibility.

Don't just do whatever you want and judge others thinking your god will save you in the end.

Don't just sit and think you have all the answers because you don't believe in a deity and think you're above the law.

We're all good and we're all bad. Time to ante up and be responsible for ourselves.

We love to blame someone or something else for everything.

Last year I got myself a good 20 pounds overweight. Is it the foods fault? Hell no. It's my fault for not putting down the fork so much.

Tomorrow I play Grand Theft Auto and kill 20 people. Is it the video game's fault? No, I know the difference between right and wrong.

Nice post OP

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
kyo, you're missing the point.
it's basically saying that even if you're an atheist, you're still locked into a belief system.

therefor a world without religion can NEVER BE.

see what i mean?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
kyo, you're missing the point.
it's basically saying that even if you're an atheist, you're still locked into a belief system.

therefor a world without religion can NEVER BE.

see what i mean?

Hmm yes rather bias propaganda.

People being kind and treating each other the same.
Thats all thats needed.

No need for divisive religious cults or deluded supremacists.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
A word without religion can never exist?

I mean I guess I get what you are steering towards but, and correct me if I am wrong, are you saying athiesm is tinted by religion?

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I'm saying atheism is still a belief system and therefor a religion. If you attempt to remove religion from society it will simply be replaced by another belief system. Thus it can never be done. Even believing that none of this is real, still a belief system...there's no way around it.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
I'm saying atheism is still a belief system and therefor a religion. If you attempt to remove religion from society it will simply be replaced by another belief system. Thus it can never be done. Even believing that none of this is real, still a belief system...there's no way around it.

I don't beleive atheism is a religion,its an absence (or lack of) religion.

I don't consider myself one but this author makes some good points about other popular misconceptions about atheism:
blog.vshoward.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I have tried to point this out before. That atheists have faith. Just not in the same things theists have faith in.

Atheism is not a religion, however. (bear with me) A religion depends on a common set of beliefs. The only thing all atheists believe in common is that there isn't a God. Other than that, they, as a whole, have nothing in common. There are "sects" of atheists who, sadly, have turned their beliefs into a religion, however. They meet weekly and talk about their common beliefs. They even proselytize. This is unfortunate and embarrassing to me. It's like an extremist faction. But please don't judge all atheists by them.

Saying atheism is a religion is like saying bald is a hair color, when it's an absence of hair. Atheism is an absence of a belief in a deity.

Individual atheists have belief systems, though. I believe my husband is faithful, that my dog will protect me, that human beings are MORE than the physical body we see, that we are all connected, that death is nothing to fear. I even believe in existence after death. I believe and have faith in all of these things and more. But I do not believe there is a "God".

But the title of this thread is accurate. Belief isn't that different between atheists and religious people. We all believe in things that cannot be (or are not) proven.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
according to dictionary.com atheism seems to fall under multiple definitions of the word religion. But thats not really whats important here, whether or not it is seen as "religion" is not the point. It serves the same basic function. Whether or not you believe god exists or that god doesn't exist, you're still adhering to a belief system and this is my point. It's really the same thing, the involvement of God is nothing more than a detail.

new topics

top topics

join