It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A polar survival expert fears...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A Polar survival expert fears he has been brainwashed by US spooks after stumbling on a top secret nuclear dump.

Jimmy "The Snowman" Campbell, accuses the CIA of wiping his memory after he wandered into the restricted area in Antarctica.

He claims the agency gave him brainwashing drugs which turned him into a shambling wreck plagued by mental health problems.

Now Jimmy's story is to be told in a TV documentary after his daughter Juliet Lamont vowed to reveal the truth more than 30 years on.

Jimmy, 64 - who comes from Croftfoot, Glasgow, but now lives in Australia - was nicknamed The Snowman because of his love of winter sports.

The engineer emigrated to New Zealand then Australia with his teacher wife Frances and their children Juliet and Sean.

Film-maker Juliet said: "Life was perfect. Dad was a brilliant skier and an avid mountain climber. He had a hunger for adventure.

"Our family moved between Scotland, Australia and New Zealand to follow the ski season.

"We'd buy an old camper van, stay in caravan parks and live out of backpacks, and dad would work the ski fields."

In 1978, Jimmy beat hundreds of other candidates to land a job with Operation Deep Freeze, training astronauts while his family stayed in Australia.

Juliet said: "I'd think of my hero dad doing his important job there, braving the winds, the cold and the isolation.

"I would boast to my friends that he was an explorer on a dangerous expedition."

But when Jimmy returned home three months later he had changed. When his family asked what happened he refused to tell them, saying it was "too dangerous".

Juliet, 37, said: "We went to meet him. He didn't look right. There was something different about his eyes and he was agitated. Paranoid. He kept saying, 'No, I can't tell you what happened. You'll be in danger'."

But slowly his story unfolded. Juliet said: "Growing up, I was convinced he'd been messed with. He said he entered a restricted area and had come across something he shouldn't have - an illegal nuclear dump.

"He was caught and claimed the CIA gave him a chemical lobotomy."

The family returned to Scotland but Jimmy's behaviour became worse. He said the phone was tapped and he was being followed by the CIA.

The intelligence agency categorically deny all Jimmy's claims but Juliet said: "He would spend hours in a dark room, mumbling and scrawling codes over the wall.

"Mother tried to keep the family together, teaching in Nairn and Forres. But in 1982 she just could not take it any more.

"Dad travelled back to Australia and lived for a while in the bush. Then he moved around living in Salvation Army homes. He'd sleep rough and clean ashtrays in pubs for beer. He said the whole story was in a safe deposit box and he'd given the key to a friend called Hamish." Juliet traced Hamish in the Highlands but he knew nothing of the box.

Mum-of-two Juliet, who lives in Australia, admits her father may have suffered mental health problems but she is determined to get to the truth.

She has banged on doors at the CIA and NASA during her emotional two-year quest. She said: "My father operates on the outer edge of normality but he is a man of great charm and functionality.

"He even joked that if the documentary is a success I can buy him a beer. I'll do that anyway."

'He said phone was tapped and he was being followed'

Source

Sounds Interesting! What do you think?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Nobody find this Interesting? Am sure i have heard Operation Deep Freeze before!

The paper where this artical comes from aint the best source!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm interested!

Wouldn't surprise me if radioactive waste was being dumped there & very little surprises me about the CIA. They don't seem to abide by any laws.

I agree it's a shame about the source, can't find any more information on the Google. Perhaps someone here can expand on the article or verify it?

EDIT:

If the article is accurate America would be in violation of the Antarctic Treaty System, which they signed.

Antarctic Treaty System Wiki link

The Antarctic Treaty and related agreements, collectively called the Antarctic Treaty System or ATS, regulate international relations with respect to Antarctica, Earth's only continent without a native human population. For the purposes of the treaty system, Antarctica is defined as all land and ice shelves south of 60°S latitude parallel. The treaty has now been signed by 46 countries, including the now-defunct Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States, and set aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, established freedom of scientific investigation and banned military activity on that continent. This was the first arms control agreement established during the Cold War.

Article 5 - prohibits nuclear explosions or disposal of radioactive wastes;

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Fillet ask a]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Fillet ask a

If the article is accurate America would be in violation of the Antarctic Treaty System, which they signed.

and it wouldn't be the first time that USA violate something! Especially if CIA is involved in...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Interesting story... But it does beg the question 'why did the CIA not just bump him off?' I mean it can't be all that hard to loose a body in the antartic - espically when your already successfully hiding nukes!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am not buying this story because there are stations from other countries down there besides just the US, and they all monitor what the others are doing. Its not that large of a community, and they would all be aware of something like this if it were happening. Absolutely anyone can sign up to do a tour, as long as you can pass the physical and fill a job slot, so I find it hard to believe the CIA was doing something secret that no one else has ever said a word about. More likely he had a mental breakdown due to the isolation, and the later paranoia was a result of this. Now if you do a winter term for someone like Raytheon Polar Services, you have to pass both a high level physical and psychological evaluation before being considered.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxit
reply to post by Fillet ask a

and it wouldn't be the first time that USA violate something! Especially if CIA is involved in...

I think taking radioactive waste to Antarctica to dump it is a bit of
a waste of time as we have plenty of nuclear waste dumps right here
in the USA, mostly in old salt mines.

Salt mines in at least three states used for nuke waste

I am pretty sure it is more than three, but they are not real big
on publishing where they are for various reasons.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
That's a very good point & makes me feel the article in question is not true.

Imagine the costs & logistics involved in dumping radioactive waste in Antarctica when you have plenty of room on your home turf.

top topics

join