It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe backs IDF incursion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Europe backs IDF incursion

www.ynetnews.com

European Union president, the Czech Republic, said on Saturday an Israeli ground incursion in Gaza was "defensive, not offensive" action.

"At the moment, from the perspective of the last days, we understand this step as a defensive, not offensive, action," Czech EU presidency spokesman Jiri Potuznik said.

Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg is leading an EU delegation to the region on Sunday, and Potuznik said the presidency will wait to see the results of that visit
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I haven't seen this reported in the mainstream media yet, but it would seem to me a pretty big deal if the EU is supporting Israeli operations.

Globally there is not much support for Hamas. Not a single Arab government has defended Hamas. Only Persian Iran and its proxy Hezbollah have voiced open support for Hamas.

Behind closed doors of many governments, especially of Fatah, I would not be surprised if there is rooting going on for the IDF to wipe out Hamas.

www.ynetnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

This makes me really furious. Schwarzenberg is Jewish, so I guess you are a little less surprised about this now. Moreover, this is not the opinion of the entire EU. Czech Republic should speak for itself. Sarkozy, who has been the best president the EU has had since a long time, condemned the Israeli collective punishment.

These people should understand that they can only speak for the EU if the entire EU agrees with the standpoint. It's not that one week the EU condemns it while it supports the incursion the next week.

Ive lived in Prague and I can only say one thing about the politicians: they form through puppets of the US and thus Israel.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yes this is not the view of UK or France just the bigoted thoughts of a new EU presidency the Czech one, OK not all of Europe thinks this just to be clear.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

so if he condemned Israel you would say the same thing that he doesn't speak for the e.u. ?...lets face facts here hamas has to be wiped out and if they use women and children to hide behind then its hamas fault if they get killed...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Don't get annoyed, he was speaking for himself on the basis of what Israel told him. A policy statement by the EU can only be made under Directive 163 after an investigation. Each EU government has an independent foreign policy. The OP is hyping the story, most government officials want to have nothing to do with this Holocaust.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
it would seem to me a pretty big deal if the EU is supporting Israeli operations.

Absolutely. Considering how the EU usually comes down AGAINST Israel for nearly everything they do or say. For them to support this defensive operation that Israel has undertaken is very different from what they usually do.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by orgyofthedead
Yes this is not the view of UK or France just the bigoted thoughts of a new EU presidency the Czech one, OK not all of Europe thinks this just to be clear.

How dare the Czech president not defend the bigoted and genocidal HAMAS!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

They are not even behind closed doors saying they want Hamas out. The Arab League said it last Monday or Tuesday and said this was Hamas doing and the Arab League won't mess with it. They will of course scream about Israel, it is their favorite pastime when not trading Slaves in Saudi Arabia, but none the less they will not act against Israel.

The whole of the civilized world and many of the uncivilized world have voiced support for Israel's Right to do this Defensive operation. They have all stated that Israel should be precise as it can to avoid civilian casualties. Of course in an urban population of 1.5 million, precise is hard to get, and everyone knows that too...

Iran won't move against Israel in this thing, not while Bush/Cheney are in office they won't. They know that US would probably hit them as well as Israel itself. Iran is gonna lay as low as possible until Bush/Cheney leaves in my opinion they can not risk those putz's having a reason to attack them before they leave..

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I really wonder about the sanity of people who defend HAMAS.

HAMAS is a branch of Muslim Brotherhood, as is Al Qaeda, and a few groups here in the US (like CAIR)

The Muslim Brotherhood's ultimate goal is a world under the domination of Muslims and all world-wide law is Sharia law.

This is what Israel is fighting in Gaza.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
reply to post by Mdv2

so if he condemned Israel you would say the same thing that he doesn't speak for the e.u. ?

Yes. And now, I don't care about your personal opinion on this conflict nor is it relevant to this thread.

Edit, I might add that Sarkozy also rightfully condemned Hamas. So cut the crap okay?

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ahem, this is quite clearly spin meant for home consumption in Israel, seeing as YNET is a Jewish outlet.

The EU has not given any support for the Israeli's incursion whatsoever and is unlikely too.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Britain and France both have significant figures, who have family history that will emotional effect Israel.

The British Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, is a son of a Polish Jew. His family was split up by the Nazi incursions into the Western Front. President Sarkozy is a Hungarian Jew - his family had all their possessions confiscated by the Nazi's.

From my understanding, the Holocaust card is being used by France and Britain to end the escalation of violence in Gaza.

However, the Czech President is extremely Pro-American. After all, the missile defence shield is being built in the Czech Republic.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Britain and France both have significant figures, who have family history that will emotional effect Israel.

The British Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, is a son of a Polish Jew. His family was split up by the Nazi incursions into the Western Front. President Sarkozy is a Hungarian Jew - his family had all their possessions confiscated by the Nazi's.

From my understanding, the Holocaust card is being used by France and Britain to end the escalation of violence in Gaza.

However, the Czech President is extremely Pro-American. After all, the missile defence shield is being built in the Czech Republic.

I might add that Sarkozy is halve Jewish, yet he's objective, in some people's opinion perceived as biased towards Palestine. You are either with Israel or you are with the terrorists, right?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by VinceP1974

Look, im not saying were pro Hamas or anti Jewish, get that right. Both sides are a pair of tits.

Just that a new EU president doesnt speak for the whole of Europe and as soon as he said that the UK and France were angry they dont agree with what he said. Calling it a defensive action is plain wrong its offensive. And the guy doesnt even like the EU if you look into his past hes very anti EU (wont even fly the flag) so that is why hes a bigot. OK mate.

SR

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by orgyofthedead

Originally posted by VinceP1974

Look, im not saying were pro Hamas or anti Jewish, get that right. Both sides are a pair of tits.

Just that a new EU president doesnt speak for the whole of Europe and as soon as he said that the UK and France were angry they dont agree with what he said. Calling it a defensive action is plain wrong its offensive. And the guy doesnt even like the EU if you look into his past hes very anti EU (wont even fly the flag) so that is why hes a bigot. OK mate.

It's a good thing that the president of the EU doesn't blindly love the EU it means he'll be more objective of it's powers and intrusions in the dictacts it creates.

Instead of someone who will blindly pander to the EU's wills no matter the cost to member countries.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

So he blindly makes a statement on behalf of Europe, that two of its major counties doesnt agree on. Im sorry but i dont think that is a good thing.

I agree with you no one should pander to anyone, everyone should have its own opinion, but if the individual EU counties dont share the same view then he should not be making the statement.

SR

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yeah i agree with you there he has made a big gaffe by making this statement on behalf of the EU.

He is an experienced politician as well i mean i would expect a less experienced leader like Obama to make a mistake like this.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by SR]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

Yeah man i think it was a big gaf too. I do agree with you that he should have his own opinion and make statements on things internally in Europe but when you make statements on foreign matters then the whole EU has to agree as one. Otherwise whats the point, it makes the EU look weak and doesnt communicate properly. (which it might well be) Thats also why i dont like the idea someone who is anti EU holding the presidency. We have to work together not fight each other.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Here is why this is a defensive action:

Rocket Statistics
* Today, over 950,000 Israelis live within range of rocket and mortar attacks.
* There have been approximately 7,200 rockets (Grads, Qassams) and mortars launched at Israel since 2005.
* During 2008, there have been 1755 mortars shells, 1720 Qassams rockets, and 75 Grad missiles launched at Israel.
* Since Hamas’ election there has been a steady increase of these rocket attacks against Israel’s citizens:
* Between Israel’s evacuation of Gaza and the election of Hamas (Aug. 15, 2005 – Jan. 25, 2006), there was an average of over 15 rocket and mortar attacks a month.
* Between Hamas’ election and Hamas’ forceful takeover of the Strip (Jan. 25, 2006 – June 14, 2007), there was an average of over 102 attacks per month—an over 650% increase.
* Between Hamas’ takeover and the start of the Tahadiya (State of Calm), (June 14, 2007 – June 16, 2008), there was an average of over 361 attacks per month—an increase of an additional 350%.
* On Nov. 4 – 5, Israel launched Operation “Double Challenge”, targeting a tunnel Hamas was building as part of a plan to kidnap Israeli soldiers.
* From the end of Operation “Double Challenge” until the end of the Tahadiya, (Nov. 4 - Dec. 19, 2008) a period of only a month and a half, there were 170 mortars, 255 Qassams, and 5 Grads fired upon Israel’s civilian population centers.
* Since the end of the Tahadiya (Dec. 19, 2009) until the beginning of Operation “Cast Lead,” (Dec. 27, 2008) a period of little more than a week, there were approximately 300 mortars and rockets fired onto Israel.
* Since the begining of Operation ”Cast Lead”, there have been an additional 500 launches, 284 of which have been verified as rockets (both Qassams and Grads), and 113 as mortars.

Taken from here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join