It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richardson to withdraw bid for Obama cabinet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Richardson to withdraw bid for Obama cabinet

rawstory.com

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, tapped in December by President-elect Barack Obama to serve as secretary of Commerce, withdrew his bid because of an federal investigation into his political activities.

"Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact," he said Sunday in a report by NBC News' Andrea Mitchell. "But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process."

A federal grand jury is investigating how a company that contributed to Richardson won a lucrative New Mexico state contract.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I just wanted to tell ATS about this because I'm surprised that Bill Richardson may have had shady business dealings or needs an investigation about his record. Why didn't this come up before? I'm a little surprised that he wasn't investigated earlier... but who will replace Richardson?

I think it's kind of sad that he has to go. Is anyone else? It just seems rather odd.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I don't have any details on this investigation, but anyone who knows anything about Richardson or New Mexico politics will not be surprised by this investigation.

From what I read, this investigation has been ongoing and to date has not been considered important enough to keep Richardson from consideration for a cabinet position. However, now that Illinois, Obama's stomping grounds, is embroiled in the current controversy regarding their governor and financial impropriety, more caution needs to be rendered regarding Richardson and his activities.

New Mexico doesn't need anymore bad press, so I hope it all works out well, but seriously, this should surprise no one.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Oh, bummer!

I knew about the investigation, but I also think Richardson is innocent of any wrongdoing. Don't you, Grady?

This is sad. Richardson rocks. Good news is he'll still be our Governor.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Bill Richardson Under Investigation in Pay-For-Play Probe

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

New Mexico’s Gov. Bill Richardson, who is the newly named Secretary of Commerce in Obama’s about-to-be Cabinet, is also being investigated by a federal grand jury in his home state for possibly steering state bond business from the New Mexico Financial Authority toward David Rubin, a significant campaign contributor, according to an NBC News report, among others.

NBC’s Lisa Myers reports that two former state officials say they’ve recently been questioned by a federal grand jury specifically about allegations that Richardson or aides pushed state business worth nearly $1.5 million in fees toward CDR Financial Products in 2004. The company is headquartered in Beverly Hills.

Amazing, i already knew about this, but blago seemed to over shadow this story.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I just learned of this and am shocked and saddened as well. I like Richardson. I'm becoming jaded with the disappointment from politicians. Example: Edwards, Clinton, McCain... and now possibly Richardson. Anyway hope he comes out clean, but you would think if he was he would stick it out. Maybe he just doesn't want to sour the beginning of Obama's first term. ??

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Perhaps no governor has rewarded so many supporters with so much.

www.abqjournal.com.../upf

Five years ago, just eight of Gov. Bill Richardson's political appointees made more than $100,000 a year. Today, more than 100 earn at least that much.

Also up under Richardson: the number of gubernatorial political appointees, formally known as exempt employees.

In his first 15 months in office, the number of appointees scattered throughout government grew from 167 to 307. Today, there are 468 gubernatorial appointees in exempt positions.

That growth in the patronage, or spoils, system of state government is one of the legacies of Richardson as he prepares to vacate the Governor's Mansion for a slot in Barack Obama's Cabinet.

Richardson's top-paid appointee is State Investment Officer Gary Bland, the man in charge of the state's multibillion-dollar permanent, or trust, funds.

Bland's annual salary was $307,199 as of September, up 37 percent from $225,000 in December 2003.

Those at the lower end of government's food chain haven't fared as well under Richardson.

The average salary of a state classified — or nonpolitical — employee was $38,820 in July 2007, up 19 percent from Richardson's first year in office.

The list of political appointees making more than $100,000 a year is dominated by agency heads and other top government managers, but it also includes Richardson's chief scheduler ($133,120) and the assistant to first lady Barbara Richardson ($107,519). The scheduler earns more than Richardson ($110,000) and at least 12 Cabinet secretaries.

The figures in this column are based on data on exempt employees provided by the Department of Finance and Administration.

(Excerpt) Read more at abqjournal.com ...

GEEEE the more things "CHANGE" the more they stay the same!!!!!!!

www.rlcil.org...

[edit on 043131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I knew about the investigation, but I also think Richardson is innocent of any wrongdoing. Don't you, Grady?

I don't know anything about this case, but it is my opinion that Richardson is a dirty politician.

I hope it's nothing for the sake of the state.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by anyone
I just learned of this and am shocked and saddened as well. I like Richardson. I'm becoming jaded with the disappointment from politicians. Example: Edwards, Clinton, McCain... and now possibly Richardson. Anyway hope he comes out clean, but you would think if he was he would stick it out. Maybe he just doesn't want to sour the beginning of Obama's first term. ??

I think it is already to late to get rid of the taste in my mouth.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
So long to one the only pro-gun voices we would have had in Obamas house.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Please, stay on topic.

Anyhow, I feel this is bad because we should have done the investigation earlier, when, it wouldn't be as much of a surprise to us.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
thisguyrighthere is on topic.

Richardson's record is vitally germane to his position in the administration.

Richardson has always been a Second Amendment advocate and it is the only thing about him that I can say that I like.

I suspect his motives, but the bottom line is that he has supported the Second Amendment.

I recall his waffling a bit on the issue during the campaign, but his voting record is clear.

[edit on 2009/1/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
My God.. Each Democrat Administration gets more brazen than the last.

How many scandals now and they haven't even started.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VinceP1974

Two?

I guess that's a lot of you can only count to three.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Obama will be the only original member left in his cabinet by inaugeration day if this amazing information keeps it up. Seems every single politician is corrupt no matter which side, which is why it makes me laugh that people defend the guy and say that hes innocent *like in the posts above* but they forget the fact that hes a politician and is paid to lie to you.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
haha, I fail at using the search function anywho, here's the info I managed to find on this event.
NPR

Timeline preceding withdrawal

I'm still looking up information on this I'll post here if I find anything new

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
and then there were three???

A donor’s gift soon followed Clinton’s help
$100,000 donation highlights ethics issues with links to foundations

www.msnbc.msn.com...

WASHINGTON - An upstate New York developer donated $100,000 to former President Bill Clinton’s foundation in November 2004, around the same time that Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton helped secure millions of dollars in federal assistance for the businessman’s mall project.

Mrs. Clinton helped enact legislation allowing the developer, Robert J. Congel, to use tax-exempt bonds to help finance the construction of the Destiny USA entertainment and shopping complex, an expansion of the Carousel Center in Syracuse.

Not the Hillary,Blago, Richardson,Wright, fill in the blanks, I knew.

'Thousands of phone calls' on feds' wiretaps
www.suntimes.com...

[edit on 103131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

So that's three scandals related to Democrats. None of it will stick to Obama. Should we use this thread to name every scandal that involves a Republican?

There will always be people ready to dig the dirt on any president. It would be very surprising if there were not. Save your malicious glee for something of real substance.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
and then there were three???

A donor’s gift soon followed Clinton’s help
$100,000 donation highlights ethics issues with links to foundations

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Not the Hillary,Blago, Richardson,Wright, fill in the blanks, I knew.

'Thousands of phone calls' on feds' wiretaps
www.suntimes.com...

[edit on 103131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

How about all the foreign donations to Obama's campaign, and how Obama's website had the credit card anti-fraud measures deactivated so tht anyone could donate just using the numbers without having to verify name or address

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Richardson et. al. are guilty as hell. The only surprise is that they are finally being investigated. Anyone remember Jim Trafficant, the Rep. from the Youngstown, Oh. area? He was up to no good and knee deep in the mob for ages and finally got caught a couple of years ago.

The circle of corrupt politics continues with Richardson. He is withdrawing to save face. If he is truly innocent he should fear nothing and continue to serve his President.

The only solution to this BS beyond complete campaign finance and earmark reform is the enactment of strict term limits (Bill was in the House for 14 years prior to his Clinton era appointments) in the House and Senate. The longer these whizbangs sit in office the more susceptible they become to corruption and undo influence.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by jibeho]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join