It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BART (Cop) Shooting: Family Creating Memorial At BART

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
SHOOTING: Family Creating Memorial At BART

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The friends and family of Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old man fatally shot by Bay Area Rapid Transit police at the Fruitvale station Thursday evening, are creating a memorial for Grant Saturday evening in front of the Fruitvale station.

Heres another Police shooting. Yes its a transit cop but none the less there were 3 (BART) Cops holding this guy down, one looks like hes going for his cuffs but ends up pulling out his gun and shoots the guy in the back face down killing him.

Not sure how many of the videos are posted in the link but the video I saw on tv was pretty damning.

Edit:
Heres a link to the video of the story with the video I saw.
Link to Video Story

[edit on 4-1-2009 by ATruGod]

[edit on 4-1-2009 by ATruGod]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
and people wonder why we hate cops and have a total mistrust

also,,, airing this is a form of intimidation,, as well as informing us,,,, training others to subdue and fear police

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
god,,, it just hit me,,,, that kid's life is over,, kaput,, done,, nevre again,,, that is scary and sad,,, and that could be any of us

he did nothing that wrong,,, or bad,,, and the police surely had control of the situation,,, or at least had little chance of loosing control

ok so this kid squirmed,,,,i can imagine maybe they were leaning on him hard or twisting his arm etc,,, and in pain he reacted,, as most would
so at the least he squirmed

this kid lost his life over squirming

how sick is that,,, how unfair,,, how--- god i can't even put it into words

and i'm no, new age,,, love seeking pacifist

but come on,,,, that life is over,,,, to be never again,,, this may be all there is,,,,and to be KILLED over that

we live in a screwed up world

DAMN!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
A sad situation for sure, and totally unecessary to have to use deadly force...they have clubs they could have used, or simply dog pile on the guy, not any reason there to have to use a gun and shoot the guy in the back killing him.

Im sure this will be a heavily debated on in court.

Im not so sure anymore that cops are trained in the proper manner, and to jump to conclusions and not use restraint when it comes to using deadly force. That kid was in no way any threat to them.

Hope the family wins the case and sues the hell out of that police department, the cop who pulled the trigger, and the city and get a huge settlement, and the cop brought up on wrongfull death charges.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Has the possibility of the oficer accidentaly pulling the trigger cross any minds? Now I know here comes the "why did he pull his gun in the first place"? question, well for that I don't have a naswer but if felt drawing his weapon was waranted then his reasons will come to light eventually. Cops kill criminals all the time in defence, the victim could have avoided the outcome by fully and I mean fully, do I have to say it again? FULLY! cooperating with the police.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
In the video, it seems that the kid was against the wall, then pulled down to the ground. Obviously they were going to cuff him at that point. But what was it that the kid was doing while on the ground, face down that was such a threat to the officer to pull the gun out and shoot the kid in the back when there were..what appears to be, at least 2 officers on top of the guy?

I dont know but to me it seems like the kid was in no position to be of any sort of threat to warrant the cop pulling out the gun. What could have the kid been doing to be of a threat lying face down with at least 2 other cops on top of him?

It will be an interesting case to follow up on for sure.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Well as the video is not perfect and we can't see everything, there might be some factors we cannot see such as, kid going for a weapon? weapon present? threats of going for a weapon? also is sometimes nescessary for oficers to move to that level of readiness during a restraint most times the oficer located closest to the head of the suspect being restrained will draw his weapon.

We don't fully see the close up of the incident and aren't able to hear all of the conversations that took place so we don't know if the suspect was threatning the oficers or what, I can assure you the best way to have a police oficer draw his weapon on you is by being uncooprative and the use of threats, IMO this is what took place here and is very common.

People that don't do what an oficer(s) asking are putting their life at risk, any officer current or past will tell you that anybody at any time could produce a weapon and kill you. Officer saftey involves making split second decissions sometimes and thats what the officer in question did my heart goes out to him.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Cops aren't trained worth a # anymore. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol strongly emphasizes H2H/Combatives and guess what, they have fewer officer involved shootings.
I taught defensive tactics to EMS crews and had a few local cops show up. The untrained EMTs, Paramedics, and firefighters faired better in all out scenarios with pads and gear.
I also train in BJJ and MMA with a couple of cops. I've had several of them say they would just go for their gun than waste time fighting a guy like myself. I am 6'5'' 270. And yes, there are scenarios where an unarmed opponent should be shot, but from what I viewed of this incident, I think this was negligent homicide. IMHO.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by RFBurns

Well as the video is not perfect and we can't see everything, there might be some factors we cannot see such as, kid going for a weapon? weapon present? threats of going for a weapon? also is sometimes nescessary for oficers to move to that level of readiness during a restraint most times the oficer located closest to the head of the suspect being restrained will draw his weapon.

We don't fully see the close up of the incident and aren't able to hear all of the conversations that took place so we don't know if the suspect was threatning the oficers or what, I can assure you the best way to have a police oficer draw his weapon on you is by being uncooprative and the use of threats, IMO this is what took place here and is very common.

People that don't do what an oficer(s) asking are putting their life at risk, any officer current or past will tell you that anybody at any time could produce a weapon and kill you. Officer saftey involves making split second decissions sometimes and thats what the officer in question did my heart goes out to him.

are you or some family mbr a cop----i mean come on-----that video doesn't lie--

you give me one reason why that kid should be dead??????

geez!!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Actually in the other video, that doesnt actually show the shooting, The guy is against the wall begging to not be shot or tasered because he has a baby.

The witnesses said the cop said "Oh my God" like it was an accident. But come on there were 2 other cops on the guy there didnt appear to be a reason for him to have to pull his gun.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Sad and sickening.

To who ever said maybe he accidentally pulled the trigger, I bet it was more like he forgot he wasn't playing a video game. I think it is pretty normal to only pull your side arm and aim it if the use of deadly force is necessary for the protection of others or yourself and if its pulled "just in case" the finger does not go on the trigger until you are certain that it is the last option available to stop the threat. My 9 year old knows that.

WTF? Was he going for his tazer and got confused?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This man is a 21st Century Crispus Attucks!
Heck, even a lot of people on more "ethnically" centered sites are raging about this! People that even consider African Americans the "enemy" (not endorsing this belief) are in a rage about this blatant homicide!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
funny ,, we talked off this on the 4th,,,

CNN,,, our great msm is just now airing this story at 2:46 pm on 1/6 and at least they did say it's an outrage,,,, and police have some explaining to do!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I've been beating three times by cops for basically nothing. They lie and the system backs them up. They cant be trusted. What a great system. Just think, the poor guy who got shot could have been any one of us. I hope they fry the cop and the family rakes the system over the coals in court It is so f'n sad....

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

You are an idiot. Who are you to say he wasn't cooperating fully.

If this happened 15 years ago those cops would have placed a gun in the hand of the victim and drugs in his pocket.

BART Police Chief Gary Gee said it was an "accident." What part of this assassination was an accident?
Deciding the use of a gun was necessary when the suspect was face down on the ground?
Reaching for the gun?
Unbuckling the gun from the holster?
Pulling the gun from the holster?
Inactivating the safety mechanism on the gun?
Pointing the gun at the back of the victim?
Pulling the trigger?

That's like saying someone accidentally took a shower.

This is what happens when you give power to the weakest members of society; those with a low I.Q. and unresolved childhood issues of control. Instead of therapy they are given a gun and a badge to hide behind. Considering the educational requirements to be a cop is a GED -Good Enough Degree- maybe we shouldn't be surprised, caveat emptor. Not to mention this rookie cop was on the job for 2 years. So what you have is an angry 20-something-year-old uneducated kid whose been empowered with a gun and hides behind a badge and is now working through is mental problems one bullet at a time.

The only thing left is the cover up and if the past is any indication of the future they will do an excellent job at hiding the truth.

God bless the police for they are not just above the law, they are the law.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My heart aches for this young man. My heart aches.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Because he put himself in that position to begin with by doing something that warranted his arrest and then, apparently, attempting to resist.
Not saying that as an excuse for him being killed and im certainly not supporting cops.
Ive been talking about the growing number of police brutality issues on this site for a couple of years and there was no excuse for this.

Anyway, like i said, he most likely put himself in a position that attracted the cops attention, which means he was probably doing something illegal.
When you do something illegal that attracts men that carry guns and are in an authoritative position then the chances something going wrong jump exponentially.
The idiots in the background only made things worse by egging the situation on with their screaming and taunting.
In any case, regardless of whether this was an accident or not, this cop will go down, his career and his life are done.

One thing i dont get though. How many videos of cops just hitting a handcuffed suspect have made national headlines? This is a much worse situation yet I havent heard anything at all about this, I would have not known about this if i hadnt of read it here.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s

Because he put himself in that position to begin with by doing something that warranted his arrest and then, apparently, attempting to resist.
Not saying that as an excuse for him being killed and im certainly not supporting cops.
Ive been talking about the growing number of police brutality issues on this site for a couple of years and there was no excuse for this.

Anyway, like i said, he most likely put himself in a position that attracted the cops attention, which means he was probably doing something illegal.
When you do something illegal that attracts men that carry guns and are in an authoritative position then the chances something going wrong jump exponentially.
The idiots in the background only made things worse by egging the situation on with their screaming and taunting.
In any case, regardless of whether this was an accident or not, this cop will go down, his career and his life are done.

One thing i dont get though. How many videos of cops just hitting a handcuffed suspect have made national headlines? This is a much worse situation yet I havent heard anything at all about this, I would have not known about this if i hadnt of read it here.

well,,, it could have very well been someone else in the group who did whatever started this,,, and for being with them he got caught up in it

we are getting dumbed down and lazy,,,, remember the LA riots

well,,, when i saw this i thought this almost warrants that type of response
granted theft,, people hurt ,,, injured in that but it let people ,, or gov't know this was absolutely unacceptable

ps---did u see rodney king on that celeb rehab show---caught a few episodes

seems like the nicest down to earth guy

new topics

top topics

join